shape
carat
color
clarity

(Mostly) finished product!

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone...just for background I got TONS of help in choosing a stone in this thread from great folks:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sapphires-help-me-decide.215837/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sapphires-help-me-decide.215837/[/URL]

I'm back, this time with a ring! Per my sisters advice (and I totally agree) it's going to be lowered, it just seems like it's set real high, unnecessarily high imo.

Thoughts on the setting/band/height? Minus the height I think it came out beautiful but I'm a bit biased :) Don't hold back, I can take it if you don't like it, just want to get this right since I'm 100% getting it sent back anyway (mostly to have it lowered, but the shop also forgot to engrave it and it's probably the thing my GF will like best about the ring so I might as well get that done right :) ). Thanks in advance!

_34993.jpg

_34994.jpg

_34995.jpg

_34996.jpg

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
I like the center stone. The band seems to be to much height on the sides because of the two diamonds. It looks like it is forcing a big gap in-between the ring finger and pinky. It also looks like it's forcing itself into the middle finger. You have to think of something she wear EVERYDAY for the rest of her life.

Don't know if this helps.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the center stone, but agree the stones are set too high and would likely be uncomfortable.

I also have a strong preference for claw prongs, just because I don't (personally) like the look of the rounded ones, but that is definitely a personal preference and depends on your/her taste on those things.

I think overall it turned out great! And I'm glad you can send it back to get the engraving done/lower stones, etc. It helps to have a great jeweler who's willing to change those things. :wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous center stone!! I would personally have it set 'almost as low as possible', though that is personal taste as not everyone likes their stones set low. The ring is also a tad wide so you would have to investigate wheter the ring will not be too wide for your GF's finger and perhaps use smaller sidestones. Will your GF wear the ring with a band? That is also someting to consider. In this case their will be a gap between the ring and the wedding band but personally I prefer that look.

Thanks for sharing this beauty and please come back to show the second version. Perhaps ask the jeweller to make a (computer) drawing first?)

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback! My sister's been a HUGE help through all this, I'm sure she's sick of me but she's been great (for those who didn't see the other thread, she works in a jewelry store). Unfortunately she can't do the design/setting herself, her shop isn't the greatest in the world so I was worried about quality to be honest, but she's been such a huge help.

I completely agree the stones are set too far apart, and I think it's a simple result of the band/setting being too thick/weighty. I just sent her an e-mail (I live a few hours away so can't do this in person unfortunately), we'll see what she/the shop can do because while I LOVE the face-up view and the stones, the side view is ugly to me, just super bulky/thick imo.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I love the convinatiin combination of stones and really hate the setting

I'm being blunt because I think you have the making of something amazing, and I'd hate for you to trip at the finish line.

I fear its set that high to make it fit all on top of the fingers. If set lower, the stones might get between her fingers.

Any chance those rounds could be swapped out for oval? Ovals would be thinner, allowing the diamonds to set lower without worrying about them sandwiched between fingers.

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Niel|1445710206|3941676 said:
Yes, I love the convinatiin combination of stones and really hate the setting

I'm being blunt because I think you have the making of something amazing, and I'd hate for you to trip at the finish line.

Love the honesty! You've been a huge help and on something like this I'd HATE for people to give me false praise because all I want is to get it right, so thank you :appl:

I sent her this picture as a guide, not necessarily the overlapping, sweeping prongs (though I do like it) but more the simple weight/thickness of the band. Seeing this one (below) and my ring side-by-side it's striking just how thick the band/setting is on mine. We'll see how much they can do in modifying it, fingers crossed!

r-1666.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the difference between a really special 3 stone and a regular 3 stone is really angles and proportions.

I think if you stay with the rounds, theyre going to need to be set slightly more at an angle to fit them all into the finger, then they need to be tucked slightly under the stone.

go look throught these rings.
https://leonmege.com/portfolio/custom-work/three-stone?limitstart=0

does she work in cads? could she provide you a cad of the next ring before moving to production?

it sucks you cant see a better profile of this, because i think this would be a great one to show her and say "copy this "

my_collection_jess_2007_009.jpg

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Niel|1445711261|3941684 said:
does she work in cads? could she provide you a cad of the next ring before moving to production?

I don't believe so, no. I did mention in the e-mail that seeing the design before it's made would be helpful, hopefully that's something they can provide.

Thanks for the link, looking through those mostly only have the one picture, nothing giving a good side view. I mostly want to get across the idea that there's just too much 'ring', it's way too thick from the band to the prongs to the height. And I'm kinda disappointed that it's so boring, there is absolutely nothing design-wise, just a thick band with three stones plopped on top. The stones happen to be GORGEOUS, but the band and setting almost swallow them up.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heres another portion of the ring that needs adjusting where yours has no a strait line of metal up to the side stones from the shank, once set lower, i do believe the transition sould come with a curve, as noted in this photo

_34998.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eagle2015|1445712069|3941686 said:

I don't believe so, no. I did mention in the e-mail that seeing the design before it's made would be helpful, hopefully that's something they can provide.

