shape
carat
color
clarity

Moving to Chicago - What's the Warmest Winter Coat?

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My fiancé and I are moving to Chicago in late January for his new job! We currently live in Hawaii and have become used to the glorious tropical weather, so I know we are in for a world of pain when we move to Chicago during probably the coldest parts of winter. We're likely going to be living pretty close to the loop, so I need a super warm coat to wear walking to/from the el and around town (and of course for going to Ivy and Rose :whistle:...). Any suggestions? Is Canada Goose worth the hype/price? Would love something that's still cute! What do you ladies in the colder climates wear? I figured I'd buy online since the options out here are quite limited :lol-2:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one from Eddie Bauer and it kept me warm in Iceland in the winter. They have some belted ones that look a little more stylish imho. I think there is a thread on Canada goose somewhere. Good luck with the move!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think layering is key. Wear layers close to your body to keep in the warmth. Congrats and good luck with your move and the new career opportunity for your FI.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have one from Eddie Bauer and it kept me warm in Iceland in the winter. They have some belted ones that look a little more stylish imho. I think there is a thread on Canada goose somewhere. Good luck with the move!

I think I found the thread on Canada goose - thanks for the heads up! And will check out Eddie Bauer!!

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
You are going to be downtown with some major wind and lake effect snow.
You will need a long down coat (i.e.. the sleeping bag coat).
I would read up on real down (goose or duck) vs. synthetic,
and decide how you feel about having to take your coat to the dry cleaners vs. washing at home.
Keep in mind that once down gets wet---it loses its insulating powers and take FOREVER to dry.
So if you choose down, make sure the shell is waterproof as the wind in Chicago will be blowing rain and snow onto your coat.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to seem colder the first year you are there. Aim for what other Chicagoans wear normally, instead of how cold you'll feel when you arrive. When we moved from the West coast of Canada to Southwestern Ontario, I bought all the super warm gear and ended up not using after the first year to be honest. Don't know if this is true for Chicago, but I have different coats for different temps and different purposes based on how long I'll be outside vs inside, etc. Good luck!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I moved from Los Angeles to Chicago 7 years ago. The first year will be an adjustment but with the proper layers you will be just fine. I wear North Face baselayer tights and undershirts, but Uniqlo makes some really affordable base layers (my husband wears them) called Heattech https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/search/?q=heattech&lang=default

Smartwool socks will change your life! Stock up on those.

As for coats, I have a million. I have several light weight down jackets from Uniqlo for those days in the 30's and 40's. You definitely need a coat that covers your butt, but I feel Canada Goose is overpriced and very heavy. I would look at North Face and Eddie Bauer. Uncle Dan's is a local shop that carries outdoor gear and clothing. I love their stores! There will also be some great sales after Christmas from just about every brand.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have down coats from LL Bean that are very warm. They are machine washable. You just have to tumble them with tennis balls to dry them-- the balls prevent the down from clumping.

Also I agree about dressing in layers. Layers trap air, which insulates.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't go wrong with Patagucci: https://www.patagonia.com/product/womens-fiona-parka/28359.html
Patagonia just donated its tax cut to "groups committed to protecting air, land and water and finding solutions to the climate crisis.” Aside from being an ethically sound company, it offers actual quality products and stands behind them. They'll repair and replace like no other.

Yes to wool base layers, yes to wool socks, yes to layers in general, yes to a waterproof shell, and packable down sweater or jacket. Do your research. I've written a ton on threads here over the years so if you do a search I'm sure you'll come up with a bunch of threads with people asking similar questions.
--former Outdoor Apparel Buyer and Chicagoan for 8 years.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The biggest thing is to block the wind.
A quality removable Liner full length leather coat is really hard to beat.
Just keep it waxed.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the day. We get used to the weather and it has to be really cold...under 20 degrees..for me to wear a heavy coat. I have a 3/4 length wool coat that I rarely use because it’s not cold enough. Mostly I wear my leather coat. Lately I’ve been wearing just sweatshirts.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From one Chicagoan to a(soon to be)nother...

images

May the warmth be with you! :cheeky:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I moved out of the city 10+ years ago, and I was struck about how almost everyone wears black when I came back to visit!

