shape
carat
color
clarity

~*~*~*~My Daughter''s Louis Vuitton Bag~*~*~*~

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started posting in Burberrygirl''s thread about how, in a moment of insanity, I bought my daughter a Louis Vuitton bag and wallet for her 17th birthday. Bebe responded to my posting in that thread. Rather than continue the threadjack, I thought I would start my own thread, with a picture. I admire the purse, but I couldn''t afford it! At least not prudently!!! Having done it, though, I at least hope that people admire it! (How is that for mixed up. Or is the term, "ambivalent"? No. My husband would say the term is, "crazy"!!!)

AGBF
34.gif

LouisVuittonTivoliPM2.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hi AGBF! What a lovely bag!! Your daughter is very lucky.

I do have to admit though, that your post kindof struck me...I started carrying her tiny Coach purse at 13 and was given my own with matching wallet at 16 - keep in mind that my mom got her first Coach bag in her mid 40's. I only say this because I detected reservation in your description, so please ignore my comments if you disagree - but while I loved having beautiful things at a young age, it also made for very tough times, and still makes for tough times now that I'm a wage-earning adult. Sometimes it's hard to understand that I can't lavish myself with gifts the way that my parents did. It's a wonderful gift for your daughter if she is responsible and understands that magnitude of such a gift - and maybe I can say this only because I'm not a parent yet, and I can only think of my own experience with my mother - but should your daughter lose sight - for even a moment- of how adult the gift is and how precious her relationship is with you, I hope you'll snap that bag back and carry it yourself!! It's gorgeous and deserves to be carried. :)

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! I didn''t mind your thread jack at all! I think she''ll love it, you should post it in the purse forum. They''re experts on all things designer, especially LV.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering if that''s the Tivoli PM or GM..

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/25/2009 7:16:03 PM
Author: Burberrygirl

Hi, Burberrygirl-Thank you for your generosity in being willing to share your thread :). It is the Tivoli PM, but I have no idea what PM and GM stand for. In fact, if I hadn''t had the receipt in a drawer, I wouldn''t have been able to post a picture of the purse, since the bags all look similar to me and I wouldn''t have been able to pick it out of a line-up!

AGBF
34.gif

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
PM and GM is just the size of the bag. Some styles come in smaller and bigger sizes. From smallest to largest it goes PM, MM and GM. I think the PM is a great size for her, good choice!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF will you adopt me?
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERY cool bag!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/26/2009 5:08:30 AM
Author: kribbie

AGBF will you adopt me?
1.gif

Maybe. It''s the only way anyone gets to enter our family ;-). First our daughter...then the crazy Lab, Biscuit, who bit anyone who came to the front door.... I think one has to have at least an eccentricity to qualify as one of our children, though. Do you have one? Being totally insane and being able to keep me off-balance would give you a definite edge. :)

AGBF
34.gif

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 6:56:34 PM
Author:AGBF

I started posting in Burberrygirl''s thread about how, in a moment of insanity, I bought my daughter a Louis Vuitton bag and wallet for her 17th birthday. Bebe responded to my posting in that thread. Rather than continue the threadjack, I thought I would start my own thread, with a picture. I admire the purse, but I couldn''t afford it! At least not prudently!!! Having done it, though, I at least hope that people admire it! (How is that for mixed up. Or is the term, ''ambivalent''? No. My husband would say the term is, ''crazy''!!!)

AGBF
34.gif
It''s a beautiful handbag.
If you were a close friend, though, instead of a stranger on a message board, I''d admire and then advise you to return it, even if your daughter has already seen it. The reason I say that is that you say you couldn''t afford it "at least not prudently''. I think one of the biggest gifts my late father gave to me was his continual advice that if I couldn''t afford something, I shouldn''t even go and look at it in the store, no matter what it was, even if I needed it, but to find some way to do without it. This was important advice because I spent a lot of my youth at schools and other places with the children of people much wealthier than he was, and a lot of them were snobbish and nasty and/or ignoring when you didn''t have the right ''things''. My father also continually repeated and managed to convince me (probably because he made it obvious that he adored me at all times) that I was a valuable human being just because I was me and I should always be confident in any situation and treat every else well and politely, while making it clear that I expected to be treated the same way. I get insecure sometimes before I go somewhere where I think I''ll be out of my league, but when I remember what he said, then I''m always fine.

I''m sure your daughter is a beautiful girl, I can tell that you adore her, best to both of you; I hope you are not offended by my advice. She''ll be angry and hurt if she''s already seen the bag, if you do return it, but I think that would be temporary, and it is sort of a really important lesson to learn to live within your means and that there are things that you can''t have in life.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/26/2009 8:24:59 AM
Author: Black Jade

I started posting in Burberrygirl''s thread about how, in a moment of insanity, I bought my daughter a Louis Vuitton bag and wallet for her 17th birthday. Bebe responded to my posting in that thread. Rather than continue the threadjack, I thought I would start my own thread, with a picture. I admire the purse, but I couldn''t afford it! At least not prudently!!! Having done it, though, I at least hope that people admire it! (How is that for mixed up. Or is the term, ''ambivalent''? No. My husband would say the term is, ''crazy''!!!)