Thanks for the link, looking through those mostly only have the one picture, nothing giving a good side view. I mostly want to get across the idea that there's just too much 'ring', it's way too thick from the band to the prongs to the height. And I'm kinda disappointed that it's so boring, there is absolutely nothing design-wise, just a thick band with three stones plopped on top. The stones happen to be GORGEOUS, but the band and setting almost swallow them up.

and you have to work with your sisters designer to stay in budget?

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
it sucks you cant see a better profile of this, because i think this would be a great one to show her and say "copy this "

no other pics? It looks way thinner, setting-wise, than mine...I agree it looks great!

What I mentioned in the e-mail, and what I'm trying to convey to my sister, is I want the band/setting to be as inconsequential as possible while still keeping the stones stable. Thin and delicate-looking, let the stones be the stars. They're almost drowning in 'ring' right now!

If anyone has any side views of a thinner 3-stone let me know! Been googling and not having a ton of luck (besides the one I posted), apparently side views aren't super popular (probably because they're generally boring).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*now there are some design elements in this that may not appeal to you so look at the basics of the ring, mostly the angles of the stone, how low set they are, how the prongs of the side stone seems to come out of the cathedral shank, and also, how it has that arch in the shank where it meets the side stones

three_1.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eagle2015|1445712776|3941694 said:

no other pics? It looks way thinner, setting-wise, than mine...I agree it looks great!

What I mentioned in the e-mail, and what I'm trying to convey to my sister, is I want the band/setting to be as inconsequential as possible while still keeping the stones stable. Thin and delicate-looking, let the stones be the stars. They're almost drowning in 'ring' right now!

If anyone has any side views of a thinner 3-stone let me know! Been googling and not having a ton of luck (besides the one I posted), apparently side views aren't super popular (probably because they're generally boring).

heres a link with more photos. however, i would not send her these as an example.. though beautiful, they, i think, are also set too high for what youre doing, and i think your designer needs a very exact example to mase her design off of

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-from-my-collection.68225/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-from-my-collection.68225/[/URL]

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Niel|1445712402|3941691 said:

No, it's not a budget thing, just a family thing. I know people will say 'she'll understand, you just want to get it right' but she loves her shop, loves her job, I could never ever tell her 'your shop does crap work, I'm taking it elsewhere', she'd be devastated (even if I said it much more diplomatically).

And I'm being a bit unfair, I honestly don't know much about the jeweler except it's a small shop and they cater to low budget-type customers, I feel like they do cookie-cutter .5-1ct diamond rings 99% of the time. I don't want nor expect something exquisite but I'm not entirely sure if they do more delicate, precision work all that much.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eagle2015|1445713082|3941697 said:
Niel|1445712402|3941691 said:

No, it's not a budget thing, just a family thing. I know people will say 'she'll understand, you just want to get it right' but she loves her shop, loves her job, I could never ever tell her 'your shop does crap work, I'm taking it elsewhere', she'd be devastated (even if I said it much more diplomatically).

And I'm being a bit unfair, I honestly don't know much about the jeweler except it's a small shop and they cater to low budget-type customers, I feel like they do cookie-cutter .5-1ct diamond rings 99% of the time. I don't want nor expect something exquisite but I'm not entirely sure if they do more delicate, precision work all that much.

i completely understand not wanting to upset your sister. But it may just be that they dont provide what you need. In my opinion, you need someone who does precision work, or who provides cads that you can tweak until it meets your standards. What will happen if you send it to them again and it doesnt come out that time? I mean, she was able to source you a sapphire and diamonds, shes already contributed a lot to the outcome of this ring

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Niel|1445713528|3941699 said:
i completely understand not wanting to upset your sister. But it may just be that they dont provide what you need. In my opinion, you need someone who does precision work, or who provides cads that you can tweak until it meets your standards. What will happen if you send it to them again and it doesnt come out that time? I mean, she was able to source you a sapphire and diamonds, shes already contributed a lot to the outcome of this ring

Yeah, I get what you're saying...to be honest, if it doesn't come back perfect next time I'd propose with that ring (god we're getting close to that date!) and talk to my girlfriend about it, if she agreed it should be redone I'd take it to a different shop. As stupid/insane as it probably sounds, I'd rather pay a few grand to get it redone when my sister isn't involved than tell her her shop is doing bad work.

That said the pics you sent are great, I just sent her a detailed e-mail with two examples so I'm confident she can get that conveyed to the shop. I'm confident/hopeful they can get it right, all I'm asking for is a thinner/lower profile setting, I don't think it'll be difficult.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what was the engraving you were talking about?

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Niel|1445714208|3941701 said:
what was the engraving you were talking about?

