shape
carat
color
clarity

Music you are currently loving?

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Inspired by the Beauty Products thread I'm curious about what types of music my fellow posters enjoy.

I'm currently listening to Celtic Thunder {what's not to love? Beautiful men making beautiful music}, Rod Stewart, Celine Dion and Peter Allen {a blast from the past}.

How about you?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gangsta.jpg
This has been my motto lately. I've been under a lot of stress. :errrr:

For the last month or so I have also been loving Queens of the Stone Age, Prince, Gap Band, Nikka Costa (because I can sing with her,) Florence and the Machine, the Led Zeppelin songs that are never played on the radio, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Fleetwood Mac, Bon Iver, Satchel, and Justin Timberlake because he makes me smile--no one understands this, but I don't care. Now that I am in my 40's, and not hitched to a musician, I feel that I don't have to be so serious about my music choices.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jazz guitarist Chris Cain.
His says his style is fresh because he used to play the sax.
He brought horn phrasing to the guitar instead of being locked in the usual pentatonic scales we are so accustom to hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acQsoKp5DCQ

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best music is from the 70's. Music stop after the early 80's.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We've got XM on our new Durango (well, we had it on the stupid Jeep too but whatever) and I figured out how to favorite bands/songs and browse to see if anything from the list is on there. I was looking thru my list the other day and it made me laugh, the strangeness of it. Michael Jackson, Culture Club, Elton John, Megan Trainor, Adele, Come on Eileen (how can you not love that song, seriously), Beastie Boys, Tom Petty, Will Smith aaaaaand then Poison, Warrant, Volbeat, Five Finger Death Punch, Shinedown, Disturbed, Metallica, Anthrax. There be neither rhyme nor reason to my likes. There be much rocking out however.

Oh, and Taco cuz duh--Puttin on the Ritz.

Now I need to cross my fingers that I'll be listening to 80's on 8 and Falco/Rock Me Amadeus comes on so I can favorite that sucker.

And drive my husband even more nuts.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JPOP with the occasional KPOP music. :oops:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Packrat you've got some great choices there; love me some Metallica, Anthrax and Disturbed although for me it's more mainstream rock and best played when I have a hangover or need something not so...heavy :lol:

Lately I've been enjoying live performances of System of a Down, I find that Serj Tankian's voice improved from about 2007 onwards and is a joy to listen to.

As far as newer stuff that's being released that I am a fan of, I am absolutely LOVING Heavy Metal juggernat Lamb of God's latest album called 'VII: Sturm Und Drang'. If anyone followed the news story from a couple years ago, the vocalist from Lamb of God was jailed and faced manslaughter charges in the Czech Republic after a fan died at their show. He was exonerated and his name was cleared, however he did spend nearly 2 months in prison before he was released on bail.
This album was one I had been wanting to hear well before it was even written due to the whole court trial, the song '512' was written while he was in prison and you can feel the fear and anger in his lyrics. That song alone was worth the wait for me.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I have to add that when I go to the gym I still use a cd player and I use the treadmill and listen to NWA's Straight Outta Compton, something that my 30 year old son finds both unbelievable and hilarious. But I find the music invigorating. Been doing that for over 20 years and had to replace it at least 3 times.{visits are sporadic these days, however}

eta: right this moment I am listening to Celtic Thunder's new Christmas CD--it just came in the mail and I want to make sure it's ok before I put it away with my other Christmas music {that's my story and I'm sticking to it...}.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh Christmas music is coming! Just so's ya'll know, the first time Feliz Navidad comes on that sucker is getting favorited and my husband can suck it.

Jordy, ha, that's funny! I youtub'ed that song and I could do that. I might beat the crap out of my steering wheel and get so pumped up I run over someone in the cross walk but...there's a tattoo forum that I visit now and again and they have a heavy metal thread. I see Lamb of God mentioned a *lot* but had never listened to anything until you posted.

Some of the bands, I like the older stuff better. One of our friends said he wished they'd go back to drinking and drugs b/c the music was better. That's *horrible* and I'd never wish that on anyone but dangit..it's kinda true.

XM doesn't play much Megadeth or Slayer or Ministry. I've heard a couple few songs, but it was before I figured out how to favorite anything.

I like NIN but that's not played much either.

Oh ha, I have Johnny Cash favorited too.

I wish I could figure out if Tim Minchin is ever on. I don't have a cd player in my new Toothless so it does me no good to buy his cd's and I don't have an iphone to get songs on iTunes or whatever it's called.

hay joe

Shiny_Rock
Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower and Pink Floyd.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
packrat|1444260490|3936005 said:
Ohhh Christmas music is coming! Just so's ya'll know, the first time Feliz Navidad comes on that sucker is getting favorited and my husband can suck it.

Jordy, ha, that's funny! I youtub'ed that song and I could do that. I might beat the crap out of my steering wheel and get so pumped up I run over someone in the cross walk but...there's a tattoo forum that I visit now and again and they have a heavy metal thread. I see Lamb of God mentioned a *lot* but had never listened to anything until you posted.

