shape
carat
color
clarity

My dress dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
So this is definitely an after-the-fact post, purely to satisfy my curiosity. I have the dress and there''s nothing I can do about it now, but I just wanted to get the opinions of the PS crowd...

FI, if you''re here, stop reading now! There are dress pics below, not for your eyes!
11.gif

I''ve mentioned my dress dilemma in a couple of other posts already. Basically, I went shopping at David''s Bridal with a couple of girlfriends last May and ended up buying a dress I adored. It was totally "my style" and perfect for the non-traditional, informal wedding that I am planning. It''s a destination wedding dress, which was what I wanted because they''re different from typical wedding dresses and not at all poofy or frilly. A beautiful trumpet silhouette with ribbon detailing, a chic halter top, flowing organza fabric, very small train, and a sexy plunging neckline. Here''s the DB link, although the model pic does not do it justice at all; look at the "alternate view" and the real bride pics in the reviews instead.

I showed it to my mom and MOH for the first time about 2 months ago, and they hated it.
7.gif
They said it was too plain and didn''t think it was flattering (strange, because I think it gives me a great hourglass). But the kicker was that my mom took me aside and basically said "Whatever you want to wear is OK with me, but I know your FI won''t love this dress, and I would hate to see him disappointed on your wedding day." My FI has much more traditional wedding dress tastes. He actually went shopping with me the first time, and he fell in love with this dress. So you can see how our tastes are different; his is more traditional and fairy-tale, whereas mine are more sleek and modern. He loves trains; I think they belong on tracks, not dresses! You get the idea.

David''s Bridal has a policy that allows one exchange to a dress of equal or greater value, so I basically went back twice more and tried on almost every single dress in the store. I eventually decided to exchange it for this one. It fits perfectly without alterations and looks great. The only downsides are that it''s a little more ornate than I like, satin isn''t my favorite fabric, and it has more of a train than I like. It''s a compromise, but my mom and MOH loved it, and I know it will make my FI very happy! And I think the corset back alone justifies the exchange (but I may be rationalizing it a bit).

So what do you guys all think? I can''t go back now; the exchange is done, and although I still miss my old dress, I''m happy with the new one.

Pics to follow because this post is already too long (sorry)!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
OK, so here''s the first one, the halter trumpet...

jstar-trumpet1.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Back view, which I love, and it''s important to look good from the back!

Interestingly enough, FI mentioned that he doesn''t like buttons going all the way down to the hem. I thought this was a more "traditional" aspect that he would actually like. Oh well!

jstar-trumpet-back.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
And here's the one I exchanged it for. Sorry for the crappy camera phone pic! I didn't bring my camera when I tried it on.

ETA: I love that my reflection is in this pic (top left)...isn't that cool?

jstar-dress1.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Side view of the bodice, and also a nice pic of my e-ring, incidentally...

jstar-dress2.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
And my favorite, the view of the awesome corset back!

jstar-dress3.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
So what do you think of the old one vs. new? Love them? Hate them? Think I should have kept the old one? Think I was crazy for ever considering the old one?

Is the new one sleek enough for someone who initially wanted a destination wedding dress, or is it too poofy? I worry about poof a lot!

All opinions are welcome!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Just for fun, here are pics of the one my FI liked at first. WAY too poofy for me. There''s a crinoline slip underneath that I wouldn''t actually wear, but it would still be too poofy/fairy-tale without it.

jstar-pinkdress1.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
And the back of the poofy fairy-tale dress...

jstar-pinkdress2.jpg

pinkelephant

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I don''t post often, but I just wanted to say that I love your second dress on you. I think it makes your waist look tiny! I like the first one too, but I think the second is more flattering. Just my 2cents!

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
The second dress is so flattering on you!!!! I love it!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your sense of style -- both your original dress and the replacement. Both look awesome from the back too, but the corset back is a nice touch... and how often do you get to wear a dress with a corset back? It''s not as sleek as your first dress, but don''t think it''s too "poofy." Is it possible that some of the "poof" is caused by bunching because the hem is hitting the ground?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks; it''s good to hear people like the one I''m ultimately going with! Keep ''em coming, and be honest.

Date: 10/11/2008 6:48:49 PM
Author: VRBeauty
I like your sense of style -- both your original dress and the replacement. Both look awesome from the back too, but the corset back is a nice touch... and how often do you get to wear a dress with a corset back? It''s not as sleek as your first dress, but don''t think it''s too ''poofy.'' Is it possible that some of the ''poof'' is caused by bunching because the hem is hitting the ground?

Thanks! Definitely digging the corset. I guess I was thinking it was more poofy in the hip area because it''s an A-line instead of a trumpet, but the more dresses I look at, the more I realize it''s actually quite un-poofy. You''re right, though; the hem looked much better when I put shoes on! And of course it will look much sleeker after a good steaming.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I prefer the first dress because I don''t care for beading and I think its flattering on you. However, I think the second dress is still very beautiful and a good compromise between the more traditonal style and something simple. It looks very nice on you! You really couldn''t go wrong with either of the options so enjoy your new dress!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a great compromise, and very flattering on you. I like the first one, but something about the seams in the front was bothering me. This one is not incredibly poofy (like the one that he picked) and detailed, but not overly so. And I, too, love the corset back!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Freke - You know, I never noticed that before (about the seaming on the first dress)...but now that you bring it up, it''s true. The 2 seams going down the front of the skirt are a little weird.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 7:27:34 PM
Author: oobiecoo
Personally, I prefer the first dress because I don''t care for beading and I think its flattering on you. However, I think the second dress is still very beautiful and a good compromise between the more traditonal style and something simple. It looks very nice on you! You really couldn''t go wrong with either of the options so enjoy your new dress!