My long Lands End coat with a faux fur-lined hood keeps me toasty. The coral color really stands out. :lol: I actually do own one in black, too! You will LOVE Jewelers Mall! Lots of great jewelers.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Okay so this may seem like a super basic question.... but how do you layer if you're going to work? Do people wear layers for their commute when it's really cold, and then change at work? Or do you keep the under layers on throughout the day?

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Love Lands End Squall coate. Layer top, cardigan, coat. Lands End has awesome silk “long underwear”. Perfect for wearing under slacks amd jeans. Perfect for wearing indoors all day then out out door back onto the streey. You will love them..but better shop quick.they could be sold out by now.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! I’m in the Chicagoland area and windchill is a major factor here along with the frigid temps. North Face hands down!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I’m in Calgary ... I recommend a down filled coat that is as long as possible. Trust me - you’ll be so happy for a long warm coat. Mine is to my ankles and people stop me to ask where I got it.
Also, please don’t forget to take the cold seriously ... if you dress properly you should be fine - but on a humid and cold day, not much will keep you warm. Don’t get caught without gloves either.

Good luck on your move!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in Wyoming and my warmest coats have been squall parkas from Lands End. They are windproff shells. They have assorted styles.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Luck to you on your move. I don't live in chicago...thankfully. I used to live in Massachusetts and my goodness, when I moved to Florida, I was so ridiculously happy when I sold the snow blower:lol-2: As everyone said, dress in layers. It will be quite the shock to you, especially that you're moving there in the winter.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I’m from CA. And when I moved to the east coast it was a rude awakening. A couple things I learned.
  1. Everyone is recommending layering. Definitely keep this in mind. Also invest in merino and nice quality cashmere (January is the best time to buy) sweaters, cardigans and scarves. And merino SOCKS. Can’t recommend those enough. Soft wool socks are a must have. And I hate—detest—wearing socks.
  2. Coats. I kept three main coats. I discovered quickly that shorter length jackets were not for me as I hated getting a draft up my back. And I preferred my coats below my hip and with a hood. Not just for inclement weather but for warmth. I tried carrying hats around but I kept losing them.
    1. I had a full length cashmere blend tailored coat with a hood that I wore for nicer work functions and dressy occasions. I’ve since lost it—I don’t know where but that was the best coat I’ve ever had. I recommend charcoal color as it hides dirt and pet hair, and goes with just about everything. The picture below is the closest I could find to it.
    2. I had a coat very much like this one (some previous incarnation of it) https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70409?page=winter-warmer-coat&bc=12-27-610&feat=610-GN1&csp=f which was for every-day commute, errands, and casual wear. It was durable and warm and not too bulky and washable. It had serious cold weather features like storm cuffs in the sleeves and was specifically made for the temperatures of the region. (EDIT: Mine might have been the Squall Coat from Lands End. I have one of those now too, but I never need it here. Way too heavy so it sits in the closet).
    3. Fall and Spring warm raincoat. Mine was a Burberry gabardine trench coat that came to mid-calf. It was an ‘every occasion’ coat that I could layer as much as I needed. It was not hooded, and I didn't like that about it.
In my experience: where it makes sense I stick natural fibers and really well constructed coats and invest in the best quality I can afford.

About cashmere: it is soft and cuddly very warm but doesn’t breathe very well. It reflects your body head back at you and so you end up sweating in it sometimes. Considering your dry cleaning bill, this isn’t the best choice, IMO for every day or for right next to your skin. I prefer it in outer layers and cardigans. Learn to spot and feel good quality cashmere because there is a lot of bad quality cashmere out there.

About wool: my favorite winter fabric is merino wool. You can get different thicknesses and it’s soft, breathable, and incredibly warm. I don't like heavy (regular) wool or lambwool, or boiled wool personally.

Alpaca is too warm for me in a sweater, and good quality alpaca in a coat is really expensive. But I have a friend that loves it and swore by it when she lived in Connecticut.

Shearling coats, these are nice and probably the warmest of all coats. For me, too warm personally. I’m not a fan. But I have another friend who lives in Pittsburg and this is her go-to.

Silk and high quality cotton, when it is coldest and you need a thin layer near your skin, these are my favorites.