AGBF

34.gif

If you were a close friend, though, instead of a stranger on a message board, I''d admire and then advise you to return it, even if your daughter has already seen it. The reason I say that is that you say you couldn''t afford it ''at least not prudently''. I think one of the biggest gifts my late father gave to me was his continual advice that if I couldn''t afford something, I shouldn''t even go and look at it in the store, no matter what it was, even if I needed it, but to find some way to do without it. This was important advice because I spent a lot of my youth at schools and other places with the children of people much wealthier than he was, and a lot of them were snobbish and nasty and/or ignoring when you didn''t have the right ''things''. My father also continually repeated and managed to convince me (probably because he made it obvious that he adored me at all times) that I was a valuable human being just because I was me and I should always be confident in any situation and treat every else well and politely, while making it clear that I expected to be treated the same way. I get insecure sometimes before I go somewhere where I think I''ll be out of my league, but when I remember what he said, then I''m always fine.

I''m sure your daughter is a beautiful girl, I can tell that you adore her, best to both of you; I hope you are not offended by my advice. She''ll be angry and hurt if she''s already seen the bag, if you do return it, but I think that would be temporary, and it is sort of a really important lesson to learn to live within your means and that there are things that you can''t have in life.

I didn''t want to say anything,,, but I agree with Black Jade. If you don''t feel you really can afford it, you should probably return it. If thats not the case and you feel comfortable with the purchase go for it. My parents don''t charge anything, if they don''t have the cash then they don''t buy it. With purses I''ve always been the same, if I don''t have the cash in my hand I wont buy a new purse. The purse you picked is gorgeous, but there are a some nice LVs for less money. A speedy would be great, or a neverfull. There are tons of options including Burberry and many others. I wouldn''t really start off with a Tivoli PM, but it''s totally your money and your choice! Good luck, regardless it''s a beautiful purse.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Deb, maybe you can keep it for yourself?
12.gif
11.gif

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/26/2009 11:57:14 AM
Author: Miscka
Deb, maybe you can keep it for yourself?
12.gif
11.gif
Ditto!!!

It is quite a lovely bag, but something knots up in my stomach when teenagers are toting very expensive handbags. It is probably my background (farm girl, never gobs of cash, has had to work hard for my comforts), but just my opinion.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/26/2009 6:36:47 AM
Author: AGBF

Date:
8/26/2009 5:08:30 AM
Author: kribbie

AGBF will you adopt me?
1.gif

Maybe. It''s the only way anyone gets to enter our family ;-). First our daughter...then the crazy Lab, Biscuit, who bit anyone who came to the front door.... I think one has to have at least an eccentricity to qualify as one of our children, though. Do you have one? Being totally insane and being able to keep me off-balance would give you a definite edge. :)

AGBF
34.gif
Perfect! I''m as wacky as they get.
Where do I sign up?
2.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2009 8:24:59 AM
Author: Black Jade

AGBF
34.gif
If you were a close friend, though, instead of a stranger on a message board, I''d admire and then advise you to return it, even if your daughter has already seen it. The reason I say that is that you say you couldn''t afford it ''at least not prudently''. I think one of the biggest gifts my late father gave to me was his continual advice that if I couldn''t afford something, I shouldn''t even go and look at it in the store, no matter what it was, even if I needed it, but to find some way to do without it. This was important advice because I spent a lot of my youth at schools and other places with the children of people much wealthier than he was, and a lot of them were snobbish and nasty and/or ignoring when you didn''t have the right ''things''. My father also continually repeated and managed to convince me (probably because he made it obvious that he adored me at all times) that I was a valuable human being just because I was me and I should always be confident in any situation and treat every else well and politely, while making it clear that I expected to be treated the same way. I get insecure sometimes before I go somewhere where I think I''ll be out of my league, but when I remember what he said, then I''m always fine.

The bag is lovely. But I think Blackjack gave you some very sage advice. In the end, if you charged the purse...you''re going to essentially buy twice--once on the principal, once on interest.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 9:00:07 PM

Date:
8/25/2009 7:16:03 PM

Author: Burberrygirl

Hi, Burberrygirl-Thank you for your generosity in being willing to share your thread :). It is the Tivoli PM, but I have no idea what PM and GM stand for. In fact, if I hadn''t had the receipt in a drawer, I wouldn''t have been able to post a picture of the purse, since the bags all look similar to me and I wouldn''t have been able to pick it out of a line-up!

