shape
carat
color
clarity

My experience with my Ideal Scope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Derek

Rough_Rock
I received my professional model Ideal-Scope in the mail and I unleased its power on my local jewelers today!
First I tried my mother's diamond, not much pink at all, thought I might be doing something wrong so I rechecked the tutorial, it was the diamond (I didn't tell her).
Next stop jeweler number 1, local jeweler. I looked at some uncerted unknown quality stones. More pink, lots of white in the table and around the edges. It was kind of confusing because there was such a mess of facets in the diamonds it was hard to tell what was what. After some study I came to the conclusion that I had to relax and just look for the overall color patterns.

Jeweler 2, mid tier jeweler. Looked at quite a few triple 0 diamonds (not H&A quality) and some near ideal. Still quite a bit of white and light pink. Not using the scope I was really turned off by the the 000 stones because at certain angles at arms length the arrow pattern reflected very clearly but in a bad way (in my opinion) the rest of the stone kind of dimmed and all that was left was the arrows. I could definitly see a difference with the ideal scope, with the naked eye, I preferred the lesser cut for it's consistency, those arrows just bugged me.

Jeweler 3, elite jeweler (lots of stuff I can't afford). Looked at their brand of super ideal cut 000 next to an AGS 3 cut (HCA score of 3.3, I forgot to get the stats of the 000). I was baffled. Not much difference in the ideal scope, everything was pink! Even the arrow pattern was pink! Looking at them on their own I couldn't see any difference. Both were a vast improvement over Jeweler 2. Symmetry in both looked beyond exact. After 2.5 hours there (I looked at some other stuff too) and a few more stones with similar results I called it quits for the day. My favorite stone of the day was mounted in a pendant, looked like a star burst was caught inside, stunning.

My overall impression, you can't trick the ideal scope, I'm glad I bought it.
Diamonds have to be bought by sight, it doesn't matter what the cert says (I'm still trying to digest this notion, it makes my head hurt).

Questions:
What is up with the diamonds that showed practically all pink, arrows were there but they were pink too? (One was an HCA 3.3, I'll get the other stats by next week, they were 000s though)
When I look through the table and I see a circle around the culet where the arrows meet, what is that? The jeweler #3 stones did not have that, every other stone I have looked at displays the circle scope or no scope.
What makes that facinating star burst pattern? Looks like 1000s of light rays shooting out of the culet.

If the weather is bad again tomorrow the saga will continue, otherwise stay tuned until next week because I'm going boating.
Thanks in advance for any insight anyone has to offer.
-D

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Garry, I would be curious as to your reply.

1. could someone actually prefer AGS3. The reason I ask is that on another site when shown the stones under mag (pictures only - not real diamonds) I prefered the look of AGS3 as opposed to AGS1 - from the pic - was to light looking to me.

2. Is AGS that accurate w/ how the stone will ultimately perform and/or look?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
GH (inventor of the Ideal-Scope) response to Derek’s great story in CAPS (I am not shouting ).

First I tried my mother's diamond, not much pink at all, thought I might be doing something wrong so I rechecked the tutorial, it was the diamond (I didn't tell her).
LESS THAN 10% LOOK GOOD

Next stop jeweler number 1, local jeweler. I looked at some uncerted unknown quality stones. More pink, lots of white in the table and around the edges. It was kind of confusing because there was such a mess of facets in the diamonds it was hard to tell what was what. After some study I came to the conclusion that I had to relax and just look for the overall color patterns. CORRECT DEREK – YOU WILL FIND THAT THE PATTERNS ARE LIKE SNOW FLAKES OR KALIDASCOPE – THERE ARE MILLIONS OF POSSABILITIES

Jeweler 2, mid tier jeweler. Looked at quite a few triple 0 diamonds (not H&A quality) and some near ideal. Still quite a bit of white and light pink. SOUNDS LIKE YOU WERE LOOKING AT ‘STEEP DEEP’ AGS 000’S – THERE IS A SECTION ON THEM IN THE TUTORIAL https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_agsideal.asp

Not using the scope I was really turned off by the the 000 stones because at certain angles at arms length the arrow pattern reflected very clearly but in a bad way (in my opinion) the rest of the stone kind of dimmed and all that was left was the arrows. I could definitly see a difference with the ideal scope, with the naked eye, I preferred the lesser cut for it's consistency, those arrows just bugged me.
THEN YOU SHOULD NOT CONSIDER 8* AND H&A’S – THIS SHOWS JUST HOW PERSONAL DIAMOND SELECTION CAN BE. YOU PROBABLY WILL FIND THE IDEAL-SCOPE A BETTER JUDGE OF WHAT YOU LIKE NOW YOU KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR.
BUT MOST PEOPLE FIND THE CONTRASST (ESPECIAALLY WHEN YOU ROCK THE STONE) FROM THE STAR FLASHING ON AND OFF MAKES FOR MORE PERCIEVED BRILLIANCE – TRY IT DEREK.

