shape
carat
color
clarity

My Dog Swallowed a Flintstone Vitamin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 2:17:16 PM
Author: CJ2008

Date: 9/9/2009 1:54:45 PM
Author: soocool
It is nice to hear everyone''s feedback as to whether my neighbor should have offered to pay the vet bill. I truly did not expect her to offer and I woudn''t even think of asking her, but this morning when she called again she said, ''Boy that must have been some vet bill!'' and I replied that it certainly wasn''t an expected expense, but what was I to do. Her reply was, ''well if you had listened to me when I said nothing bad was going to happen, you wouldn''t be out the money.''

A little background on this neighbor:

About 5 years ago their well pump went and she was frantic trying to find someone to fix it. It was wintertime and the ground was saturated. She found someone who was willing to drive through her lawn to her backyard to fix her well pump. Well, long story, extremely short, the well company drove over my lawn and when they finished fixing the neighbor''s well pump and were trying to leave got stuck in the snow and mud. Tore up my lawn and broke several underground sprinkler heads and pipes. Total cost of repair was $4000.00. The well company wasn''t willing to drive the long way around their house, but she approved them driving through my lawn and destroy my property without our knowledge or permission.

In the end it was her word against the well company. The well company, after my contacting the police, paid for the damage - it took over 6 months. My neighbors didn''t offer to pay a cent or even offer to testify in case it went to court. What they got out of it-- the well company didn''t charge them for fixing their well pump. So now who made out in the end.

What really made my day was my other neighbor found out from her what had happened and had a few choice words for her and now they are not speaking. It seems that she has some prior experiences with this neighbor as well.
So is this why you posted the original question as to whether we thought she should offer to pay the bill or not? Originally you weren''t expecting the offer, but after she said that, it got you mad, or thinking that she should offer to pay?
I never said I was mad or ever expected her to pay. My question was somewhat of a generic one. If someone were is a similar situation, would you expect the other person to offer to pay.

And as to associating with this person, she lives right next door so it is pretty darn hard to avoid her if she is next door. I do have to leave the house sometimes.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I can also be voice of dissent and say while it would be nice if she offered, it isn''t obligatory. I would think that a children''s vitamin is pretty innocuous, had clue that there would be anything in significant quantity in a child''s vitamin to affect a dog, and it was an accident, by a child. It wasn''t like the child was feeding your dog antifreeze or something. A friend of ours had company over. One of our friend''s kid took a spill on the stairs because he slipped in his stocking feet (they have high polished floors). Head injury, emergency room, stitches. You could say that their floors were too slippery and they should pay for the doctor''s bills. Me, I say "stuff" happens.

Now if your neighbor is a jerk, that''s a different proposition. If you do not like her, simply do not have her in your house.

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 2:05:45 PM

After I read this, I thought to myself ''why is she even IN your house?''

Then again, I have a low tolerance for people to begin with...that whole well incident would have been enough for me to deeply dislike her, or at least lose any interest in seeing her other than as we pass each other...

And I think it was extremely rude of her to tell you that if you had listened, you wouldn''t be out the $.
+1... she definitely would not have been welcome in my home after the well incident.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 2:41:39 PM

It is nice to hear everyone''s feedback as to whether my neighbor should have offered to pay the vet bill. I truly did not expect her to offer and I woudn''t even think of asking her, but this morning when she called again she said, ''Boy that must have been some vet bill!'' and I replied that it certainly wasn''t an expected expense, but what was I to do. Her reply was, ''well if you had listened to me when I said nothing bad was going to happen, you wouldn''t be out the money.''

About 5 years ago their well pump went and she was frantic trying to find someone to fix it. It was wintertime and the ground was saturated. She found someone who was willing to drive through her lawn to her backyard to fix her well pump. Well, long story, extremely short, the well company drove over my lawn and when they finished fixing the neighbor''s well pump and were trying to leave got stuck in the snow and mud. Tore up my lawn and broke several underground sprinkler heads and pipes. Total cost of repair was $4000.00. The well company wasn''t willing to drive the long way around their house, but she approved them driving through my lawn and destroy my property without our knowledge or permission.

In the end it was her word against the well company. The well company, after my contacting the police, paid for the damage - it took over 6 months. My neighbors didn''t offer to pay a cent or even offer to testify in case it went to court. What they got out of it-- the well company didn''t charge them for fixing their well pump. So now who made out in the end.

