shape
carat
color
clarity

My diamond from first marriage

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gingersknapp

Rough_Rock
Good morning ~
20.gif

I joined this forum in hopes of getting one question answered, not realizing it is actually more of a social network. (?)

Well, I will so much appreciate it if anyone can give me even a ball park guess. I want to sell my wedding ring from my first marriage. My question is this: If my diamond cost $500 38 years ago, roughly how much would it be worth today? I do not know the diamondspeak information about it such as cut, grade, carot, etc. My guess is half carot. It is round and, of course, multi-facited.

Thanks in advance,
Gingersknapp
21.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2009 11:26:54 AM
Author:gingersknapp
Good morning ~
20.gif

I joined this forum in hopes of getting one question answered, not realizing it is actually more of a social network. (?)

Well, I will so much appreciate it if anyone can give me even a ball park guess. I want to sell my wedding ring from my first marriage. My question is this: If my diamond cost $500 38 years ago, roughly how much would it be worth today? I do not know the diamondspeak information about it such as cut, grade, carot, etc. My guess is half carot. It is round and, of course, multi-facited.

Thanks in advance,
Gingersknapp
21.gif
Hi gingersknapp!

Regrettably diamonds are not good investments and as it is a long time ago you purchased it - it is really difficult to tell if you don't know anything about the colour or clarity etc. What I would suggest you do is to find out what you actually have, and in order to do this an independant appraisal would be the way to proceed, explain that you need information on the diamond in order to try to sell it. Here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

http://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Once you know what you have then you will know if it is worth trying to sell it or not.

Hope this helps!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Welcome here Gingersknapp! Hope you enjoy the forum.

Have you ever had the ring ensured? Is there perhaps an appraisal somewhere in your insurance documents? There would be more information available on an appraisal, no matter how old it is. Knowing the cost years ago doesn't really allow one to calculate the cost today, as there are many variables that affect the price of a ring.

If you don't have an appraisal, they are easy to get and would give you a good idea of where to start.

LS

ETA: Lorelei was quicker on the "submit" button than I was! HiYa Lorelei!
35.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ginger -- welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

I can''t add to the excellent advice you''ve already been given to your question, but maybe I can dispel some of the confusion about the Pricescope.

For some reason when you found us, you landed in the "hangout" forum. It''s one of the places on Pricescope where PS members can discuss things not necessarily related to diamonds and jewelry, although these topics are never far from a PS''er''s thoughts, so they do pop up in many a post here.

However, PS''s raison d''etre is to provide good, reliable information about diamonds. The knowledge, tools, and resources buttons on the top of the page will give you access to many options for learning more about diamonds that would help anyone looking to buy a diamond. The "forums" button will give you access to other PS forums -- the "rocky talk" forum is a great place to ask for input about selecting, buying, or even selling a diamond. I''m constantly impressed at how freely PS members share their expertise with people who come in seeking help.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2009 11:40:34 AM
Author: LostSapphire
Welcome here Gingersknapp! Hope you enjoy the forum.

Have you ever had the ring ensured? Is there perhaps an appraisal somewhere in your insurance documents? There would be more information available on an appraisal, no matter how old it is. Knowing the cost years ago doesn''t really allow one to calculate the cost today, as there are many variables that affect the price of a ring.

If you don''t have an appraisal, they are easy to get and would give you a good idea of where to start.

LS

ETA: Lorelei was quicker on the ''submit'' button than I was! HiYa Lorelei!
35.gif
LOL!! Hiya Lostie!!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results