AGBF

34.gif

To hazard a guess, since LV is a french company I''d guess the acronyms correlate to petit modele, moyen modele, and grand modele. Hope this helps. Cute bag, BTW! What a generous mother, and what a lucky girl!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb, you are the sweetest mom!!! What a gorgeous bag!!!
30.gif
huge hugs to you friend
35.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your story and how your life experiences brought you to your perspective, Black Jade. I value your honesty; you are someone in whom I have always been interested. I like your down to earth values. I feel the same way about you, LitigatorChick.

My daughter has been carrying the purse for a couple of months so I could not, in good conscience, return it to a store even if I wished to do so (and I do not). I also have no desire to carry it myself. It would be truly wasted on me, since it would give me no joy whatsoever!

I think that it is I, and not my daughter, who has learned a lesson from overspending on this bag. I just cannot do it and feel comfortable, so I will endeavor not to do it again. I am attempting to rein in my spending on my daughter in general.

I do want to be clear when I said that I "could not afford" the bag that I never buy anything on credit! My husband and I use credit cards only to pay off the entire balance at the end of each month. We always buy our cars with "cash" (i.e. with a credit card that we pay off at the end of the month). We have at least 50%, maybe more, equity in our house. I was using "afford" loosely.

While paying for that bag will not put us into debt, continuing to buy extraordinarily expensive brand name luxury goods at outrageous prices does not feel right to me and I think I must listen to that voice inside myself. That is what I take from Black Jade''s posting: not that others shouldn''t continue to buy the Louis Vuitton bags for themselves as adults who choose to spend their money that way, but that I, who don''t feel comfortable spending my money this way, should not.

I thank all of you for sharing from your hearts. :)

AGBF
34.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
It''s lovely!!! What a wonderful mom you are!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/26/2009 6:57:51 PM

Thank you for sharing your story and how your life experiences brought you to your perspective, Black Jade. I value your honesty; you are someone in whom I have always been interested. I like your down to earth values. I feel the same way about you, LitigatorChick.

My daughter has been carrying the purse for a couple of months so I could not, in good conscience, return it to a store even if I wished to do so (and I do not). I also have no desire to carry it myself. It would be truly wasted on me, since it would give me no joy whatsoever!

I think that it is I, and not my daughter, who has learned a lesson from overspending on this bag. I just cannot do it and feel comfortable, so I will endeavor not to do it again. I am attempting to rein in my spending on my daughter in general.

I do want to be clear when I said that I ''could not afford'' the bag that I never buy anything on credit! My husband and I use credit cards only to pay off the entire balance at the end of each month. We always buy our cars with ''cash'' (i.e. with a credit card that we pay off at the end of the month). We have at least 50%, maybe more, equity in our house. I was using ''afford'' loosely.

While paying for that bag will not put us into debt, continuing to buy extraordinarily expensive brand name luxury goods at outrageous prices does not feel right to me and I think I must listen to that voice inside myself. That is what I take from Black Jade''s posting: not that others shouldn''t continue to buy the Louis Vuitton bags for themselves as adults who choose to spend their money that way, but that I, who don''t feel comfortable spending my money this way, should not.

I thank all of you for sharing from your hearts. :)

AGBF
34.gif
You are a classy lady.
Thank you for taking my post in the spirit in which it was intended.
I think a lot of us are learning the same lessons that you so eloquently describe at the end of your post, over the past year. There are a lot of things I would have bought last year that I wouldn''t buy this year, even though it wouldn''t put me into debt to do so. And its always harder with our children, isn''t it. We so want them to have ''the best'', even when we don''t want it for ourselves.

Your honest sharing is very much appreciated.

P.S. One thing for sure about Louis Vuitton--that bag will last a long, long time for your daughter to enjoy. That was the original idea of the bags, from what I saw when I lived in France (way back in the day when the speedy was almost the only style, before the big marketing began). You paid big, big bucks for a Vuitton bag--but then you never had to buy another handbag, ever. So the cost sort of amortized over time (I don''t know if that''s the right word, but you know what I mean). The bags become a waste of money only if you feel the need to change them all the time for new styles. (I don''t mean that people are wasting money, of course, provided they feel they can afford this.) So don''t be too hard on yourself for this one purchase. Best,

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I hope my post did not offend you, AGBF. I did not mean it to at all. I do not have kids, but have very much been guilty of "over buying" presents for those I love. It is so hard not to! Even my silly little dog has too many things.

I think it is a great bag (truly one of the best LV styles I have seen) and may your daughter enjoy it for a long time! Her lovely, generous mother gave it in much love. In fact, I was recently selling off some of my older bags (mostly Coach) and telling my DH that the ones I did not put up for sale were given to me as gifts from my mother, and even though I do not wear them anymore I couldn''t part with them because they meant a lot to me.