Yeah, I prefer simple styles over beading, but I think the 2nd one isn''t over-beaded. The funny thing is that when I told my FI I bought a different dress, the first thing he said was "Is there any embroidery?" LOL! He was really focused on having some sort of beading/embroidery on my dress.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I originally really wanted to try on your first dress (almost 3 years ago now!) but once I saw it in person, I decided I didn''t even want to try it on. It''s definitely not as bridal, and I wasn''t that much of a fan of how you could see the seams through the organza overlay. I definitely like your 2nd dress better, although I can see why you were more drawn to the first one for a destination wedding.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 7:46:06 PM
Author: Sabine
I originally really wanted to try on your first dress (almost 3 years ago now!) but once I saw it in person, I decided I didn''t even want to try it on. It''s definitely not as bridal, and I wasn''t that much of a fan of how you could see the seams through the organza overlay. I definitely like your 2nd dress better, although I can see why you were more drawn to the first one for a destination wedding.

Yeah, I can''t believe I didn''t notice the seaming earlier! It seems so in-your-face now; I guess I was just so in love with the dress that it didn''t bother me before. Glad you like the 2nd!

I should probably clarify that it''s not actually a destination wedding; I was just drawn to destination wedding dresses because they''re sleeker, simpler, and less expensive than typical wedding dresses. (Which reminds me, the new dress was $200 more than the old, unfortunately!) The wedding is actually in my hometown in PA.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I like the IDEA of the first dress - but as was previously mentioned, the seaming down the front was odd. I dunno, it just didn''t scream "gorgeous!"

I really like your second one, and I''m not usually a fan of the beading. The detailing is LOVELY! I love the corset back and the way the skirt gathers at the side - it''s really flattering!

I think you made a great choice!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I admit to loving your first dress on you. You weren''t wrong in your choice, it was lovely on you.

But...it''s important for the guy to think you are the most beautiful bride in the world, and since he loves the other style, I can understand the switch.
21.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
When I went dress shopping with my cousin a few months ago that halter was one of her favorites! I think its gorgeous and simple but I think that the second one (the one you got) fits you and flatters you the best. Great choice!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I think the second dress is very classy (not that the first isn't)! I love it!
36.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of your kind words! I feel a little more "validated" in my decision knowing you all like it.

Next question...I''m toying with the idea of adding some sort of strap, probably not a sleeve, but more of a spaghetti strap. David''s has sleeve options, which I don''t really like that much, so it would be something I''d ask my tailor to come up with. This wouldn''t be so much to hold up the dress as to make it different from the usual. Maybe something like the double crossed straps on this dress...? So what do you all think...leave it strapless or add something?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey! That''s mia''s dress!

I think it''d be ok with straps. I don''t see any problem with them.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and it''s gorgeous on her! I loved that dress from the moment I saw it online, and the crossing straps are just so cool! Mine wouldn''t be able to meet in the middle like that one, but maybe I could have them cross over instead.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
i like both of them, i think youll look gorgeous either way :)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I personally really like your second dress! The first did give you a good hourglass figure, but the second one enhances all of our features, makes you look tiny, has beautiful detail and I love the back!! I hope you fall in love with it.
1.gif

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
I love the first dress from the back, and it makes your figure look great from the front, but I don''t like the dress from the front at all. Does that make sense? I love your figure in the dress, but not the dress itself. It doesn''t look like a wedding dress to me. And the seaming is one of the first things I noticed about it. What I found when I tried on dresses at DB and Alfred Angelo, is that a lot of the seaming shows and puckers and makes the dress look cheap. That is what is happening on this dress. It just is not good construction.

So, I think you make a good choice by exchanging the dress for another one.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I was going to tell you at first that I loved the first dress on you - nothing''s wrong with the one you''ve ended up with, but I too don''t care for a lot of poof and want the sleeker feel. But I totally didn''t even notice the seams on the front until it was brought up in this thread, and now that I look for them, I think they do make it look not so sleek - they move with the shape of the dress and stand out too much. But I did love the shape and moderate ribbton detailing on the first dress - very pretty, and something I would have looked for also.

I like the second dress - it''s a totally different look than the first, emphasizing the hips instead of the sleekness of your figure like the first did. But it makes your waist tiny and the detailing is very pretty, so if it''s a good compromise and you are definitely happy with it then I say it''s all good to go!

And the dress with the crossing straps is Mia''s dress!! It''s beautiful in her pictures - the straps were one of my favorite parts about it. I think if you''re looking for straps, those would look great from behind.
1.gif
Congrats on getting a dress!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results