shape
carat
color
clarity

Mounting a diamond **advice needed**

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sk11

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I have some questions regarding mounting a diamond. I bought my stone @ Whiteflash and setting at Bailey Banks and Biddle. A very reputable independent appraiser told me that unless the place you bought your diamond at is mounting it, any other jeweller will not take responsibility for damages that may occur during the process. My questions is as followed:

1. Is the independent appraiser correct in saying that? There is this local jeweller (Pricescope recommended) with fabulous reviews where I am thinking of getting my stone mounted. I have asked them point blank if they would replace my stone if it gets damaged during the mounting process, they said yes they have insurance that covers it. They also reassured me that I can even sit in and watch. Can I trust this jeweller or are they BSing me?

2. Can anyone share their experiences with me regarding mounting a stone at an indenpendent jeweller? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the most part, yes they are correct. But it''s always worthwhile to ask, as some jewelers will cover it. You can get insurance through Jeweler''s Mutual prior to setting the stone that will cover it while it''s being set (and also is a regular insurance policy) so I would look into that.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It all depends on how good the benchman is who''s setting your stone. Have someone set it who you trust. Why not send the setting and stone back to wf? If you say what city you are near maybe someone has a recommendation of local jewelers.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 1:17:01 PM
Author: neatfreak
For the most part, yes they are correct. But it's always worthwhile to ask, as some jewelers will cover it. You can get insurance through Jeweler's Mutual prior to setting the stone that will cover it while it's being set (and also is a regular insurance policy) so I would look into that.
Ditto. I had my stone and ring insured and bought the stone from WF and ring from Solomon Bros and SB set it.

I hope you share w/us pictures of your beautiful ring
12.gif
also, welcome to Pricescope

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 1:11:50 PM
Author:sk11
Hi everyone! I have some questions regarding mounting a diamond. I bought my stone @ Whiteflash and setting at Bailey Banks and Biddle. A very reputable independent appraiser told me that unless the place you bought your diamond at is mounting it, any other jeweller will not take responsibility for damages that may occur during the process. My questions is as followed:

1. Is the independent appraiser correct in saying that? There is this local jeweller (Pricescope recommended) with fabulous reviews where I am thinking of getting my stone mounted. I have asked them point blank if they would replace my stone if it gets damaged during the mounting process, they said yes they have insurance that covers it. They also reassured me that I can even sit in and watch. Can I trust this jeweller or are they BSing me?

2. Can anyone share their experiences with me regarding mounting a stone at an indenpendent jeweller? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Well usually I would say yes, the appraiser is correct. To this date I have never heard of a jeweller agreeing to cover damage if its not their diamond.

But from what you're saying, you have asked this jeweller and they have told you they will - imo that trumps the info from the appraiser or from us, as you've been told by your jeweller in person. I don't see why you shouldn't believe them, as they would only be digging themselves a hole by saying yes if they mean no.
2.gif

Perhaps before you go ahead, ask for this policy in writing so that everyone's clear on what you're asking.

It sounds like you have found an amenable and decent jeweller!

I have done a similiar thing to yours (bought diamond from GOG and had set at WF). My diamond wasn't covered, and yes it was a lil nerve wracking, but if I didn't trust WF's bench I wouldn't have gone ahead.
Everything went perfectly btw
1.gif

I agree with the others, it really boils down to how much you trust the bench - but it sounds like you have done your research
1.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know quite a few jewelers who cover damage while in their care, and I’m surprised there aren’t more. That said, this does seem to be a minority. If you’ve got a local jeweler who you find to be recommended, who will agree to do the work for a price you’re happy with and who will agree to accept liability while in their care, I would say that trumps the appraiser’s theoretical position that this is unusual. Most (but not all) of jewelers I know who do this will have it in writing as part of their take-in procedure and/or through signage in the store although some jewelers are a little lax regarding paperwork. That’s why they became jewelers and not lawyers I suppose.

The pros are that you get some of the benefits of the jewelers work and you usually save some money over what it would have cost you to buy the whole thing directly from them and you get an expanded selection opportunity if you supply some or all of the parts. The cons are exactly what you’re discovering. If there’s trouble, either with the stone, the mounting or the craftsmanship or the way the various components work together harmoniously, there tends to be a fingerpointing session between the various players over who is responsible for what. This is avoided by doing the whole deal at one place.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

sk11

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your advice and responses! I really appreciate it.

The situation has changed a bit over the weekend. Basically, the setting I bought it in is size 7 and I have to size it down to a 4. Because the resizing will be so significant and there are also pavel diamonds around 3/4 of the band, I am planning on having Bailey Banks and Biddle do it (since they will be responsible for any damages). They have offered me a 2-year warranty plan for $100 that would additionally cover the fees for resizing and mounting the diamond. Again, I have asked them point blank if they would cover any damages that might occur in the mounting process and the manager told me they would. In summary, I think I am going to have BBB resize my ring and mount the diamond. Do you think this is a better bet? (I know most of you are going to say that it all depends on my level of confidence in BBB). I guess I am just asking for some reassurance.
emteeth.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure you should size down a ring with pave from a 7 to a 4 because it could damage the integrity of how the pave stones are set and they could fall out frequently. I would try to order the setting in the correct size to avoid this. Then you could have either set the stone as long as either will cover damages (get this policy in writing!).

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 6:18:13 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I''m not sure you should size down a ring with pave from a 7 to a 4 because it could damage the integrity of how the pave stones are set and they could fall out frequently. I would try to order the setting in the correct size to avoid this. Then you could have either set the stone as long as either will cover damages (get this policy in writing!).

i agree. if you order the ring in the correct size you will not be compromising the setting. and you probably wouldn''t need the policy. if you don''t follow the rules of the policy, your money will be wasted. if you get it. make sure you go every six months or whatever they require, because if you miss it your policy is void. (usually)

sk11

Rough_Rock
Sizing down from a size 7 to a 4 was a major concern of mine as well. The BBB jeweller took a look at it today and said that he should not have a problem doing the resizing without compromising the integrity of the ring. I have also investigated the other option which is to custom order the ring in my size. Unfortunately the vendor is overseas and it would require a long process of creating another mold and getting the dedicated people to work on it. This would not only take a long time but I would have to potentially pay more money (due to extra labor). I am going to try get everything in writing so that I am covered in all circumstances.

GaelsGolf

Rough_Rock

I''m going through the same process and have read several posts on CHUBB and Jewelers Mutual, both of which seem to allow coverage during the setting process. After talking with Touchstone (agent of CHUBB), I was surprised to find out that they do not cover several scenarios of lost items.

1. If my FI were to take the ring off to wash her hand in a public bathroom and forget to put it back on and lose it...
2. " " for whatever reason while in the car, put it in her lap, and get out of the car forgetting it was there and lose it...
3. " " in a hotel room, leave for a period of time, only to find it''s missing upon returning to the room...

I was told by Touchstone that none of these scenarios would be covered under the CHUBB policy, however from my conversations with AAA and JM it sounds like they would. Has anyone had similar experiences with these vendors that can confirm if this is valid?

Mike

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know anything about Chubb, you''d have to specifically ask them. I do know that my policy (separate policy through State Farm) covers all of the examples you gave. It covers loss, damage, carelessness, theft, you name it. I specifically asked, and read the policy carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results