shape
carat
color
clarity

mother of the bride dress

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wedding colors are red wine/burgundy and ivory, possibly with celery green as an accent. My MOH and bridesmaids are wearing cocktail length dresses in red wine/burgundy. Our wedding, which is outdoors in late September in the mid-Atlantic, has a local and seasonal theme. What colors would complement that for a mother-of-the-bride dress?

FI's mom, wanting to find something that would be nice with the wedding colors and theme, was considering a full length brown dress and sent pictures of it to FI and I before purchasing it. We liked the dress and gave her an enthusiastic thumbs up. My mom, on the other hand, sent me an email saying she purchased a full length navy blue dress from the bridesmaid section (?!) of a popular bridal gown store without first consulting me. She also said she is going to wear a matching blue jacket. Despite the dress possibly looking like a prom dress gone bad on a 60-something year old woman and not being in a seasonal color, does navy go with red wine/burgundy? Does it even matter?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I think Navy could actually be a lovely accent color to the ones you've chosen for your wedding, as I've seen at least one wedding where the colors were Navy and Burgundy and it was quite stunning!

And I'm sure the dress your mother picked will be lovely. And I'm sure the dress will be age-appropriate, especially if she is considering the matching jacket! Please post pictures if she sends them your way!

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
I think the navy could be really nice. I guess it just depends on where she got the dress. We got all of the maids dresses (and the wedding gown) for my brother's wedding at Priscilla of Boston. There were quite a few dresses that would be great (and very chic) mother of the bride/groom dresses. There were not too many prommy type dresses. And if she went to a high-end salon, then hopefully the consultant worked with her to pick out something age appropriate and fitting for the wedding theme/season.

If she went to a less high end store where you can just pull things off the rack and walk out with them as is, then you should just ask her for pictures or go see it, if you live close (and tell her to keep the tags on so she can return it if necessary).

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
You could always use navy as your accent color

Seriously I think of navy as a fall/winter color and to me it does go with burgundy.
Maybe get her a burgundy print scarf or some jewelry?
It could be worse, say bright orange or yellow.

And no in the end it really doesn't matter.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to admit that brown, or a browny-bronze, came to my mind when you described your colors -- but navy should fit in very nicely too! Do you have a picture to share with us?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the responses. Here's a link to a picture of the dress. http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product...r environment will likely still be summerish.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Because of the empire styling I'm having trouble picturing it with a jacket.
None of the colors are called navy.
Is it Indigo?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for checking it out, MissMina. She said it's navy with a matching bolero jacket. It looks like Horizon or Marina on the website.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
While it is strange that your mother went shopping in the BM section of David's Bridal for a dress for your wedding it certainly could have been worse! I was imagining some super low cut or inappropriately revealing dress based on what you said. The dress is not terribly young looking and I think it will be just fine, especially with a bolero. I find that so many MOB dresses are over the top matronly! That was the reason that neither my mom or DH's mom bought a specific mother of the bride or groom dress for our wedding. They both went and bought an off-the-rack dress from a department store.

I think navy will go just fine with your color scheme. If it makes you feel better, neither of the the mothers are my wedding were dressed in the "theme" or color scheme. All of my BMs were in blues, the men in dark suits with white shirts and some kind of blue tie. Both mothers wore neutral metallic-ish dresses (MIL in champagne and my mother in a metallic darker brown). I think if the people in the wedding are happy with the way they look, your pictures will be that much better so giving your mom some control on what she wears will ensure that she is happy with the way she looks at your wedding.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
i think the navy would be fine with the color scheme you mentioned.

personally, i didn't give the mother's any directions other than wear a dress that they like. my mother is wearing a champagne short dress w/a 3/4 sleeve jacket she found on sale at a department store and those "dressy" kitten heel thong shoes in gold (the shoes would not have been my choice, but...). mil is wearing ??? hopefully a dress. i didn't feel right dictating that they follow a certain "theme" for their clothing. of course, i am making the dad's wear tuxes. what can i say? i'm contradictory :bigsmile:

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I really like the dress your mom chose! Looks like something I would have chosen myself :D

Navy is a "neutral" just like white, black, or grey, and goes with almost anything. It will coordinate nicely.

Be glad she didn't pick pepto bismol pink!!! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results