shape
carat
color
clarity

My 1st Time: Old European Diamond Advice!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yea, I may ping him again and ask for more shots, but it seemed like this was the best he could do. I'm also envisioning the stone in a setting similar to this (which is from CVB), in yellow gold.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Im not sure how the stone color will be effected by the setting, but I love the antique vibe it puts off. RC was my SOs favorite setting but then she saw the OWD IG post Maltida posted above and made a comment about how gorgeous it was.

I feel like this setting almost blends the RC and the OWD setting, and creates something unique and beautiful. I'm just trying to find more angles of it.

That’s a BEAUTIFUL setting- I love it!

I’ve watched the new videos and I think I still prefer the N. It has beautiful bright flashes all the way throughout the stone to the edges. The L seems a little more dull to me- has bright flashes, but not as many and not as evenly distributed. The inclusions still annoy me on the L, though maybe not as much as before.

Please post more if you decide to check out the N in person! If they send it to you, make sure to ask for them to include a stone holder. It will be really helpful in seeing how it lights up on hand rather than in tweezers or a tray.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't made the purchase yet, as I would love any and all additional feedback, but right now I think it's a strong contender to at least take a look at.
I agree. I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you receive the stone.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I am sticking to the N. As there is a ten day return policy it is a good opportunity to test it out, especially the colour. However everyone sees colour differently and tolerates colour differently. It may be worth it in the long run if you r fiancé could see the diamond and express her opinion on the colour:
1. Whether she notices a tint?
2. If she notices a tint does it bother her? Or does she love the diamond in its entirety?

I am glad you chose Adam, especially as their "rule" of not setting outside diamonds I believe is a recent measure to ensure a sale with you.

The DK setting is more beautiful and sturdy in my opinion than the RC one anyway, probably will be a bit less than $3000.

YAY I am so happy she like the OWD setting, good that there are more options now.

To clarify it is CVB DAHLIA setting, but with a bit of a twist, shoulders are jewelled:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmkBk5iBaV8/

so it is the DAHLIA with these shoulders:

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/caysie-van-bebber/products/the-chloe-solitaire

The designer, Cassie van Bebber has variations on it, just other ideas :

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/caysie-van-bebber/products/the-dahlia-solitaire. can come in different metal colours

https://www.cvbinspireddesign.com/product/elsa-ring/ not the DAHLIA, but also pretty

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the N.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
If your CC and risk tolerance can handle it, and you’re still waffling, ask Adam to send you both diamonds to view in person. I purchased my antique cushion from him and he was great.

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
So I've ordered the N diamond, and will be sure to update you on my thoughts, as I'd love all of your opinions. Another question I had is based around the rings setting. So, I'm looking to go with this crown (which is the same crown in the previous setting post - the rest of the setting will be in Yellow Gold.), which covers a decent portion of the ring. With that being said, how do you think that will effect the stone's color? Do you think this will potentially hid some of the stone's color, enhance it, or have no real effect?

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 1.54.53 PM.png FullSizeRender.jpeg

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
So I've ordered the N diamond, and will be sure to update you on my thoughts, as I'd love all of your opinions. Another question I had is based around the rings setting. So, I'm looking to go with this crown (which is the same crown in the previous setting post - the rest of the setting will be in Yellow Gold.), which covers a decent portion of the ring. With that being said, how do you think that will effect the stone's color? Do you think this will potentially hid some of the stone's color, enhance it, or have no real effect?

Yay! Glad you found your stone :) Can't wait to hear your final thoughts on it. Your fiancee is one lucky lady. I second ordering both to compare in person if your credit card can handle it. If nothing else for peace of mind. But I know MY credit couldn't handle it, so if not, I do really think the N is the livelier of the two stones.