Some of the bands, I like the older stuff better. One of our friends said he wished they'd go back to drinking and drugs b/c the music was better. That's *horrible* and I'd never wish that on anyone but dangit..it's kinda true.

XM doesn't play much Megadeth or Slayer or Ministry. I've heard a couple few songs, but it was before I figured out how to favorite anything.

I like NIN but that's not played much either.

Oh ha, I have Johnny Cash favorited too.

I wish I could figure out if Tim Minchin is ever on. I don't have a cd player in my new Toothless so it does me no good to buy his cd's and I don't have an iphone to get songs on iTunes or whatever it's called.

Lamb of God are in the same position where Metallica were before they wrote their black album, they just never crossed the mainstream radio bridge like Metallica did with their Black album. They're the 'most mainstream underground metal band' around at the moment if that makes any sense lol. They're probably my favourite band for writing consistently heavy yet groove-filled albums, their lead guitarist is an amazing player who 'plays blues licks over speed metal riffs'. They're phenomenal musicians and the only band I have ever come across where 90% of the catalogue is too hard for me to play lol.

Funny you mentioned Johnny Cash, I'm currently writing a thrash metal cover of his song 'Ain't no grave can hold my body down' :D

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1444246503|3935947 said:

Haha, I've got some of that in my current playlist, along with Tay-Tay's 1989 album.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmm now I really should check them out. Old metallica is soooo much better. I remember being completely devastated when the One video started playing on MTV and suddenly all the pretty and popular people were like "OMG there's this new band I just discovered...One? Have you heard it?" No, that's the SONG, not the band, idiot. And I'm *wearing* a Metallica shirt, from three albums ago, um, der? Do you even know what you're watching and what they're saying? And then the black album came out (I think I was a sophomore in HS) and good heavens I wanted to stick a hot poker in my ears--"Oh you know One? They sing Enter Sandman! The cover is so cool-it's black. And there's NO name" And they'd try to headbang and think they were hard core. They also "discovered" Nirvana. "Hey do you like Teen Spirit? Have you seen the video? There's girls w/HAIR in their armpits! It's SO awesome!"

Sigh. I was a bitter Iowa teenager.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa and some Turnpike Troubadours.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Alternate Routes

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
packrat,

Listened to Machine Head's new album on the way to work this morning, it's called Bloodstone & Diamonds. If you don't listen to them already then I reckon you may like the album, it's got lots of great melodies throughout and their signature sound that they've had for 2 decades but more refined. The opening track is called 'Now We Die' and it's got great harmonies in it with some excellent violin work as well :boohoo:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1444421544|3936752 said:
I'm loving, and learning to play, Midnight by Joe Satriani on my new electric guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKxFKqm3WoE

I love Joe Satriani, he's a consummate professional and just a general good guy. I remember the story from when his gig sold out and he played the rooftop for the fans who couldn't get in.

I always loved his take on Beethoven's 5th symphony, it was played so perfectly.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1444246503|3935947 said:

OMG I was going to say the SAME thing! Been listening to f(x) non stop the past few days!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Currently I have been listening to Kpop band F(x) and Japanese Music Group Kalafina. Also been rotating florence and the machine and Abbey Park with some Loreena Mckennitt on the side.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1444254305|3935974 said:
Packrat you've got some great choices there; love me some Metallica, Anthrax and Disturbed although for me it's more mainstream rock and best played when I have a hangover or need something not so...heavy :lol:

Lately I've been enjoying live performances of System of a Down, I find that Serj Tankian's voice improved from about 2007 onwards and is a joy to listen to.

As far as newer stuff that's being released that I am a fan of, I am absolutely LOVING Heavy Metal juggernat Lamb of God's latest album called 'VII: Sturm Und Drang'. If anyone followed the news story from a couple years ago, the vocalist from Lamb of God was jailed and faced manslaughter charges in the Czech Republic after a fan died at their show. He was exonerated and his name was cleared, however he did spend nearly 2 months in prison before he was released on bail.
This album was one I had been wanting to hear well before it was even written due to the whole court trial, the song '512' was written while he was in prison and you can feel the fear and anger in his lyrics. That song alone was worth the wait for me.

I have ALWAYS liked Serj's voice because of his middle eastern-like vibrato and trills and what that element brings to the heavy sound of the band. I saw them many, many years ago (1998?) when they were small and they played with someone like Sevendust. "Sugar" was their popular song. The guitar player was painted silver. I just remember how they blew everyone's mind because there was NOTHING like that anywhere. The music scene at the time was SATURATED in new metal bands like Korn, Deftones, Hed P.E., Mudvayne, and any other band that wanted to sound just like them. System of a Down came in and gave us something different. It was refreshing. Love them!