What really made my day was my other neighbor found out from her what had happened and had a few choice words for her and now they are not speaking. It seems that she has some prior experiences with this neighbor as well.
So is this why you posted the original question as to whether we thought she should offer to pay the bill or not? Originally you weren''t expecting the offer, but after she said that, it got you mad, or thinking that she should offer to pay?
I never said I was mad or ever expected her to pay. My question was somewhat of a generic one. If someone were is a similar situation, would you expect the other person to offer to pay.

And as to associating with this person, she lives right next door so it is pretty darn hard to avoid her if she is next door. I do have to leave the house sometimes.
No, you never said it, that''s why I was asking? Couldn''t tell whether you were really pondering what you should do, or if you were just asking just to ask.

As far as associating with the neighbor...everyone''s different. I just expressed the thought that came to mind, if I were in your shoes. I would be civil, but not friendly enough to let her think she could come over/in my house. But that''s just me...wasn''t really saying it to criticize what you feel comfortable doing.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I never wanted my neighbor to come over, nor do I ever invite her over, or call her on the phone. But how do you avoid someone who lives right next door to you and has been for the past 15 years, other than moving?

Another interesting fact:

About 5 years ago (right after the lawn incident) her son was playing stickball with some other neighbor kids and their dads in the street. After hitting the ball, one of the kids released his stick and the neighbor boy was hit right in the jaw. His jaw was broken and had to be wired shut. He also lost a tooth, plus the other teeth were loose due to the impact. This neighbor expected the other neighbor should pay (not offer to pay, but pay the emergency and dental bills). This was an accident, wasn''t it?

When the shoe is on the other foot, some people sing a different tune.

But, thanks for knocking some sense into me as now I will do my best to avoid this neighbor and make sure she has no reason to come over and complicate my life again.
I wasn''t mad, but just bewildered at her response and attitude reagrding the entire incident. Perhaps if my dog were seriously ill or had died I may have had other feelings in regards to this situation.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Soocool, as a generic question, no, I don''t think she had to offer to pay. It would''ve been nice though (and I think most people would have in that situation).

In your specific situation ... man, what a nut! I totally agree with the others that I wouldn''t even let her in my house after the lawn incident.

I hope your pup is ok!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 3:27:38 PM

No, you never said it, that''s why I was asking? Couldn''t tell whether you were really pondering what you should do, or if you were just asking just to ask.

As far as associating with the neighbor...everyone''s different. I just expressed the thought that came to mind, if I were in your shoes. I would be civil, but not friendly enough to let her think she could come over/in my house. But that''s just me...wasn''t really saying it to criticize what you feel comfortable doing.
I know you mean well. In fact I just find the whole thing humorous right now as I think about it more and more. The part about the neighbor , not about my dog ingesting the vitamin.

Yesterday I guess I was mad at her (yes I''ll admit it) because I kept insisting that she show me the vitamin bottle so I could see what was in it and she didn''t want to show it to me. Now I know that I can contact the ASPCA poison hotline and they can tell me whether or not I should worry. Butwhen faced with a potential poisoning I''d rather react quickly and get the dog to a vet.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 3:50:01 PM

Date: 9/9/2009 3:27:38 PM

I know you mean well. In fact I just find the whole thing humorous right now as I think about it more and more. The part about the neighbor , not about my dog ingesting the vitamin.

Yesterday I guess I was mad at her (yes I''ll admit it) because I kept insisting that she show me the vitamin bottle so I could see what was in it and she didn''t want to show it to me. Now I know that I can contact the ASPCA poison hotline and they can tell me whether or not I should worry. Butwhen faced with a potential poisoning I''d rather react quickly and get the dog to a vet.
Man, I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that one! haha

I would have without a DOUBT, done what you did - take the dog to the vet immediately - I take no chances with my furbaby...and I''m glad you didn''t either.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 3:36:55 PM
I never wanted my neighbor to come over, nor do I ever invite her over, or call her on the phone. But how do you avoid someone who lives right next door to you and has been for the past 15 years, other than moving?

Another interesting fact:

About 5 years ago (right after the lawn incident) her son was playing stickball with some other neighbor kids and their dads in the street. After hitting the ball, one of the kids released his stick and the neighbor boy was hit right in the jaw. His jaw was broken and had to be wired shut. He also lost a tooth, plus the other teeth were loose due to the impact. This neighbor expected the other neighbor should pay (not offer to pay, but pay the emergency and dental bills). This was an accident, wasn''t it?

When the shoe is on the other foot, some people sing a different tune.

