shape
carat
color
clarity

My girl choose this ring, what do ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bottomrock

Rough_Rock
I like this ring a lot too. I''m just interested about any comments that people may have. Thanks!!!

This is from Simon G. I found the picture on Harry Merrill after reading the forums, but I''ve also seen it in person.
http://www.hmerrill.com/shoponline.asp?point=moreinfo&catid=48&id=1270

We are thinking platinum setting, the sides are about .20 carats each. You''ll notice the pave set rounds (I was told about .31 carats total). Also notice the little heart in the center box (which I actually just noticed and never saw in person). And for the center.... you''ll have to imagine a 2.0 carat oval in the middle. We were looking in the VS1, G or H range. Total this will price out around $17-18,000.

As with any pic of jewelry, complete justice is not possible...

1270.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it''s very pretty. have you thought about a wedding band for it? something that won''t cover up the sides?

littleroman

Rough_Rock
Wow looks nice. Shop around maybe you can get a better price. One thing is for certain, everything is NEGOTIABLE.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 10:42:33 AM
Author: belle
i think it''s very pretty. have you thought about a wedding band for it? something that won''t cover up the sides?

I agree. Sometimes gals (and guys) forget about the wedding band when picking out an e-ring and then have problems finding a good match when the time comes. It is very pretty though...

honeydoll

Rough_Rock
I''m also looking at some of Simon G''s work for my setting.

I like this one, but worry that it might be a bit too bulky. Does your gf do any type of work that the ring might get in the way? I work as an RN, so if I owned this ring, I''d probably be leaving it at home for every shift.

Good luck :)

honey

bottomrock

Rough_Rock
Already a lot of input, thanks everyone!!! The wedding band was a concern of mine also. Do you think I should look into that more seriously now or wait until after the engagement?

It does look a little bulky, it''s 5.5mm at its widest point. But when it''s on the finger its great. The way the sides flow up towards the center with smooth lines also helps make it look less bulky in real life. It also compliments the 2 ct oval thats hanging over each side. These are just my thoughts as I''m going along. Any other input is greatly appreciated.

As far as shopping around. So far we''ve had trouble finding this ring at other stores. I''ve been looking for other stores that carry Simon G, but some of them are very far away and most of them dont have their entire inventory online. Is it appropriate to call around and ask them about this ring. That leads into my other problem... I still dont know the style number for this ring, since I can''t find it in their online catalog. I dont know how to reference this ring (other than the picture) when calling around. Any ideas?

THANKS!!!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 11:10:35 AM
Author: bottomrock
Already a lot of input, thanks everyone!!! The wedding band was a concern of mine also. Do you think I should look into that more seriously now or wait until after the engagement?

It does look a little bulky, it's 5.5mm at its widest point. But when it's on the finger its great. The way the sides flow up towards the center with smooth lines also helps make it look less bulky in real life. It also compliments the 2 ct oval thats hanging over each side. These are just my thoughts as I'm going along. Any other input is greatly appreciated.

As far as shopping around. So far we've had trouble finding this ring at other stores. I've been looking for other stores that carry Simon G, but some of them are very far away and most of them dont have their entire inventory online. Is it appropriate to call around and ask them about this ring. That leads into my other problem... I still dont know the style number for this ring, since I can't find it in their online catalog. I dont know how to reference this ring (other than the picture) when calling around. Any ideas?

THANKS!!!
I would definitely decide on the wedding ring plan before committing to the engagement ring. It is a beautiful ring, and one option, if you both really love it, is to wear it stand-alone. I wasn't open to this idea when I was engaged, and I now kind of regret it. Because quite often the prettiest rings are better stand-alone. To get matching rings does limit you more. But a thin pave band might work with it - you'd have to try it. Personally, I think it would look beautiful with an oval center stone, and if it were me, I'd get it and wear it stand-alone, and maybe get a simple wedding band that I would wear separately, if I was worried about not wanting to wear the e-ring all the time.

I know what you mean about the Simon G stuff - I've run across the same problem. I saw a ring the other day that I liked, but can't find it anywhere in their catalog or other vendors' sites.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto on the wedding band concern.

It is definitely appropriate for you to call different vendors for the best setting price you can find. There ar quite a few vendors on PS that carry that line too.

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
If she is in complete love with the ring, then I would get it no matter what. If you can''t find a band to match it, you can always have something designed.... Just my .02

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s beautiful! But I''d contact Simon G and ask what they recommend for a wedding band with it. I think these designer rings look best with the matching band, usually (see Mike''s Verragio thread in Show me the ring for a good example). Otherwise, I think it would be best to have it be a stand-alone engagement/wedding ring.

bottomrock

Rough_Rock
Thanks again to everyone. I''m very glad I came across these forums, because if I hadn''t...

I would have never looked seriously at online jewelers. I contacted Harry Merrill and they gave me a quote for the same setting and it''s 20% less. So it makes me look at my local vendor in a whole new light. Plus they also mentioned prices of varying side diamonds. Although I knew it was possible, my local vendor made it sound like he would have to customize it himself, when really it can be ordered with up to .50 ct (instead of the .40) side ovals for only a couple hundred dollars.

Would have never thought to consider using this as a stand-alone ring (if I can''t find a matching wedding band).
But I have also emailed Simon G to ask their opinions. I originally emailed them and did find their style number is LP1490 for this ring.

I would never have found so much information on determining proper cuts.

And much more!!! Thanks again to everyone. Now I have the ammo to play hardball with these guys. I''m going out to meet with a couple of them now. Wish me luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results