shape
carat
color
clarity

My antique OEC ering

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
Finally got a digital camera!

The setting is platinum, circa 1920-30. The center stone is a 1.63 ct. OEC. (The weird looking thing on the table must be a fibre from the baby toothbrush I use to clean the ring-- macro mode on this camera picks up everything!) More pics coming after this one.

dulcringcloseup.jpg

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
In the sun...

dulciringonhand.jpg

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
...and in the shade. (Sorry; I'm a bit obsessed!)

shady.jpg

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
side view

sideviewdulc.jpg

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
okay, last one
1.gif

sidesundulc.jpg

sirene

Rough_Rock
What a lovely stone! I really do prefer the older cuts, I think. Your ring is gorgeous!

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
Thanks!
Old cuts are far and away my favorites, too. I wish I had the money to snap up lots of OECs and OMCs before they either get recut, or prices on the remaining stones go through the roof.

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous stone and gorgeous ring!!
love.gif

What are the stats on the stone, if I may ask?? It looks to be a well cut stone.

I'm curious as to how this stone performs under an Idealscope. I'd love to see a IS comparison between the modern RB and a well cut OEC.
naughty.gif

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
hi katbadness,

Here's some stats on the OEC, one set from EGL and one from my appraiser (appraiser examined the stone after it was set):

EGL: 1.63 ct. OEC, VS2, N, 7.50 x 7.14 x 4.53
appraiser: same except VVS2, J

I'm sure EGL nailed the color more accurately, since they looked at the unset stone. But there are very, very few lighting situations in which I've seen the stone show a kind of peachy-yellow color; usually it looks like a warm white. My appraiser might be more accurate on the clarity, because none of the jewelers who've seen the ring can find any inclusions under a 10x loupe. Neither can I, and I've spent quite a while staring into it.
2.gif

I'd love to see an IS comparison, too... wonder if Dave Atlas has one?
I wish I understood more about what makes a nice OEC so pretty. I compared about 8 stones when I was choosing one for my setting, and this one was far and away the fireiest, and it had a beautiful blocky sparkle that the others didn't quite match. It also faces up much whiter than the other stones I saw, many of which were given color grades in the I-J range. I wonder if it's just a matter of proportions??

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring. It's so lovely.
Nan

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring. I too have a ring with three european cut stones that are not top color but they are dazzling. I have actually had people come from across a room to look at it. The stones pick up light in a certain way that the more modern cuts do not. Your setting is beautiful and they just do not make them that way anymore. The new reproductions are nice but they do not compare in workmanship.
I think these stones have a beauty which is unique. I was originally told to have mine recut. Glad I didn't because these old stones have a look that people are first starting to appreciate. Your ring is different and stunning. Lots of luck.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, gorgeous! I love OECs
1.gif

Michelle

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful! I love OECs, and you have a particularly nice one.

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
Solange, just saw the photos of your 3-stone OEC ring: GORGEOUS! Those stones look simply exquisite. I just love the vine motif on the setting, too.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring. I really love the setting. Congrats on your ring.

Shay

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Solange, that ring and OEC are wonderful!

I'm so glad you didn't get it recut. If I had the money I'd go on a crusade to rescue all old cuts.

They are definitely gorgeous and worth saving.

win

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beautiful Ring...

Congratulations on such a nice stone and unique setting..
21.gif

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the compliments
1.gif

Found the full EGL cert, in case katbadness or others are interested in the other (possibly more telling) details:
Depth 61.6
Table 47.0
Crown 19.2
Pavilion 36.7
Girdle THICK TO EX. THICK
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence FAINT
Culet LARGE

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Where did you get it. I love old cut diamonds.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh, I can now die happy!
love.gif

I don't understand people who re-cut older stones. Why make your diamond another dime-a-dozen modern stone when you can flaunt a piece of history?

pandora

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous! I also have a couple of OEC's and I think they have so much more character than the modern cuts. I love the fire of these diamonds and I get lots of compliments also!

It's my understanding (correct me experts if I'm wrong!) that the OEC have a tiny hole drilled thru the center of the stone and that it creates the beautiful dispertion of light. Gorgeous!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
It's my understanding (correct me experts if I'm wrong!) that the OEC have a tiny hole drilled thru the center of the stone and that it creates the beautiful dispertion of light. Gorgeous!----------------

hmmmm. . .I've never heard this one! OEC have larger culets than most modern RB stones which now adays are either very small or left pointed. Possibly this is what you're referring to?

Michelle

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous stone!

Beautiful setting, too.

They are made for each other.

Your photos are great, too!

Congratulations and enjoy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results