But, thanks for knocking some sense into me as now I will do my best to avoid this neighbor and make sure she has no reason to come over and complicate my life again.
I wasn''t mad, but just bewildered at her response and attitude reagrding the entire incident. Perhaps if my dog were seriously ill or had died I may have had other feelings in regards to this situation.
Yeah...that always makes a difference...

And I agree with you that the fact that you dog didn''t end up seriously sick or worse made a difference in how you thought/felt about the whole thing.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the heads up about xylatol and karo syrup. I''m glad your little one is okay.

Your neighbor sounds like a real gem. I don''t *think* I would expect a neighbor to pay in that situation, but given the history, I might be more likely to get annoyed if she didn''t offer.

My main question, though, what the hell was a kid doing walking around with a vitamin? Seriously. Did she bring one over from her home or was the whole bottle on mom''s person? If she was just playing with the thing, then mom should have taken it from her to begin with. If mom had the bottle on her, why on earth was the visit the ideal time to give her a vitamin?

This reminds me of when a mom showed up to my office for her kids physical and "by the way" he''d just gotten into a bottle of vitamins. She didn''t want to have to reschedule his physical to go to the ER!
29.gif
The kid vomited Flinstones all over our office as he was being shipped out via ambulance.

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
This lady seems a bit crazy, no?

My initial reaction was NO! of course she doesn''t have to pay, and of course in this given situation, and accident is an accident.
Her reaction/response is unreal! I''m sure that any calm feelings I would have had prior to that conversation would have flown out the door.
In her defense, most people are unaware that the vitamins are dangerous for pets (I had no idea until today!), none the less after your reaction and bringing your dog to the vet and explaining it to her...you''d think she''d have a light bulb moment and realize HEY it IS dangerous.
This is of course assuming you talked to her about the risk?

I''m not sure I understand why you associate with her. I know you said you''ve been neighbors for 15 years, etc...but I''ve never really socialized much with neighbors, because the last thing I want is a "friendship" that I never wanted to begin with! (re-reading that, I''m not sure my point came across, but I''ll leave it as is)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 12:46:20 AM
Author: Munchkin
Thanks for the heads up about xylatol and karo syrup. I''m glad your little one is okay.

Your neighbor sounds like a real gem. I don''t *think* I would expect a neighbor to pay in that situation, but given the history, I might be more likely to get annoyed if she didn''t offer.

My main question, though, what the hell was a kid doing walking around with a vitamin? Seriously. Did she bring one over from her home or was the whole bottle on mom''s person? If she was just playing with the thing, then mom should have taken it from her to begin with. If mom had the bottle on her, why on earth was the visit the ideal time to give her a vitamin?

This reminds me of when a mom showed up to my office for her kids physical and ''by the way'' he''d just gotten into a bottle of vitamins. She didn''t want to have to reschedule his physical to go to the ER!
29.gif
The kid vomited Flinstones all over our office as he was being shipped out via ambulance.
The kid had the vitamin in her hand. I had just come back home after taking the dog for a walk and the girl and mom decided to follow me up to the house. I normally like to let the dog into the house first, because he dislikes young kids who try to pick him up, etc and the mom knows it. The little girl runs up ahead as I am opening the door to try to pet the dog (her mom doesn''t do or say anything as this point) and as she gets close drops the vitamin and my dog being right there grabbed it. I tried to get it out of his mouth, but it was too late. It was a matter of seconds. Normally, I say"Leave it" and he does, but I think the dog thought the girl was giving him a treat. In hindsight I should have picked him up when she was getting closer.

Well, the good thing, the neighbor looked the other way when she saw me this morning. I make sure I do not walk past her house anymore when I walkthe dog. She has had at least 3 dogs that I know of and none made it past 4 or 5 years old. They all died of some mysterious illness. I am guessing accidental poisoning. One time I remember the dog eating cinnamon raisin bread and I told her that raisins and grapes are poisonous to dogs and she just ignored me. She is severely mentally challenged IMO. The stories I could tell.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info about xylatol, I had no idea! You learn something every day!

I don''t think she should have offered to pay, but that''s just me. I think the onus is on the owner to train the dog not to eat anything on the floor--anything that falls, whether it''s off the table or out of somebody''s hand is off limits. As our instructor says, the "leave it" command is always taught early and used often.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 11:07:45 AM
Author: sparkly_stars
This lady seems a bit crazy, no?