Song lyrics from 'our' song (will be the first dance at our wedding; she sent me the song when we first started dating): 'You'd be something to lose'

It's a beautiful song, by Corey Smith

And she'll 100% start crying when she sees the engraving :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh so just on the inside? thats sweet! nothing on the outside of the ring for decoration?

also, i did these photos, if they are helpful at all to you, to email to them

_34999.jpg

_35000.jpg

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Niel|1445714910|3941704 said:
oh so just on the inside? thats sweet! nothing on the outside of the ring for decoration?

also, i did these photos, if they are helpful at all to you, to email to them

Niel you're the best!

Yeah, engraving on the inside. I decided to keep the design simple, keep the focus on the sapphire; I was HOPING the band/setting would have at least a tiny bit of flair to it but that's my fault for not discussing those details. We agreed on the sapphire and side-stones then I basically said 'make it into a ring'...oops :)

I like those design suggestions, I'm going to do one myself with a few modifications but thank you for the idea :D

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow Neil you are the greatest :) Those pics with notes are super helpful, and added things to change that I didn't even realize would help, but now can clearly imagine they do (e.g. the "swoop").

Eagle I completely understand not wanting to upset your sister--hopefully they can get it right when you have a picture with tons of notations/changes and they have something specific to work from.

I know your gf will LOVE it, especially since you are spending so much time here and being so thoughtful :appl:

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Bumping this with THE finished product...I LOVE it! This is exactly what I pictured when I sent instructions to my sister. Can't thank the PS community enough for all their help, especially Niel, you were an absolute godsend during this entire process! :clap:

I don't yet have the ring in my possession, I might get a video on here when I do. Keep in mind this is still in the crappy indoor shop lighting so I don't think the stone itself shows particularly well, but you can see the changes in the setting, it's like night and day: this one is so remarkably delicate, the cathedral shank (or whatever the terminology is) really gives it an elegance whereas before it looks cold and hard.

Thank you all again...at this point it's a done deal so feel free to criticize anything you want but this baby is DONE and I love it!!!

EDIT: and apologies for the blurriness in some of these, beggars can be choosers. I'm getting this on Tuesday so I'll try to get a decent video uploaded then.

img_9902.jpg

img_9903.jpg

img_0916.jpg

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
And two more...

img_9904.jpg

img_9905.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats with this result. The ring looks beautiful and I am glad you love it.
Happy proposal and please come back with hanpics from your then fiancee's hand

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy wow!

I wasn't sure based on the first ring that they would be able to produce a ring so delicate!

It's killer and stunning and she's sure to love it and I'm sure she will love how much thought and effort you put into it.

Please don't let this be the last set of photos. It's really a gem of a ring!

Whens the proposal? Before thanksgiving??

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The remake turned out gorgeous - so perfectly refined and graceful - really sets off that beautiful blue sapphire - please do come back with IRL hand shots/videos/proposal story!

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Niel|1448137962|3952543 said:
Holy wow!

I wasn't sure based on the first ring that they would be able to produce a ring so delicate!

It's killer and stunning and she's sure to love it and I'm sure she will love how much thought and effort you put into it.

Thanks Niel (and Acinom and marymm), much appreciated! I'll definitely be posting more of the ring, a video some time this week and will get the bride-to-be to do some hand shots as well. And I agree, I was seriously stressing about whether they could pull this look off but they did an amazing job, I think getting better quality photos will show how amazing it looks...last time my sister was happy when she saw it, this time she broke down crying--I think this one's a winner :dance:

The 'big night' is mid-December; originally planned for mid-fall but the ring delays set me back and now she's in the last few weeks of her semester (grad. nursing school, so she's pretty stressed)...surprise 'end-of-semester' dinner and theatre show then the down-on-one-knee thingie :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eagle2015|1448138689|3952546 said:
Niel|1448137962|3952543 said:
Holy wow!

Thanks Niel (and Acinom and marymm), much appreciated! I'll definitely be posting more of the ring, a video some time this week and will get the bride-to-be to do some hand shots as well. And I agree, I was seriously stressing about whether they could pull this look off but they did an amazing job, I think getting better quality photos will show how amazing it looks...last time my sister was happy when she saw it, this time she broke down crying--I think this one's a winner :dance:

The 'big night' is mid-December; originally planned for mid-fall but the ring delays set me back and now she's in the last few weeks of her semester (grad. nursing school, so she's pretty stressed)...surprise 'end-of-semester' dinner and theatre show then the down-on-one-knee thingie :)

That makes sense. Don't want to stress her out just to have a ring to show off at family dinner.

The profile comparison is strikingly different, where the top is similar, but subtle changes make it more fuid and wearable (notice how its not getting in between the fingers anymore )

img_20151121_154632.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, it turned out great! I am super impressed with how it turned out--so delicate and perfect! I'm sure she'll be thrilled, I can't wait to see IRL pics! :appl: :love:

EDIT: wow, the profiles of the two rings side by side are incredible! It makes it even more impressive when you see the two in the same picture :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results