You get it, generally 57BABB2E-99C8-4B51-9359-261939B77977.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or rounds with prongs. I’m just saying rounds wouldn’t be the worst
1FBB476C-7C72-4258-B270-A604F34C49A6.jpeg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Niel the titanic three stone style has always been a favorite of mine. I also like a 12 prong setting. But I do not think I would like rounds as sides, something doesn't feel right to me about them and would prefer pears, movals or even long slender half moons for a three stone. Thanks for the mock ups though.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@AV_ haha-I am not sure you want to see my drawings ;-). Not very pretty!

Reactions: AV_

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you considered long, slender baguettes as side stones? It is a very classic setting. Though I would love to see your diamond with half moons.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
batch_20200121-Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 9.21.38 AM.png
Am kind of liking something along the lines of as this as well. batch_Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 8.33.16 AM.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about something like this
7CDDC5EA-8482-41FB-8A37-3C2DEF82FD73.jpeg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Haha-I love the emerald cut-it is gorgeous! However, nothing excites me about the setting itself. The setting for the ruby cushion is pretty.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seeing these mock ups is really making me want to see this diamond in a solitaire setting. You can really appreciate the size, shape, color, faceting that way.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing these mock ups is really making me want to see this diamond in a solitaire setting. You can really appreciate the size, shape, color, faceting that way.

Idk I think the color will not stand out as much without contrasting diamonds.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What color is it? It looks so pink in those photos.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I would love a solitaire, I don’t own any non-colored stone solitaires, but that is because I usually like a little extra bling, especially if I cannot wear a band easily with it. But, I feel this stone needs some contrast with whiter stones, so will likely go with another style. It is currently at the GIA, so we will see what they say for color. :)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would love a solitaire ... But, I feel this stone needs some contrast with whiter stones, so will likely go with another style.

Three white steps www ...

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is such a beautiful stone that any elaborate setting will detract from it-IMHO. I think half moons or bullets would be ideal as opposed to traps, trillions or fancier cuts.Half moons seem to beautifully hug the sides of a Moval and bullets also provide for more width at the side of the Moval and loo more substantial.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this step-cut pear pair that are currently set with a cushion that I am thinking of redoing it’s setting, but am thinking more rounded sides might be a better choice with the moval. 30C0DBC5-EC3E-4563-B088-9CD6ED8F1FB2.jpeg

those are so cool!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@AV_ I saw that ring-it is really pretty! I have considered a 5 stone with 2 graduated long slender baguettes on each side-similar to this terrible mock up, but with a little longer baguettes.

batch_20200122-Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 10.31.46 AM.png

Last edited:

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@lambskin I do like the idea of long slender half moons, I have been searching for a nice example of some.

@bludiva thank you, they are a really fun pair! They have been set with a chunky faceted cushion for several years which I am considering resetting in a halo with some lovely rose cut yogo's.

With the mock up above, I like the look of 4 prongs, but would likely not feel like the stone is secure enough and would go with an 8,10 or 12 prong center.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love to hear more about how you came to own this amazing diamond with no lab report? It has captured my imagination. Do you know anything about its age? Have you ever seen it set?

I agree with setting it with many prongs for security. But also, the diamond is so large that you can kind of have your cake and eat it too when it comes to prongs: You can have the security of many prongs and still have a beautiful swoopy gallery, which is something I really love but looks best when there is enough room between each prong to get a generous swoop.

If you use side stones, I would lean towards keeping them smaller so that the attention really remains on the center. Obviously you want the proportions to really work, but I think if you strike the right balance you can get the contrast but really maintain the "accent stone" look.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
half moons would be beautiful. you could do 4 double prongs as long as they are really separate prongs and not 1 prong split in half...have the look of 4 prongs with the added security...

AV_

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Dreamer that side stones should be on the small side to not detract from the center. I like the baguette setting above, but I might make them a little shorter, not longer.

I also like round accent sides but much smaller than the ones above. The setting below by CVB is one I plan to do in rose gold with an elongated opal. It will be like this one but just with the one bezeled diamond on each side. I also wouldn't do such dark antiquing. I am getting the idea that you want more of an Edwardian or Art Deco setting, but I thought I'd post this for fun.

CVBoval.jpg

This one is bezeled and has smaller sides, but I just wanted to show a face-up view.

CVBjessica.aqua2.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am exactly zero in the help department for design. Just wanted to say that is one beautiful diamond you have there!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@AV_ those rounded sticks would make a lovely setting!

@StephanieLynn Thank you! It will be fun to see her set, now I just need to make up my mind on which direction to go with it :)

I have decided I would prefer her set N-S and have now decided against half moons because I have another ring I am working on that will have an oval emerald cab set with half moons, so feel I should branch out a bit. I love art deco, so may lean that direction.

@diamondseeker2006 CvB has some really pretty settings I actually really like the 4 prong placement in the first one you posted. I will most likely not bezel this stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I want to set my opal like that first picture in my last post! With an elongated oval, I might consider using 6 prongs and still have promgs at 12:00 and 6:00 and then two on each side.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
One more - www

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@diamondseeker2006 that sounds like a really pretty setting in rose gold for your opal, I’m excited to see it when finished!

@AV_ that is pretty also thanks :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results