My initial reaction was NO! of course she doesn''t have to pay, and of course in this given situation, and accident is an accident.
Her reaction/response is unreal! I''m sure that any calm feelings I would have had prior to that conversation would have flown out the door.
In her defense, most people are unaware that the vitamins are dangerous for pets (I had no idea until today!), none the less after your reaction and bringing your dog to the vet and explaining it to her...you''d think she''d have a light bulb moment and realize HEY it IS dangerous.
This is of course assuming you talked to her about the risk?

I''m not sure I understand why you associate with her. I know you said you''ve been neighbors for 15 years, etc...but I''ve never really socialized much with neighbors, because the last thing I want is a ''friendship'' that I never wanted to begin with! (re-reading that, I''m not sure my point came across, but I''ll leave it as is)
I really don''t associate with her. I wave to her and her DH and that is it. We never invite them over, call them, send them holiday cards, etc. Just the normal waving that is it. If I am outside and she is driving by she honks (literally she can be a few feet away and honks and scares the heck out of me... I can''t stand people who honk to get my attention. She could just as easily roll down her window and say hi, like the rest of the normal neighbors.)

Another funny story.... to make you laugh. Last summer they all got head lice and the mom had all the kids outside trying to pick the nits out of their hair and the kids are screaming and the mom screams at the oldest girl (18) so the whole neighborhood could hear "If I ever find out your boyfriend and you had sex in my bed again I will throw you out of this house." Hard to believe I live in an upscale area .

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
hahahahahahahahahaha.
classy, isn''t she?

Oh I must have misunderstood, I thought you guys were in your kitchen when the vitamin fell.
I hate neighbors like that though, that try to migrate into your life. My mom wanted to sell her retirement home (a beautiful log cabin 5 min. from the beach) because she had busy body neighbors that wouldn''t butt out! haha.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/10/2009 11:37:11 AM
If I am outside and she is driving by she honks (literally she can be a few feet away and honks and scares the heck out of me... I can't stand people who honk to get my attention. She could just as easily roll down her window and say hi, like the rest of the normal neighbors.)

Tell her to not honk at you because you don't like it.

You have feelings and you have thoughts.
You are a tax-paying citizen of the world have a right to the air you breath and to not be treated badly by others.

Why do people put up with being treated badly when it is in their power to change such things?
33.gif

I don't get it.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 11:28:01 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Thanks for the info about xylatol, I had no idea! You learn something every day!

I don''t think she should have offered to pay, but that''s just me. I think the onus is on the owner to train the dog not to eat anything on the floor--anything that falls, whether it''s off the table or out of somebody''s hand is off limits. As our instructor says, the ''leave it'' command is always taught early and used often.
That''s our command. Or we''ll just say "eh!" and she knows it means "DO NOT MOVE!" LOL
9.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 12:49:34 PM
Author: Bia

I don''t think she should have offered to pay, but that''s just me. I think the onus is on the owner to train the dog not to eat anything on the floor--anything that falls, whether it''s off the table or out of somebody''s hand is off limits. As our instructor says, the ''leave it'' command is always taught early and used often.
That''s our command. Or we''ll just say ''eh!'' and she knows it means ''DO NOT MOVE!'' LOL
9.gif
I need to get some really yummy and smelly treats and start training again , especially "Leave It " and "Drop It". I''ve become lax.... training should be ongoing and I should know better. He''ll do anything for a treat!

Bia, I like the "eh" ..it''s usually the first thing out of my mouth anyway.
face23.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 1:12:46 PM

Date: 9/10/2009 12:49:34 PM
Author: Bia

I don't think she should have offered to pay, but that's just me. I think the onus is on the owner to train the dog not to eat anything on the floor--anything that falls, whether it's off the table or out of somebody's hand is off limits. As our instructor says, the 'leave it' command is always taught early and used often.
That's our command. Or we'll just say 'eh!' and she knows it means 'DO NOT MOVE!' LOL
9.gif
I need to get some really yummy and smelly treats and start training again , especially 'Leave It ' and 'Drop It'. I've become lax.... training should be ongoing and I should know better. He'll do anything for a treat!

Bia, I like the 'eh' ..it's usually the first thing out of my mouth anyway.
face23.gif
Whatever works with these little
11.gif
s right?

28.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
This is too funny--"eh" (it''s actually a VERY annoying sound) is the first thing out of my mouth, too. It''s also the "don''t move" command for us, too. When they hear it, they freeze.

I''m very messy in the kitchen, haha, so the boys are very used to not eating things off of the floor. It''s sort of training by accident!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results