shape
carat
color
clarity

Moving Tips!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
We''re T-2 days for our big move. Since this is the first time we''ve moved together, we can''t believe how much STUFF we have in this little house! It''s a bit overwhelming. One of my friends said to get a bunch of post-its and color code boxes, which we''ve started, but unfortunately I''ve already lost the purple stack. Haha, there goes that plan.

Anyway, I was just curious, does anyone have any helpful ideas for moving (and keeping sane)?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don''t use cardboard boxes but instead big, plastic tubs. I thought it was strange at first (my inlaws do this) but then realized how smart it is. We reuse the same ones (on our third move). They are so easy to carry. Great to store stuff (no water damage). Also if you can move slowly, that really helps. Be ruthless and throw/donate as much as you can. Unpack the kitchen first. Have a seperate suitcase set aside with clothes, toothbrushes, etc to get you through the first couple of days before you unpack everything.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Instead of coloured post-its, I use bright coloured sheets of paper coded to rooms. So, orange = living room, blue=bedroom. Then I number each box ON the coloured sheet, which I tape to the box, and keep a rough list of what''s in each.

It saves a sserious amount of schlepping if every box makes it to the right room on the first go.

You can get coloured paper at any kinko''s or office store.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you do want to use boxes, check on the "free" section on Craigslist if your city is represented. It''s amazing how many people just give away their moving boxes!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''ve just counted up all the times I''ve moved. I''m currently living in my 15th home. These are my tricks. Donate, donate, donate. Only move the stuff that''s worth your time. Pack the stuff you need, like Tacori said, for the first couple days in suitcases. Mark your kitchen boxes explicitly! That way you can unpack some of your essentials right away. I always stay up until the kitchen is unpacked completely. Use your linens as protective covers for breakables and to keep furniture from getting scratched. Use your towels to wrap other breakables. Use whatever system is necessary to ensure boxes get to the right room. BUT, the boxes that you might just shove off to the corner to get out of the way, put those right in the living room. That way you can''t avoid unpacking them. Pack a cooler with drinks and quick-fix meals. Stuff that can be thrown into the micro or eaten cold. Otherwise, you''ll spend a fortune trying to eat out those first couple days. Try to eat up all of your pantry goods before the move. They are a pain to move!

And, my stay sane tip: always put one decorative thing up before you go to bed. Put it up in your most used room. When you wake up your first day in your new home, you''ll know you ARE home.

Good Luck.

Oh, and supply soda or beer for your helpers. (in a separate cooler)
1.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the ideas! Somethingshiny - 15 places, WOW! This is the first time we''ve ever had to actually move in one weekend - every other time, it''s been a gradual move over a week and less than an hour to travel. It''s also my first move away from "home" (I''ve never lived 45 mins away from where I grew up - we''ll be about 3 hrs away at our new home), so it''s a little different on an emotional level, too - I think that''s just been increasing my anxiety about it. After seeing everything come out of storage and fill up the main room in our basement, I''m convinced we won''t fit everything in the u-haul! We have set aside quite a bit to donate, and the color-coding system was revamped and is working out well. Thanks for the tips about the kitchen - it''s always my least favorite thing to unpack, so making a point to unpack it first sounds like the strategy for me! And I love the idea of putting up some decor right away so it feels like home. Muchas gracias!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 5:16:29 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Instead of coloured post-its, I use bright coloured sheets of paper coded to rooms. So, orange = living room, blue=bedroom. Then I number each box ON the coloured sheet, which I tape to the box, and keep a rough list of what''s in each.

It saves a sserious amount of schlepping if every box makes it to the right room on the first go.

You can get coloured paper at any kinko''s or office store.
Amen to this. I''ve moved 15 times, and I''ve learned the same thing.....it''s SO much easier if you have most boxes marked with the room they will go into upon arrival! The color coding is a great idea. I''d tape big construction paper swatches instead of post-it notes, though - those seem to come off too easily for my liking.

Don''t write what''s in the boxes on them....invites possible pilfering. Put numbers only on the boxes as IG mentioned (so Bedroom 1, Bedroom 2, Bedroom 3, Kitchen 1, etc.).......and on a sheet of paper as you pack, make a list of the more major items in each box. Then, when you''re looking for something, you''ll be able to get a fairly good idea what box it might be in.