As for the setting. A white head with a yellow shank is a very classic and successful approach. If the stone reflects light nicely and doesn't seem too yellow to you once you get it, the white gold head shouldn't have too much effect on the color. Most likely you will get the larger size illusion with the white gold, but still some of the visual color contrast when looking at the whole ring with the yg shank. There is a chance it will look yellower in the wg head, but it all depends on the stone. If your fiancee has some white and yellow gold, my recommendation is to put the stone next to each metal and judge for yourself what looks best.

Just to clarify, are you using CVB to make the setting? Or are you just looking at her work for inspiration? The Dahlia head is of course beautiful, and pretty universally likable, but it IS very different looking than the RC head. Has your fiancee been able to tell you what it is she likes specifically about the RC ring? One of it's features are its almost petal-like NSEW prongs (where the prongs meet the stone at the cardinal compass points). The six-prong Dahlia is different look, and also the claw shape of the prongs is more severe (slightly less feminine). Something to keep in mind. It's still a beautiful ring though.

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
Yay! Glad you found your stone :) Can't wait to hear your final thoughts on it. Your fiancee is one lucky lady. I second ordering both to compare in person if your credit card can handle it. If nothing else for peace of mind. But I know MY credit couldn't handle it, so if not, I do really think the N is the livelier of the two stones.

As for the setting. A white head with a yellow shank is a very classic and successful approach. If the stone reflects light nicely and doesn't seem too yellow to you once you get it, the white gold head shouldn't have too much effect on the color. Most likely you will get the larger size illusion with the white gold, but still some of the visual color contrast when looking at the whole ring with the yg shank. There is a chance it will look yellower in the wg head, but it all depends on the stone. If your fiancee has some white and yellow gold, my recommendation is to put the stone next to each metal and judge for yourself what looks best.

Just to clarify, are you using CVB to make the setting? Or are you just looking at her work for inspiration? The Dahlia head is of course beautiful, and pretty universally likable, but it IS very different looking than the RC head. Has your fiancee been able to tell you what it is she likes specifically about the RC ring? One of it's features are its almost petal-like NSEW prongs (where the prongs meet the stone at the cardinal compass points). The six-prong Dahlia is different look, and also the claw shape of the prongs is more severe (slightly less feminine). Something to keep in mind. It's still a beautiful ring though.

Thanks for the notes! I'll have to see what she has that I can place the diamond on for comparison. But I'm lucky enough to live somewhat near my sister, who has a lot of settings we can compare the stone to.

Anyways, as far as the setting is concerned, I'm still working with Adam and OWD. I've showed him the setting I want and the crown, and told them they were from CVB. He assured me that he could pull something like that off, and even mentioned he works very closely with CVB. My fiancee was on IG and actually came across the CVB stippled crown (the exact one I pictured above) and noted how much she loved it, and how it was a beautiful ascent piece to the ring. After my sour experience with RC, I'd prefer to stay away from even copying their setting or doing something similar to it. But, to be safe, I sent all of the potential setting and crowns to my fiancee's best friend and sister, who know her just as well as anyone, and agreed that my CVB inspired setting is the best option as far as what my fiancee would love. The thing my fiancee liked about the RC setting was the shoulders - which the CVB contains.

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
Here's another shot of the crown. Just add in the shoulders from the other setting I sent, and call it a day! Potentially...

FullSizeRender-2.jpeg

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
Alright everyone, plot twist! Talked with Adam some more prior to ordering the N, and expressed my concerns about the potential color or yellow hue, and we agreed to search for something slightly better in color. I was slightly concerned how the N would look in various scenarios, to the point where I think I'd start second guessing the purchase and wondering "does she wish she had a more clear diamond?"

So, it looks like I'm highly considering ordering and checking out this 1.92 K/SI1 GIA OEC. The stone is eye clean, and looks lovely in the video. And, it was only slightly more expensive compared to that of the N. Thoughts on the video of it below and the GIA?