My ten year old is going through a System of a Down/Serj and Rage Against the Machine phase. He is trying to understand their political anger. We raise them right in this house. When he was 4 years old, his preschool teacher came to us and whispered, "He is SO cool! He sings "Master of Puppets" while he is running around and climbing the play structure" and then she gave us the maloik \m/. :lol: :lol: :lol:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1444256166|3935979 said:
I have to add that when I go to the gym I still use a cd player and I use the treadmill and listen to NWA's Straight Outta Compton, something that my 30 year old son finds both unbelievable and hilarious. But I find the music invigorating. Been doing that for over 20 years and had to replace it at least 3 times.{visits are sporadic these days, however}

eta: right this moment I am listening to Celtic Thunder's new Christmas CD--it just came in the mail and I want to make sure it's ok before I put it away with my other Christmas music {that's my story and I'm sticking to it...}.
One of the best albums of all time!!! I grew up on that!

My kids make fun of me too. You see, I am the biggest organic gardening, tree hugging hippy girl--who just happens to love rap music (and every other music too!!!) But my kids get a kick out of the fact that I listen to Dr. Dre, etc. Somehow it doesn't phase them when I listen to Marilyn Manson or John Coltrane!!
My daughter recently sent me a meme and said "this is totally you!!!" I can't post the meme because there is cussing in it, but I will share the words. It says, "I'm that b!tch that listens to gangsta rap on the way to the farmer's market after yoga."

yep.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
House Cat|1444494855|3936964 said:
jordyonbass|1444254305|3935974 said:

I have ALWAYS liked Serj's voice because of his middle eastern-like vibrato and trills and what that element brings to the heavy sound of the band. I saw them many, many years ago (1998?) when they were small and they played with someone like Sevendust. "Sugar" was their popular song. The guitar player was painted silver. I just remember how they blew everyone's mind because there was NOTHING like that anywhere. The music scene at the time was SATURATED in new metal bands like Korn, Deftones, Hed P.E., Mudvayne, and any other band that wanted to sound just like them. System of a Down came in and gave us something different. It was refreshing. Love them!

My ten year old is going through a System of a Down/Serj and Rage Against the Machine phase. He is trying to understand their political anger. We raise them right in this house. When he was 4 years old, his preschool teacher came to us and whispered, "He is SO cool! He sings "Master of Puppets" while he is running around and climbing the play structure" and then she gave us the maloik \m/. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha that's awesome! When we eventually have kids I am going to be doing the exact same thing, healthy diet of hard rock and heavy metal!

I find that Serj's middle eastern heritage seems to have come out more in his music in the last half of his music career than it did early, but then again it is the stuff that he wrote early in his career that I like - basically everything up to and including Steal this Album. Back when I was 20-22 years old I had curly hair and the same long goatie that I have now. I wish I got a buck for every time I would hear people say 'Hey you look like the singer from System of a Down!' :lol:

Funny you mention Mudvayne actually, they are an all time favourite for me. As a young bassist when I first saw Ryan play I was in shock, he presented a style of bass playing to me that I had not seen in a metal band before. He had a similar tone to Fieldy from Korn but his approach to writing bass lines was much more refined, musical and technical. I still have the bass guitar I bought during that time period, there's varnish that's been completely rubbed off in various spots from furious heavy metal sessions and the fretboard, frets and electronics need an overhaul. I've really punished that bass guitar over the years but it's held up and still sounds great, I mostly use it now for cover gigs at bars now :clap:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ryan Adams. Great songwriter, just happens to be a pretty awesome performer as well. He just covered every song on Taylor Swift's 1989 album and while I don't care much for her, his covers are on point and that was a way clever marketing strategy on his part.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was in the city for more tattoo work today and they were listening to Richard Cheesy. I'd never heard of him but was thinking, hmmm, this sounds sorta familiar..then this one song comes on and I busted out laughing. JD and I were just talking on the way down there about a version of Disturbed/Down w/the Sickness we'd heard on a zombie movie that I got the biggest kick out of-and that was the guy! We asked my artist and he said he does lounge covers of pretty much everything. We heard Disturbed, Snoop Dogg, Madonna, Motley Crue, Johnny Cash, you name it. It was really cool and kinda fun. Tho it made it hard for me to sing along.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cheese. Richard Cheese. haha oops.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1444234404|3935842 said:
The jazz guitarist Chris Cain.
His says his style is fresh because he used to play the sax.
He brought horn phrasing to the guitar instead of being locked in the usual pentatonic scales we are so accustom to hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acQsoKp5DCQ

nice nice nice......thanks for mentioning him.

I've got Stevie Ray Vaughan on my car player right now, and Cajun in the kitchen.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1444619069|3937377 said:
Cheese. Richard Cheese. haha oops.

really! Its been ages since I listened to him

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just have to share this song right now, it's by a band called Machine Head and it's called Sail into the Black.

Yes they are a heavy metal band but this is a song where everyone falls in love with the first 4.10 of the song whether they like Heavy Metal or not. It's got a mix of vocal harmonies, acoustic guitar, piano, violins and cellos. After 4.10 it does get a bit heavy but it's not overbearing, especially if you like rock music. As much as these guys write great metal, they understand true melody and songwriting and aren't afraid to add orchestral instruments to their albums. Which is something I love as I started playing trombone and saxophone in orchestras when I was young and progressed to bass guitar when I discovered heavy metal.

https://youtu.be/ZXTHLqoQD_0

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results