Tacori mentioned packing a suitcase with some clothes/toiletries......I''d also include a set of clean sheets/bedding, too. You''ll be pooped, and you''ll want to make sure you can find stuff to make the bed and crawl in when you''re wiped out. Put a new shower liner and a roll of TP in that box, too.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah Al, don''t forget a roll of TP set aside! That may be the most important thing!!!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
DOH!! I can''t believe I missed the TP!! My mother would be so ashamed!! Also, I forgot to mention Chlorox Wipes. You may want to do a quick clean in the kitchen or bathroom. No one wants to sit on a stranger''s toilet!
2.gif

BTW- the whole 15 homes thing. I''m really hoping to stay at my current home until I die. I am 28 years old and worn out on the whole moving thing!!
8.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock

Anyway, I was just curious, does anyone have any helpful ideas for moving (and keeping sane)?

Hi Elmorton,

Moving is torture. However, preparation is KEY. If you are organised in your move you cannot help but be organised when you are moved. So far you have great ideas.

Here is my 2 cents - from the poor matchstick girl who had to move 3 times in 1 month! Yes 3. (Don''t ask

35.gif
)

Tv: Tape the TV remote to the TV. Those suckers have LEGS and run away. If your TV needs to be tuned when you move, find the instructions and also tape to the TV.

Emergency box for 1st day/night of move: Kettle, cups, tea/coffee, bottle of water, fizzy pop, snack, light meal, small make up bag with his/her toiletries (eg razor, foam, lady items

28.gif
, toothbrushes (also have legs) toothpaste, loo roll, pet food & bowls, travel hairdryer, hair clips/bands, hair-brush (elopes everytime with the blasted toothbrush and remote!)etc. I prefer to have this stuff in one box rather than each separate box so you only open 1 for everything to get through the night/morning.

Regarding itemising boxes, good tip not to label them if you have movers, do label them if you move yourself. If you cannot label the boxes then itemise their contents on a separate list (ideally excel so that you can control & F any items you packed away without care because you never used them in the 2 years prior to the move, but now suddenly need the xxx - trust me, its Murphy’s lay). It also reduces the long arguments of - you packed that where is it?

Make the bed up before the lounge or kitchen. Then the kitchen, then sleep.

It is not that bad - once it is done
28.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all your help!!! Everything DID fit in the truck (yay!), and while it was dark when we unloaded, everything also made it into the house with only a few broken (replaceable) items - and everything made it to the right room, and no lost remotes! We managed to get 90% unpacked within the first 24 hrs (kitchen first!). I certainly don''t want to move again any time soon, but everyone''s advice helped make it a lot smoother! Thanks!!!
36.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I know this is a little late, but hopefully someone else can use this advice.

Have a clean set of sheets ready to go, that way you won''t have to wash them when you get to the new house. We only had one set when we bought our house, so I had to wash them the morning of the move.

Also if you have any glassware/crystal, etc that has gotten dusty from sitting on the shelf, handwash it before the move, and then it will be clean when you unpack.

Also save any bubble wrap, you never know when it will come in handy.

Take a break and open up some bubbly or vino to celebrate your new home, it will also be a nice stress relief.

And the one I wish I''d used...hire a cleaning service to clean the new house so you don''t have to dust, etc before hanging clothes in the closet or stocking the fridge.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the move, Elmorton.

Enjoy your new home.

emotion-19.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Elmorton~

I just wanted to say, Welcome Home!

Many blessings in your new home!!
1.gif

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Steel, great advice!!

Elmorton, congrats on the new place!! It is always exciting to move to a different place, I hope things go well for the two of you! And you take a few moments to just relax!
1.gif

I know this is extremely late, but I would advise NOT to have a ton of people helping you pack things up. A couple of good helpers goes a long way, having too many hands - for us - got to be insame. Perhaps it was just our circle of friends/family that helped us move in to our home when it was finished - but they all had different "methods" of packing things...we had winter sweaters packed up with a few pieces of cookware, some photo frames, the Pam cooking spray, a bunch of bath towels and some of the kitties toys. Seriously. I''m not sure it they all did it as a terrible joke or if they all were that inexperienced in moving (me thinks the first.) Although it really made the time go quick, we were litterally opening up 5 boxes at a time to try and figure out where the TV remotes were.

Labeling boxes - the Sharpie marker is a great friend!!

Anyway, I wish you well in your new home!! Glad to hear the move went well!

1.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 5:32:04 PM
Author: Evelynn
...we were litterally opening up 5 boxes at a time to try and figure out where the TV remotes were.

They hide on purpose. It is scientifically proven.

"9 out of 10 remote controls surveyed begrudge moving home and hide out of spite".
emotion-15.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
LOL, Evelynn! All the boxes I packed were normal...but I will admit, DH got a little fed up with the basement and just threw a bunch of random things together - he told me that I''ll probably find the ice scrapers in the garbage bags along with my craft supplies. Interesting.

Thank you everyone for the good wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results