LTiffany

Rough_Rock
Sweet!
I like pink.
12.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/26/2009 9:44:51 PM
Author: Miscka

I hope my post did not offend you, AGBF.
Good gracious, no! How could I take offense at someone who suggested that I keep the bag for my own use!!!???? I thought you were very sweet to suggest what you did. I have felt supported by every single poster who contributed to this thread. I do find it very considerate of you to have cared, however. Thank you for being sensitive to what my feelings might have been. :).

Hugs,
AGBF
34.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

May she long enjoy it--for sure it will last and last!!

cheers--Sharon

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
OOOO what a terrific mom (I bet you are with or without buying her the bag) but wooo that sure is pretty!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 daughters, 19 and 22. I understand spoiling them.
2.gif
I think this was a wonderfully generous gift, and neither you nor your daughter should feel guilty about it. You obviously know your own financial limits, and I find it sad that people might hint otherwise or make you feel like you need to justify your purchase down to relating personal financial facts. Sometimes we spoil our kids. It''s a fact. The closer they are to moving out, the more we spoil them I think, because we *know* they won''t be able to buy these things for themselves for a *long* time, and they know that. Even at 17, she''s not unaware of the cost of things, and her ability to meet those costs, IMO. Enjoy her enjoying this gift!
9.gif

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/29/2009 10:28:06 AM
Author: lyra
I have 2 daughters, 19 and 22. I understand spoiling them.
2.gif
I think this was a wonderfully generous gift, and neither you nor your daughter should feel guilty about it. You obviously know your own financial limits, and I find it sad that people might hint otherwise or make you feel like you need to justify your purchase down to relating personal financial facts. Sometimes we spoil our kids. It's a fact. The closer they are to moving out, the more we spoil them I think, because we *know* they won't be able to buy these things for themselves for a *long* time, and they know that. Even at 17, she's not unaware of the cost of things, and her ability to meet those costs, IMO. Enjoy her enjoying this gift!
9.gif

Hi Lyra, I think you missed something AGBF posted on a different thread. I wasn't trying to be mean, maybe you'll understand my posts better after reading this:

Date: 8/25/2009 5:33:24 PM

I have a confession to make. I bought my daughter a Louis Vuitton bag and wallet for her 17th birthday. If her father knows, he has absolutely no idea what it cost. I think I need to have my head examined. I do not mean this as a reflection on any of the other posters in this thread. Obviously some people have the means to afford Louis Vuitton bags, even multiples of them, and I wish them well. My family and I are not among them. I am saving for my daughter's college tuition (although at the moment it seems as if I have more likelihood of having the money saved-since I started saving early-than of having a daughter academically prepared for an institute of higher learning). I don't know what came over me!!! I may have been reading too many threads on Pricescope! I carry an old Vera Bradley bag that I wash in the washing machine! My daughter has a gorgeous Dooney &Bouke bag and a couple of Coach bags and now has this one!

Where can I find a picture of it to post? I am hoping that this link to the bag works, but I'd like to post a photo. (Actually, her Dooney & Bourke bag is also very, very handsome. I like it a great deal. It isn't one of their silly ones!)

AGBF

I wasn't trying to make her feel guilty or feel like she needed to justify the purchase down to relating personal financial facts. I was simple going on her previous post.

AGBF - It's a gorgeous purse that your daughter will be able to enjoy for a long, long time. I'm sorry if I made you feel guilty or like you needed to justify yourself, it wasn't my intent. I really wasn't trying to be mean, I'm in the same position as your daughter (and I love all the presents my parents surprise me with).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear lyra,

You are so very kind to post what you did! Burberrygirl is quite right that I invited comments, however, by the nature of what I posted in this thread and the other thread to which she alluded. I was obviously being very open about my ambiguity and was showing a willingness to discuss the issue...why else bring it up on this public forum? You posters have been very kind to be sensitive to what my feelings might be, but I have felt nothing but support from everyone posting to this thread. I know hostility when I meet it...and there hasn''t been a trace of hostility in anyone''s posting in this thread. Everyone who spoke to me shared because she meant well. We all have different life experiences. Talking things over is good...as long as we remain civil. I feel lucky to have had this discussion with you wise and lovely women. Thank you.

AGBF
34.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, my intent wasn''t clear.
6.gif
I wasn''t thinking of the other post, or this one. I read it all. I just didn''t think ABGF needed to go into great detail about how the purchase fit in with her finances. I knew she was just feeling a bit guilty about it. Having a child about to leave home or start college are things I''m going through right now too, and I know firsthand that it''s common to want to send them off with some "substantial" gifts. It may be irrational, out of character, or whatever, but it''s just a natural thing for a mother to do. That''s all. I didn''t mean to seem like I was criticising anyone at all.
1.gif

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
The bag is absolutely gorgeous and your daughter is one lucky girl!
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results