shape
carat
color
clarity

Morganite rumor: not being mined??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ger100

Shiny_Rock
One of the TV shows (yo''all know which one I''m sure) read portions of a trade magazine article on TV yesterday.

It said that there is no current mine production of "jewel quality Morganite."

Does anyone know if this is true? Their Morganite is very pale. I ordered a ring which is gong back because it is barely flesh colored at 4 cts. I searched around and there is nothing on ebay, or any of a number of other sites...except some really really pale stuff. I think Morganite should be PINK!
37.gif

Thanks
Ger

2.95 ct morganite ring 305.jpg

ger100

Shiny_Rock
PS: The stone is set in rose gold which gives it a hint of peachy pink...and I mean barely a hint (in real life). The photo is the seller''s, off the net.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dunno, but those TV shows always use scare tactics. Like buy this now, it''s the last of the last. What a crock.
20.gif
I love Morganite. It''s such a pretty stone and has a lovely pink color. So glad you are returning it, plus the diamonds look like FS, frozen spit. Don''t be mad at me, just telling it like it is.
2.gif

ger100

Shiny_Rock
36.gif
FS...frozen spit. I love it!
31.gif

You''ve got a very good eye. Almost all of the diamonds are cracked!!

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 11:54:00 PM
Author:ger100
It said that there is no current mine production of ''jewel quality Morganite.''

Ger

Haha -- they forgot to add, that it is okay because they sell commercial quality morganite.

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Ah soooo. "Commercial quality." Indeed!

But is it true that there is no "jewel quality" Morganite being mined right now??

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 12:57:07 AM
Author: ger100
Ah soooo. ''Commercial quality.'' Indeed!

But is it true that there is no ''jewel quality'' Morganite being mined right now??
Oh you''re smarter than that!!!!
2.gif
You''ve got to call your cable company and disconnect this channel. They feed you a bunch of BS.
24.gif

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
We saw that same show! I really think they are absolutely full of it at times
19.gif

If they showed a stone with proper color and large enough size, I wonder if it would be worth sending to someone like Dan Stair or Michael E for recutting? That Morganite *can* be pretty, but much of what they showed was pretty pathetic.

We normally just watch for entertainment value. Although, I did fall absolutely hook line and sinker for the Chrome Diopside they had in the segment prior to the Morganite (blushing). I was so curious. It is entirely possible that the stones will look like glass at the bottom of a fishbowl, but I just had to try it!! My last three stones have been from Dan Stair, and there is just no comparison ... so now that I am spoiled the Chrome Diopside will probably end up being sent back
9.gif

Love the expression FROZEN SPIT! That about covers 90% of the settings we have found on Ebay/JTV.
36.gif

jeffwhite

Rough_Rock
As a gemcutter, I have to call BS on this one. I can tell you that morganite is readily available to me as rough. Although there always a chance that my suppliers have "old stock" they''re working down, they would be the first to tell their clients if this was the case (and thus be able to charge a premium for the material :) Like the others, I bet this was merely a scare tactic....

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Ger,
Yes, I know the show. I can''t stop watching although I haven''t purchased anything in a long while,(6 months).
Brazil needs electricity for folks and have flooded the morganite mines. I believe the knuzite mines are also flooded. JTV no longer will pay prices asked for new Kunzite so that stone has disappeared from their show. They do have some rings both in morganite and kunzite. About a month or two ago they had very nice morganite with good color(pink with peach) but it gets sold immediately. I have learned they give you the top price for top grade material, but are selling you commercial grade most of the time. Their diamonds, even in high end pieces are no more than si1, si2, i1, i2.
They are no longer carrying tsavorite garnet because the price has skyrocketed,so they say. I purchased 5 0r 6 Tsavoite garnet stones and one ring. They are beautiful and are good stones. I bought them about two years ago. They are my favorte pieces.
Recently they had true Santa Maria aquamarine. They were beauties. They wanted 300-350 per carat.
I have gotton some good stuff and some very commercial stuff, rubies and emeralds to be exact. Be discerning when you buy. You sound like me when I stated. I have a few medium grade kunzite that I like. I didn''t know top grade was very lavender-pinky with full bodied color. Mine arenice but not top grade. You learn.

Thanks Annette
I think the morganite is too light. They may have darker.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results