shape
carat
color
clarity

Musical nostalgia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
I''m feeling nostalgic because I heard Do They Know It''s Christmas on the radio. It was the new version by Band Aid 20 and I have to agree with the djs that it''s not as good as the original. Does that mean I''m showing my age? Do you remember what you were doing in Christmas week 1984?

in 1984 I was one year old... so not really!!!

Band Aid...
20.gif
please don''t get me started... most of the money when to the Marxist govt in Ethiopia that was using food for their own political ends, to starve the north and to reward their political allies. it also gave the impression to people in the west that the problems of Africa were solved because they bought a record. and how much money did the singers have? why didn''t they give their own - to paraphrase Bob Geldof - "f***ing money"? Band Aid (like so much international aid) takes money from poor people in the rich world and gives it to rich people in the poor world.

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
Diamondgeezer

You''re just a baby! I feel like an old crock.

I agree with you that charities are not that charitable. Too much money is used for ''admin'' purposes. My idea of charity is actually getting out there and helping people in practical ways - I really admire the people who run soup kitchens. Non-judgemental contact with people less fortunate than ourselves. The people in the soup kitchens may be the only ones who ever say ''hello Fred, how''re you going.''

Now, let''s talk music. Seen any good bands lately?

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I was home for the holidays after completing the first semester of my junior year of college at UNC-Chapel Hill.

recently?

Madness - they were great, Suggs was hilarious
the Stranglers (without hugh cornwell - and they were awful)
the Cure - amazing!!!
the Pixies - great (who were not headlining, and loads of people walked out when they finished - as did we)
Moz (twice) who was fantastic!!! (and he did loads of Smiths songs too
9.gif
)
the White Stripes - phenomenal

saw Goldfrapp who were suprisingly good, and others that I forget...

saw load of new, British bands too - the Beta Band, the Ordinary Boys (twice), Razorlight, Libertines, Franz Ferdinand, Keane, the Stands

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I was 4 yrs old then; I was probably just running around that year like any other 4 yrs old (don''t remember much).

I don''t like the song by band aid 20 either, so I don''t think it''s an age thing.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, *I''m* old enough to have fond memories of the original. It was also far superior to all the other songs (such as "We Are the World") that came out afterward. I haven''t heard the new version, though.

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
Diamondgeezer
Have you seen Morrissey twice???? I''m sooooo jealous. I''ve seen him once - 2 years ago. I never thought that I''d see him so it made my life complete - sigh. I''m waiting for him to tour Australia again. At least at my age I can say that I''ve been been a Smiths/Morrissey fan since the beginning. In December 1984, I was feeling really free and grown-up because I''d just finished school and was going on to university. Little did I know! But I remember very fondly listening to The Smiths. Morrissey - please come back to Australia.

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Xmas 84 I was 3 so I have no idea what I was doing. But I agree that the original is better but then isn''t that the case 99% of the time with music? I also agree that charities spend too much on ''admin'' and not enough on the people who they say the money goes to. Although something is better than nothing.

Date: 12/22/2004 3:13:18 PM
Author: Camellia
Diamondgeezer
Have you seen Morrissey twice???? I''m sooooo jealous. I''ve seen him once - 2 years ago. I never thought that I''d see him so it made my life complete - sigh.
I know what you mean, I never thought I''d get to see him, especially 7 years after Maladjusted! then he comes along with You are the Quarry and he is BACK!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
we were also able to download the live set that he did, and it included all the banter with the crowd, which is great! it was amazing cos we saw him in Manchester too
9.gif
now you have got me singing... lol "don''t make fun of Daddy''s voice, because he can''t help it! when he was, a teenage boy... something got stuck in his throat"

if you heard him in 2002 he must have played some of the new stuff!!! lucky you!!! he played Irish Blood (omg how great is that live???) at Malmo in 2001 I think!

yours,
crashing bore

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results