shape
carat
color
clarity

Must have books for parenting 12-24 months?

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I really did not know anything about babies before having one. I could not have made it through our first year without Baby 411 and Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child. Now that I have survived the first year of parenting... I realize I don't know anything about what to do with a toddler.

Does anyone recommend some MUST reads for a parent of 12-24 month toddler? It seems like all the books start with great advice for the terrible 2's and older, but we are not there yet. I did get Toddler 411 since I liked the first book, but it was not so great. I don't want medical advice that is mostly in the Toddler 411 book... I pretty much figured out how to keep the baby alive.

i want to know how much or how often you offer cow's milk once you wean, what do you feed them once baby food purees are out, when do you start teaching them to eat with with utensils, how do you know they are ready to drop morning nap, how to you set up healthy communication when they still don't know how to communicate except for points and grunts and crying, etc. etc. etc.

Basically-- I need the instruction manual for months 12-24.

Thanks!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Green with Envy|1365997914|3427020 said:
I really did not know anything about babies before having one. I could not have made it through our first year without Baby 411 and Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child. Now that I have survived the first year of parenting... I realize I don't know anything about what to do with a toddler.

Does anyone recommend some MUST reads for a parent of 12-24 month toddler? It seems like all the books start with great advice for the terrible 2's and older, but we are not there yet. I did get Toddler 411 since I liked the first book, but it was not so great. I don't want medical advice that is mostly in the Toddler 411 book... I pretty much figured out how to keep the baby alive.

i want to know how much or how often you offer cow's milk once you wean, what do you feed them once baby food purees are out, when do you start teaching them to eat with with utensils, how do you know they are ready to drop morning nap, how to you set up healthy communication when they still don't know how to communicate except for points and grunts and crying, etc. etc. etc.

Basically-- I need the instruction manual for months 12-24.

Thanks!
+1

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
bump

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
"What to Expect: The Toddler Years" was pretty good.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have the What to Expect book as a reference as well. It's not something I really read from cover to cover, but will just look up topics on a very occasional basis.

I did like this book for food, but we really started using it around the 6 month mark. http://www.superbabyfood.com/ I think it covers topics like when to start using silverware, etc.

I think I've relied on the following, more than books in toddler years: (1) my pedi for things like how much milk should she be drinking, (2) those informational emails from Baby Center (but more in a "ohhh, that IS normal, sort of way." For example, I often read about kids who ask to have the same book read to them over and over and over. S JUST started doing that this week! Guess what the Baby Center email topic is this week for her age -- "Read it Again.", (3) daycare has been extremely valuable information-wise (though she started using real silverware at home way before she started using plastic spoons and forks at daycare!), (4) on-line moms and (5) (and to the least extent actually and somewhat sadly) moms in real life.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Babycenter for most stuff! They also give book recommendations and tips for what to do with tantrums.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results