shape
carat
color
clarity

Mother of 9 sues doctors for making her sterile

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Military thing bothers me too-I had no idea how poorly they were paid until I read a couple articles about it in the paper and my brother joined the Navy. Veterans too, who need help can''t always get it, and that''s maddening to me.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 11:31:30 AM
Author: iluvcarats

Date: 1/8/2010 9:32:57 AM
Author: meresal

Date: 1/8/2010 9:10:09 AM

Author: iluvcarats

Date: 1/8/2010 2:36:26 AM

Author: Cehrabehra

I was on WIC when my daughter was a baby - my husband was military and we were living in a really crappy part of San Leandro while he was stationed in Alameda (for 6 mos of that year he was in the persian gulf) and if you qualify on a military salary - why wouldn't I take it? It was a very hard year financially because rent was so high and we didn't get enough to compensate for that. I've had people give me a hard time about that before, but who cares what they think. My husband was serving his country and getting a pittance for it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with supplementing your income in that way - that's what IT'S FOR.

I had to calm myself down before I could even reply to this. How can we do this to our soldiers and their families? Ask people to kiss and hug their loved ones goodbye, possibly forever,and treat them this way? THIS is where our tax money should go. To help these families who make the ultimate sacrifice for our country. Instead our elected officials vote to bail out banks and insure millions of dollars in bonuses that we will continue to pay for years. It's unconscionable.

As for the woman in question, obviously no one has the right to make that decision for her. Do I wish she had come to that conclusion herself? Yes. But it is up to her. If she needs assistance she should get it. The real losers here are her children who grow up in this cycle, which is tragic. As Neatfreak has so clearly illustrated, Welfare, which doesn't provide much,is at the very least a misnomer.

Our country and our government should be ashamed of how we treat our military and their families
29.gif
14.gif
38.gif
There are also many many thousands of people that work very hard everyday at these banks that had absolutely NOTHING to do with why things went wrong. How do you determine which 'family' gets help and which gets thrown out onto the street. I started a thread regarding my company yesterday, and we have had 5 waves of layoffs dating back to March of 2008, which was about 6 months before the market fell. If it were not for the government bailout, which my company has paid all of back, there would be thousands and thousands more people needing government assistance... at least this way, the gov't actually gets back, what they put into the problem.

Chera WAS given help. What more are you asking the government to do? She said it was a hard time, but they made it thru, which is what the gov't assistance is supposed to do. Help you 'make it'.

ETA:

But this thread isn't about the the government's spending choices... My apologies for getting 'side tracked'
2.gif

My problem is not with the people who work at banks, so I apologize if that is the way it came across. I resent millions of dollars of tax money going to pay for large bonuses while military families have a hard time making ends meet. I guess because you work at a bank, you are interpreting this as a personal attack, but it is not. And I think that any family who needs help should get it. But I think that we should hold military service in higher regard than we do. Not higher than everybody else, but higher than we currently do. If people are willing to make such sacrifices to protect our freedom, they shouldn't need to ask for government assistance. I am 'asking the government' to treat our soldiers better than they do, and to use our tax money more wisely so that it actually helps people who need it. And incidentally, how can you have a discussion about welfare and not talk about the government's spending choices?
I didn't take it personally, per se, I was just explaining that the tax dollars that went to help the banks, did go towards helping people as well. It helped to retain thousands and thousands of jobs that would have been lost, and then those tax dollars would have just been spent on feeding the families of those bank workers that lost thier jobs. At least this way, the gov't is getting the money back that they "invested".

Until the government starts drafting again, being in the armed forces is a job just like everyone else. Yes, you must travel for long periods of time and put your life on the line while you are away, but these men and women sign up for that themselves. It is not a secret door that they take you thru after you sign the dotted line. They know the hazards, the long hours, and the pay, before enlisting. (I am very grateful for everything that these men and women do for our country, and understand that what they have chosen to do, is something that is benefiting all of us citizens that remain at home with our loved ones.)

There is losts of assistance out there for military families (just like families with low-incomes). But that is why lots of military families live in tiny apartments on the bases they work at. Cheaper housing costs. The help is there if you need it and are qualified for it. If the gov't raises all armed forces salaries, then our taxes go up... *I assume*.

And then the gov't gets backlash ten-fold...

FWIW- For every story that someone has of a starving family, there is someone with a story of a person that isn't starving and is doing better than lots of people that aren't in the armed forces. My DH has a friend that was just transferred out to San Diego (US Marines), and he, with his fiance who doesn't work, are renting a house that is $2300/month. That is $1000 more than my husband and I pay, and we both work full time jobs. Maybe it isn't that they are ALL being underpaid, maybe it just isn't being disbursed across teh board very well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results