1.92 K/SI1 GIA OEC: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1037kfhqnCFmu5EBp6i8hVbcClYizSW-c

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 12.16.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 12.16.15 PM.png

Last edited:

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
So, it looks like I'm highly considering ordering and checking out this 1.92 K/SI1 GIA OEC. The stone is eye clean, and looks lovely in the video. And, it was only slightly more expensive compared to that of the N. Thoughts on the video of it below and the GIA?

1.92 K/SI1 GIA OEC: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1037kfhqnCFmu5EBp6i8hVbcClYizSW-c

Always better to think everything through yja after the fact

This also looks to be a very nice stone. From what I have seen in other's pieces K OECs tend to look pretty safely white (not icy, but white).

My only concern here is the 50% table. I personally prefer smaller tables in my OECs, BUT it is still much smaller that what you would see in a modern brilliant. I actually prefer the N because of the smaller table, but that is purely personal aesthetic preferences. The larger table in this K shows off its very pretty facet pattern under the table!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Alright everyone, plot twist! Talked with Adam some more prior to ordering the N, and expressed my concerns about the potential color or yellow hue, and we agreed to search for something slightly better in color. I was slightly concerned how the N would look in various scenarios, to the point where I think I'd start second guessing the purchase and wondering "does she wish she had a more clear diamond?"

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 12.16.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 12.16.15 PM.png

I quite like this one too. Like @elliefire99 said it has a larger table, which is a little bit of a different flavor than the N you looked at. My canary OEC has a 50% table and I don't mind it at all. It does show off the pretty faceting underneath it. Otherwise it looks like there's lots of on/off flash and pretty contrast happening. It looks a bit cushiony as well, which I find quite charming.

I do think you are much "safer" with K in an OEC. K's are very white. My OEC studs are K's and they are very white- no one every believes they are Ks.

Are you seeing the N too? Or just the K? Good luck in your choice @Khall0204 !

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the K stone is a great candidate! A 50% table is still small by modern round standards and I think color is a more important consideration for you. As long as Adam confirms the stone is eye clean, it has a nice facet pattern and is a prismatic stone!

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
Always better to think everything through yja after the fact

This also looks to be a very nice stone. From what I have seen in other's pieces K OECs tend to look pretty safely white (not icy, but white).

My only concern here is the 50% table. I personally prefer smaller tables in my OECs, BUT it is still much smaller that what you would see in a modern brilliant. I actually prefer the N because of the smaller table, but that is purely personal aesthetic preferences. The larger table in this K shows off its very pretty facet pattern under the table!
I quite like this one too. Like @elliefire99 said it has a larger table, which is a little bit of a different flavor than the N you looked at. My canary OEC has a 50% table and I don't mind it at all. It does show off the pretty faceting underneath it. Otherwise it looks like there's lots of on/off flash and pretty contrast happening. It looks a bit cushiony as well, which I find quite charming.

I do think you are much "safer" with K in an OEC. K's are very white. My OEC studs are K's and they are very white- no one every believes they are Ks.

Are you seeing the N too? Or just the K? Good luck in your choice @Khall0204 !

I never shared the GIA report from the N, but it actually had a 51% table. I'm not incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to noticing / understanding these dimensions - I was just going off what I thought looked nice with the eye!

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 2.16.07 PM.png

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the K - I prefer it to the N actually. I’ve got a 50% table in my OEC and it makes for some lovely fat petals under the table.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Ah! My eyes are deceiving me it seems. In that case... by all means the K :) It really does have a beautiful faceting pattern.

It also appears that I am in quite the minority for my N preference. Haha.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I never shared the GIA report from the N, but it actually had a 51% table. I'm not incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to noticing / understanding these dimensions - I was just going off what I thought looked nice with the eye!

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 2.16.07 PM.png

Well there ya go! Just shows that OECs are such an eye game. You truly have to trust your gut and buy what your eyes love. I would have to see the K and the N together to decide my true preference, but I think they are both gorgeous!