The other really important thing is boots specifically waterproof boots made for traction and snow. I found good footwear the hardest to find, frankly.

shopping.jpeg

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great tips from @LaylaR!!!
Keeping hands, feet and head warm is key.
I love Moncler long down coats. Very warm and light. They have beautiful designs and some are rain proof.
I wash all our down. The trick is to put them into the dryer right afterwards with two dryer balls (or tennis balls).
I wash cashmere too (COLD wool program, wool detergent ). My friend who's got her own cashmere line recommends this. She said that good quality cashmere gets better and fluffier with every wash. Dry cleaning breaks the fibers. So far she's been right .... (I hate the thought of all the chemicals from dry cleaning on our skin)

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Kipari, I wash my own wool and cashmere at home too, but it's a skill that I learned over time. My grandmother taught me to sew, so I've always been very particular about the workmanship of long-term clothing investments. I know what quality seams and construction look like and the difference between the types of fabrics and weaves. I can't help but notice the feel, drape and wear of fabrics. So, I know what a difference all that makes in the longevity of the garments I buy. Learning to knit was one of the best teaching tools about wool for me. Once you start to understand the fibers and how to care for them, and how to feel and spot good quality yarns and the construction of sweaters-- you can't go back. I was in Nordstrom today and saw this gorgeous cashmere cardigan while my mom shopped and it was just such beautiful two ply weave with just the softest yarn ever, nice long fibers and... I just stood there petting it while the sales people eyed me askance. I have no use for cashmere in my life right now, but I felt sad I had to let it go.

OTBR: I forgot to explain why everyone is recommending wool over any other fiber for socks, etc. Wool is easily available and it insulates even when wet. Most synthetic fabrics do not. So if your 'waterproof' boots leak, or your gloves get wet, some rain or snow gets down your collar... or if you just fall in to ditch of standing water (I've done this) wool will keep you reasonably warm while most synthetics do not.

Also cotton is not a good insulating layer. Sorry, I forgot. It traps moisture and invites hypothermia, my husband just reminded me of that. I think the undergarmets I had were silk and possibly bamboo, it's been 12 years since I've needed any so, sorry.

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once you start to understand the fibers and how to care for them, and how to feel and spot good quality yarns and the construction of sweaters-- you can't go back

So True!!!!!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of good tips. Basically keeping warm isn't just about buying the right single coat. It's also if you can, getting nice tights, and if you can wear under your workclothes some cotton or silk underlayers. Warm skirts and pants. Wool or wool blend socks, and waterproof boots/shoes. I also think waterproof or water resistant gloves are better than fluffy gloves because when they get wet they are useless. Getting a down coat (overall warmth level) is not so important as getting a coat that is a) longer (not just your torso but covers your butt and even legs) and is wind/ water proof/resistant. That is more key than overall warmth. I've gotten my Mom parkas from both Lands End and Cabalas that have worked well for her. Here is an example https://www.cabelas.com/product/COL...ED-JACKET/2525287.uts?slotId=2#tabsCollection

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I’m in Calgary ... I recommend a down filled coat that is as long as possible. Trust me - you’ll be so happy for a long warm coat. Mine is to my ankles and people stop me to ask where I got it.
Also, please don’t forget to take the cold seriously ... if you dress properly you should be fine - but on a humid and cold day, not much will keep you warm. Don’t get caught without gloves either.

Good luck on your move!

Nice!! Now the obvious question: Where did you get it?

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you to everyone for all of the wonderful suggestions!!

I 100% thought I was going to buy ONE coat and be done :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

But now I have a whole list of things to look out for when boxing day shopping! And I love all things cashmere, shearling, wool, and alpaca so I'm sure I can do some damage in the name of staying warm!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I got dressed this morning I thought of this thread. :)) I am wearing layers, including long underwear on the top and the bottom (not matching pieces). I chose large jeans to accomodate the bottom pants. I know when I go to my relatives' houses that I freeze on the holidays, so I dress for it. I have on a long underwear shirt; a turtleneck; and will put on my Christmas sweater when I leave. Then I have on long underwear bottoms and jeans and socks. This is for indoors!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also could not get through the winter without silk scarves. They are lightweight but insulating, and keep wind from blowing down your neck. I wear them all winter, even indoors. In fact, I have one on my neck right now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results