shape
carat
color
clarity

Must have fire and brilliance Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Girls-best-friend

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to add a photo but didn't know how. I will describe the ring and hopefully you will know what I am looking for.

I need all of the correct dimensions for a 2 1/2 carat center stone marquise shape diamond with two pear shaped side stones at .50 each, with a triangle tip platinum setting for the center and side stones. I am looking for a diamond that has a lot of brilliance, sparkle, and fire. I hear the best stones show the colors of the rainbow (true?,false?). I want to blind myself.

Please tell me the correct: GIA &/or AGS certified

Cut rating
Table
Crown height
Crown angle
Girdle thickness (should it be polished and or faceted,will it add to the sparkle)
Total depth
Length:Width ratio
Polish
Symmetry
Pavillion
Culet
Measurements ( Ex: 8.83X5.29X3.70MM What is this?)
Fluorescence (the best have none? Correct?)
Did I leave out anything?

Should the stone have a visible Bowtie? If not will the measurments you give eliminate that? I know the stores have special lighting that make the stone shine bright while your there but what about regular lighting? I still want the shine.

I know I want a color of at least G or F. Clarity of no less than Vs1 - SI1. Should I be going for something higher?All I care about is that it is pretty and sparkly and you cant see any inclusions or dark spots or naturals with the naked eye from any angle. I would like to TRY and not break his bank though. Are there areas you can skimp on without the sacrifice of fire and brilliance.( that is not negotiable.)

What is the cost of such a ring?

Thanks
wavey.gif
3.gif
12.gif
2.gif

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Well a 2 1/2 ct center marquise flanked with a 1/2ct pear on either side, excellent cut, f-g, vs1-si1 is not going to be cheep. At least not in my pocketbook. Start with the AGA charts on marquise and pear shaped diamond cuts. That will give you some ideals on what creates a good cut. Or at least will help narrow down potential winners.

There unfortunetely is no set cut standard that will guarantee a high quality cut on these shapes. Also try to search the forum for marquise and pears. You should find some pics and info for additional guidance.

You say you want brilliance and fire, and that you want to blind yourself. Billiance and fire are, to some extent, inversly related. If the table is larger and the crown is more shallow the diamond should be more brilliant. If the table is smaller and the crown is deeper it should have more fire. Obviously this is rule of thumb and only to a point. i.e. stay between about a 55% table and a 60% table; 12% crown and 16% crown. See Gary's discussion of brilliant and fire cut diamond on the tutorial.

You need to decide if you like the white flashes of bright light, or the multi-colored dancing of fire.

As far as color and clarity goes, IMO, fg maybe h is good; vs1-si1 like you said. If you can find a really good and eye-clean si1 with crisp white G color, bonus.

Other thoughts; girdle should be faceted. Fluorescence is a matter of taste. I prefer faint at the most. LxW ratio, you need to look around and decide. Everyone has wildly different views about this. There is a site somewhere that shows different lw ratios. I will try to find it again.

Everything else is under the AGA charts.

Girls-best-friend

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. I will check out the tutorial and the forum. I am not sure which one I like more the white flash or the colors.
sick.gif
I was thinking it would cost somewhere around the $25,000 mark.
6.gif
Not cheap true but aren't they suppose to be expensive? It's a diamond not glass at least that is what I tell my guy LOL.
12.gif
11.gif
3.gif
I'll TRY my best to find something reasonably priced that still gives me what I want. Thank you for the help.
wavey.gif

Girls-best-friend

Shiny_Rock
I think I have decided on whiteflash instead of colors of the rainbow. Thanks
appl.gif

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
Dang, girl! That man of yours must make some dough!
1.gif
Good luck on your quest---the ring you've described sounds ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
For this type stone... check out independent gemologoists and appraisers.

Don't rely on "blind" opinion.

Rockdoc

Rook

Shiny_Rock
????

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Definition: A figure of speech combining incongrous or contradictory words, usually for descriptive purposes.

Pronunciation: OCKSIE-mor-on • (noun)

Examples: silent cry
living death
loving hatred

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Ha Ha,

I ment why do you say that BF & S and marquise is an oxymoron.

I assume that br & s refers to brilliance, fire, and scintillation?

Marquise may not have the bf&s that rounds do, but the same qualities and factors relating to them should be the same. To a degree.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results