shape
carat
color
clarity

My first home-made lasagna ... This recipe?

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I mix cottage, ricotta & philly cream cheese all together in large bowl with sauted spinach and make a mixture. Then when I layer noodles I spread this on them. Then add meat and cheeses. I normally do deep pan with 3 layers of this. It’s amazing

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lasagna.
1 28-ounce jar of low-fat spaghetti sauce (you choose brand)

1 16-ounce can fat-free chicken stock

2 eggs

8 ounces grated part-skim mozzarella cheese

2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese

1 package frozen chopped spinach

1 finely chopped onion

1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms

1/2 tsp. soy sauce

1 tsp. balsamic vinegar

8 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Lightly oil bottom of baking pan. Stir one cup of the chicken stock into the spaghetti sauce and set aside. Whisk the egg. Stir in ricotta cheese and one cup of the mozzarella. Add garlic, salt and pepper and set aside.

4. Sauté the onion in 1/2 cup chicken stock until it is translucent. Cook the mushrooms in the remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock adding the soy sauce and vinegar. Simmer until all liquid is absorbed. Mix together spinach, onions and mushrooms.

5. Build the lasagna starting with a layer of sauce in the bottom of the pan. Add one layer of the uncooked noodles followed by more sauce, 1/3 of the cheese mixture and 1/3 of the spinach/beef mixture. Repeat two more times, finishing off with the spinach mixture and the remaining sauce.

6. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until liquid around the edges has been absorbed. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top and bake for 15 minutes more. Serves 10.

And a Cooks Illustrated recipe for Vegetable Lasagna. Tried and tested and very delicious. IMO.
Recipe hopefully attached below. PDF file.

lasagnaalagreg.jpg

Attachments

• Cook'sIllustratedvegetarianlasagna.pdf
    21.7 KB · Views: 27

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so funny. I made homemade lasagna this weekend and used this recipe generally. It was super delicious, the only thing I changed is used more pasta and could have used more ricotta. I will def make it again. I happen to be at whole foods (bought free range beef, fresh ground mild Italian sausage) so it was pricey but was worth it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a photography geek.
I usually take a zillion hours to set up lighting, take first pic, fix this or that, take another.
Rinse, Lather, Repeat.
Rinse, Lather, Repeat.
Rinse, Lather, Repeat.
Rinse, Lather, Repeat.
Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

Posting a pic I'm happy with usually take hours, but fvck it.
I'm exhausted.
The below lasagna pic is all I'm up to right now, it's midnight.

Never again.
Lasagna from scratch is such an insanely LABOR INTENSIVE TASK, even though I cheated by not making the marinara sauce from scratch !!!!!!!!!!!!
If I ever do this again I'll take shortcuts.
Better yet, I'll just buy the fragging frozen crap at Costco.
Good enough! Sheesh!

In 90 minutes ( at 1:30 AM) we'll finally get to taste it.

Below is the requested, and reluctantly posted, pic right before going into the oven.
Yea yea yea, I first evened out the freshly-grated parmesan.
The paper lists the weight, in ounces and grams, of each of the 10 layers.
What a hassle.

What really pissed me of is the recipe says the prep time is 20 minutes.
Yeah Right! :angryfire:

Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 12.08.10 AM.jpg

lasagna.jpg

yum
if i go outside and face north east i think i can catch a wiff of its wonderfulness on the breeze

well done
and enjoy
i hope your SO was appreciative of all that effort
maybe his turn to name it next?

thank you for the photo

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so funny. I made homemade lasagna this weekend and used this recipe generally. It was super delicious, the only thing I changed is used more pasta and could have used more ricotta. I will def make it again. I happen to be at whole foods (bought free range beef, fresh ground mild Italian sausage) so it was pricey but was worth it.https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23600/worlds-best-lasagna/

IMG_20191222_182845626.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so funny. I made homemade lasagna this weekend and used this recipe generally. It was super delicious, the only thing I changed is used more pasta and could have used more ricotta. I will def make it again. I happen to be at whole foods (bought free range beef, fresh ground mild Italian sausage) so it was pricey but was worth it.

If you're referring to the recipe in my OP I agree more ricotta would be better.
Next time.

I'm so lucky to have this old Italian deli nearby.
Their sausage, made fresh every morning, is only $2.79 a pound.
Each link is 3/4 pound, and an embarrassing 16" long. :oops: but lotsa fun for chasing the SO around the house.:lol-2:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol! Italian delis are so great. Where my former sil and bil live they can walk to one. Not only can you buy meats there, they make sandwiches to die for, plus can buy things like tiramisu for dessert. So good.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry it took so long :cry2:. Don’t give up. I’m in the UK think we must make our lasagnes very differently over here. I always make a pint of roux sauce and add some nutmeg and a load of cheddar cheese (don’t know if you will be familiar with this) that’s it. I might sprinkle some parmesan on top of I’m being adventurous. The meat I use mince beef and smoked bacon lardons (this is my own addition) but love them and some garlic, no onion as I don’t think they add to the party, load of red wine, tin of chopped tomato and some purée and chestnut mushrooms. Dried sheets or pasta. Do 3 layers. This will sound arrogant but it’s really good. Takes me 45 mins. However whether this bares any resemblance to US lasagne who knows. Have a nice roasted veg recipe if anyone is interested with artichokes mmm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results