shape
carat
color
clarity

Multiple (and very different) ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

onwisc

Rough_Rock
OK... could use some help here. My gf and I dated for 4 years and then "took a break" for 6 months or so. We have now been dating again for 10 months and I am more than ready to pop the question (and she is more than ready for it to FINALLY happen). I have picked out the diamond (2.54 G VS2 Princess) and the setting. As you can see from my question below... I had a difficult time picking out the ring, as I have problems deciding on lunch!!!. Since we have dated for so long, we have been on some very romantic trips (her bday gift every year) and any time we head somewhere she is probably looking for something to happen... Now I am having problems deciding on how and when to ask her to share the rest of her life with me.

I somewhat have narrowed it down to the following (although I am open to any additional ideas) and outline the things I like and my concerns...

1. We are heading to Sonoma for a wedding this coming weekend. We are actually going to stay 2 extra days and I was thinking that I could find a location/romantic spot at a vineyard (with assistance from our concierge to get something set up). The reason I haven''t planned this yet is that I have never been to the Wine Country before and don''t know the area very well. Also, she may be expecting something (but could be disappointed if it didn''t happen)

2. She is running a marathon within the next few weeks. This is a big accomplishment and some of her friends will be around (in addition to family on both sides). I know she would be sweaty and drained from the race, but I thought of setting up something for after the race for me to propose when she crosses the finish line. We could then have an engagement party for an early dinner.

3. I am moving to NYC, but I have tickets for us to go the the musical Wicked in Chicago. After the show, we could head back to my current home for dessert... where I could have red and white candles, red roses/white calalilies and white table clothes on my deck (with CD playing). This would be the surprise of the options.

4. We are going to the our universities homecoming football game. She will be performing during a part (long story) and I have friends that could help me pull off a more "public" proposal in front of 80,000+.

So, as you can see... I am all over the board. I know at this point that she would be happy no matter what I do, but I would like to have it be perfect (I once flew her to Paris for Valentine''s Day as a surprise) and I''m not sold on anything yet. However, I think she would prefer it happened sooner than later and not sure I should wait until we both have time to take a bigger trip (we just took a 10 day vacation a few months ago). My gut is that I should be able to do Napa, but I don''t know the area and I think she may expect it!

HELP!!!!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
First of all, congrats and good luck on your upcoming proposal and engagement!
9.gif

I think you have some good ideas, and I''m sure any of those proposals would make her ecstatic! Really, it all comes down to what you think your girlfriend would like. I''m sure some people would be happy with an 80,000+ audience, others would definitely not. While I think the marathon proposal is cool, as a runner, I know that after a race, I''m all excited about the event and spend the day or two after dissecting it with my stoic and patient husband and re-running it in my mind. Running a marathon is such a big accomplishment, she may want a few days to bask in the glory. Proposing then might be mixing two big events, like a birthday on Christmas. But like i said, you can''t go wrong and it really just depends on what your GF''s personality is like.

Good luck!

onwisc

Rough_Rock
thanks for the support and the comments.

does anyone know of a vineyard in napa or sonoma that may have great views of sunsets that may be a great place to do it?

thanks, again (picking up the ring in a few hours!!)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for "sooner" rather than "later" ... to suprise her at this point, the location might not be so romantic. Can you slip it on her finger when she's sleeping & ask her when she gets up. Can the security guard "find" it at the airport? I don't know ... but best wishes! The ring sounds like it might knock her off her feet!

ETA ... or what about running right over to her work the second you pick up the ring & proposing right there ... saying that you couldn't wait another second to do it .. not even to the weekend.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Although I''m not really sure how she would feel about being proposed to right after running a marathon, I think this will definitely surprise her the most. Since you take her on so many romantic vacations, she may expect you to follow that tradition.

I do like DecoDelighted''s ideas! They are sweet & she will certainly be surprised by a completely random moment!

Good luck! The ring sounds beautiful so far - please post pictures when everything is said & done!
36.gif

onwisc

Rough_Rock
thanks for the suggestions! i will promise pics of all of it! wish i knew the wine country better b/c i agree that sooner is better than later. not sure if it would be possible to have a breakfast picnic at a vineyard where we would have some privacy. may even do it tonight somehow (she is picking me up at the airport). however, it''s not like me to have something planned (i just can''t wait)!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
So excited for you both! I think for someone that''s a planner, like yourself - being spontaneous shows how much you want to share this with her, and how much you love her.
(Afterwards, I hope you share all your other ideas, which I''m sure she''ll appreciate!)

p.s. - those upcoming events you thought of as possible proposal times ... also strike me as AWESOME times to already BE engaged! Food for thought.

SAFE TRIP! CONGRATS!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, this is all so exciting! I love being part of a conspiracy!!! Of all of your ideas, I like the wine country one the best. It''s so beautiful and romantic up there--you''ll definitely want to propose. If you''re really daring, they do these amazing balloon rides with a champagne breakfast after. You could maybe take her up in the balloon and propose up there and then there will be champagne waiting for your celebration when you touch down. Also, there are so many wineries up there it may be hard to choose one. The one that I love the most is called Matanzas Creek. Their wine is delicious but the thing that really won me over were the beautiful lavender fields that they have growing there. Very romantic and lovely. There''s also a very cute town center--I think it''s the town of Sonoma--where you can get a bottle of wine and some Vella Jack cheese and have a picnic and propose there. I''m just thinking off the top of my head! Whatever you decide, I''m sure it will be perfect. Keep us posted!

onwisc

Rough_Rock
more great ideas! i thought of the balloon ride. would it be weird with the "operator" standing there? i have never been on one, but think it could be a great idea.

interesting about matanzas vineyard. that is actually one of our favorite "affordable" merlots!

does anyone have any suggestions on "sunset" vineyards? i have heard of one with a castle or chateau with a balcony that looks over the vineyard (maybe there are multiple)...

i just picked up the ring and there is no way i can wait!!!!!!

bopitaddict

Shiny_Rock
i had a buddy kneeling at the finish line as his gf was finishing her marathon and that''s how he proposed... it went over really well.

i also had a friend who proposed on a hot air balloon, but then you have to worry a bit about losing or dropping the ring.
39.gif

you know your gf the best and i''m sure whatever you decide will be great! keep us posted.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I kinda like the marathon idea - the symbolism that you'll always be there for her after every accomplishment or challenge/obstacle. It's very sweet. I think it would be very moving.

What are your thoughts Onwisc?

Scintillating...

Evie75

Shiny_Rock
Hello!! My brother happend to get married in sonoma valley in a beautiful mansion in Healdsburg.. (gorgeous town) Its called the Madrona manor. http://www.madronamanor.com/. I dont know her taste. but maybe you could have dinner there then take a a walk in their beautiful gardens (my brothers ceremony was back there) and pop the question there.. there is a really pretty water fountain .. so many great spots to ask.

Good Luck and have a fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results