Jeweler 3, elite jeweler (lots of stuff I can't afford). Looked at their brand of super ideal cut 000 next to an AGS 3 cut (HCA score of 3.3, I forgot to get the stats of the 000). I was baffled. Not much difference in the ideal scope, everything was pink! Even the arrow pattern was pink! Looking at them on their own I couldn't see any difference. Both were a vast improvement over Jeweler 2. Symmetry in both looked beyond exact. After 2.5 hours there (I looked at some other stuff too) and a few more stones with similar results I called it quits for the day. My favorite stone of the day was mounted in a pendant, looked like a star burst was caught inside, stunning. SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY NOW BE PREFERING DIAMONDS WITH BETTER STARS?
HAVE A LOOK AT THIS LINK http://www.cutstudy.com/octonus/english/gemreader/is/

My overall impression, you can't trick the ideal scope, I'm glad I bought it.
Diamonds have to be bought by sight, it doesn't matter what the cert says (I'm still trying to digest this notion, it makes my head hurt). HCA IS DESIGNED TO HELP ELIMINATE KNOWN POOR PERFORMERS, BUT AS YOU CAN SEE THERE ARE MANY PERSONAL PREFERENCES – I THINK YOU PROBABLY PREFER AN FIC STONE – VERY HARD TO FIND THOUGH.
http://www.diamond-cut.com.au/23_bicfic.htm

Questions:
What is up with the diamonds that showed practically all pink, arrows were there but they were pink too? (One was an HCA 3.3, I'll get the other stats by next week, they were 000s though) THE STARS RESULT FROM LIGHT THAT REFLECTS OFF THE LENS (HENCE IT IS DARK) AND GOES RIGHT BACK TO YOUR EYE. THE SAME THING HAPPENS WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE DIAMOND – A PERSON WITH A 6 INCH HEAD AT 16 INCHES VIEWING DISTANCE BLOCKS THE SAME AMOUNT OF LIGHT. THERE ARE SOME PROPORTIONS (LIKE 33 CROWN 40 PAVILION) THAT ALWAYS SHOW STRONG STAR EVEN FROM 2 YARDS AWAY).

When I look through the table and I see a circle around the culet where the arrows meet, what is that?
THIS IS A REFLECTION OF THE INTERNAL JUNCTION OF THE CROWN AND TABLE – IT IS NORMAL AND SHOULD USUALLY BE BETWEEN 20% AND 40% OF THE OVERALL SIZE OF THE TABLE. THE GIA TEACH A FLAWED METHOD OF PAVILION DEPTH ESTIMATION BASED ON THIS PATTERN.

The jeweler #3 stones did not have that, every other stone I have looked at displays the circle scope or no scope.
IT WOULD HAVE BEEN THERE. CAN DEPEND ON CEILNG / SURROUNDINGS COLOR WHEN LOOKING WITH NAKED EYE.
What makes that facinating star burst pattern? Looks like 1000s of light rays shooting out of the culet. ???? DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN, BUT IT SOUNDS PRETTY.

If the weather is bad again tomorrow the saga will continue, otherwise stay tuned until next week because I'm going boating.
Thanks in advance for any insight anyone has to offer.

Derek

Rough_Rock
Garry thank you very much for the detailed reply. I sincerely appreciate it!

I have been re-reviewing everything on the site in detail and before reading your response I guessed that my preference must be for FIC and that must have been what the pendant diamond was. When looking into the diamond it looked like there were many long, narrow facets radiating from the culet (that's what I mean by star burst). I'm now starting to better understand the interplay of the measurements.

I'll have a new update mid next week after the holiday weekend, along with all the measurements I neglected to record, especially for the pendant diamond.
-D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results