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
Okay, everyone. I took receipt of the 1.92 K OEC yesterday, and have been looking at it in various lighting conditions, and I think it's gorgeous. However, there's a part of me that's like "this is the first you've seen, should you look at others while you can?" Honestly, I rarely see any color in the various lighting conditions I've experienced with, and it's well within my budget at a great size. It is also incredibly eye clean, and it seriously takes some staring from underneath to see any of the inclusions. It doesn't worry me at all, which is a nice feeling considering it's an SI1.

I don't know what else I'd want or should want from a diamond...

I wanted to share some photos and videos with all of you, so I can receive other expert opinions! All of the videos have the stone holder on my hand, and I have very large hands, so that may dwindle its size. The photo is on my sister's hand.

What do all of you think?

Videos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bsppQpxqUi_J4xhSq20IbcnXUEt9v4EL
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XmWYJqaGejM9yjpNTRwGE6GULLVdSdLd
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BfJaPel6ELXdNC3hRKumUf6eKUh4E5B7/view?usp=sharing

Photos:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JoxqcVWNhxU7HoUR5_-tUH4Cd1UgDhT0/view?usp=sharing

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I think it’s stunning!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks pretty good. I really like it. What does your girl think? old cuts are so often a real matter of how much your eyes love it. So.. do her eyes love it? Do yours? Does it go dark in wierd lights? do any of the facets never light up when you look at it and rotate or move it around?

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it looks good. It seems to light up evenly and have some nice contrast. If you love it there’s not a lot of sense continuing to look. It’s a great size and pretty color.

Agree with @foxinsox , just watch out for any “dead spots”. If none, then you could have a winner!

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
That looks pretty good. I really like it. What does your girl think? old cuts are so often a real matter of how much your eyes love it. So.. do her eyes love it? Do yours? Does it go dark in wierd lights? do any of the facets never light up when you look at it and rotate or move it around?

Well, with this being an engagement ring, she's not going to see the diamond before it's placed in the setting and presented. I sent the videos to her closest friend, and she loved it. They have incredibly similar opinions on things, so that does give me some confidence.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You keep saying what YOU think about the color. And we keep urging you to find out how your gf feels about the color. There is a good reason for our concern. We see a lot of unhappy women come here after their surprise proposal hoping to change their diamond/ring. And before you say your gf isn't like that and will be happy with anything... that's what they all say! But newsflash: Many women do have preferences and desires for their engagement ring.

Your gf clearly cares about her ring and is excited about the whole process. So consider letting her share in the excitement of choosing the diamond. This is a big decision and a lot of money and she will be the one wearing it. This is your chance to demonstrate to your gf that you are a responsive partner who truly values her preferences and desires. At the very least, tell her that you are are considering a very tinted old cut diamond and ask if she wants to see it before you set it. She may say no. But she may say yes! And then won't you be glad you asked?

(BTW you don't need to debate this with me or defend your choices. Just think about the fact that a good number of mature and experienced women in this thread have recommended you check with your gf about this purchase. All of being women who spend a lot of time on this forum and have seen a lot of engagements... Just think about it).

AntiqueSparkle

Shiny_Rock
It looks like a very nice stone! However I second the general consensus to get input from your GF. Old cuts aren’t for everyone, and some can be more color sensitive than others. I would have definitely wanted to find my own engagement ring diamond years ago... maybe would have saved me the hassle of upgrading/changing shapes later.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is very nice! Since you like it mention to your GF you have a 7d return window and does she want to look at the diamond before purchase is final. She may be good not seeing it and wanting a total surprise, but confirm that while you are still in the return period.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful!
Congratulations!

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to share the final product withe everyone. Thank you all for the insight / assistance! I couldn't be any more pleased with how this bespoke ring turned out.

IMG_5459-1.JPG
IMG_5455-1.JPG IMG_5457.JPG IMG_5456-1.JPG

Wow! That is beyond gorgeous!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! So lovely! :love:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks stunning, good job on getting a beautiful stone in a lovely setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results