shape
carat
color
clarity

More fun at the Chain Mall jeweller.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, a while back I shared the story of me attempting to look at some thick solid gold chains at the local Mall jeweller. The sales assistant told me “Those ones are very very expensive, these ones over here will be in your price range”.
Ok, I was wearing track pants and an $8 T shirt and on my right hand, pointing, I had a simple gold band but do you mind!
So I brought my left hand into view and clunked my designer handbag onto the counter showing my diamond engagement ring, diamond tennis bracelet and diamond watch and told her not to make assumptions because it will cost you sales and I know part of your renumeration depends on sales and left the store.
Im now looking for a solid gold chain for my new acquired Jade pendant. Nothing I have fits the bale properly. This time I was more appropriately attired and I was permitted to view the expensive solid gold chains. However all hell broke loose when I removed my gem scale from my handbag and started to weigh the gold chains. I know Mall jewellery is marked up like 1000% but I want to know how much gold I’m getting for my dollar. Apparently the weight of the chains is “proprietary information”. What the $$@@! I was told they were sold according to assay, chain length and link width. Weight is a secret apparently. I was asked to put away my gem scale as the sales assistant pulled away the tray.
Seriously.
Good thing I hadn’t asked to look at diamonds and also pulled out my loupe and grading gems!

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
So, a while back I shared the story of me attempting to look at some thick solid gold chains at the local Mall jeweller. The sales assistant told me “Those ones are very very expensive, these ones over here will be in your price range”.
Ok, I was wearing track pants and an $8 T shirt and on my right hand, pointing, I had a simple gold band but do you mind!
So I brought my left hand into view and clunked my designer handbag onto the counter showing my diamond engagement ring, diamond tennis bracelet and diamond watch and told her not to make assumptions because it will cost you sales and I know part of your renumeration depends on sales and left the store.
Im now looking for a solid gold chain for my new acquired Jade pendant. Nothing I have fits the bale properly. This time I was more appropriately attired and I was permitted to view the expensive solid gold chains. However all hell broke loose when I removed my gem scale from my handbag and started to weigh the gold chains. I know Mall jewellery is marked up like 1000% but I want to know how much gold I’m getting for my dollar. Apparently the weight of the chains is “proprietary information”. What the $$@@! I was told they were sold according to assay, chain length and link width. Weight is a secret apparently. I was asked to put away my gem scale as the sales assistant pulled away the tray.
Seriously.
Good thing I hadn’t asked to look at diamonds and also pulled out my loupe and grading gems!

You are freaking brilliant!! They probably shi# themselves when they saw your scale!! Now that takes Balls Missy, and I love it!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I avoid jewelry stores for obvious reasons.
But I was in one last year, inquiring about gold chains, also.
I asked about weight, and why the tags weren't marked as such. The sales associate looked at me like I had two heads.
She didn't know why they weren't marked, and didn't seem to think it was a problem!
Back to the pawn shop for me, where the weight of the piece is always stated on the tag!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seriously.

This is utterly ridiculous as you can just measure it once you get home, there's litterally no way for that to be proprietary information.

Maybe they don't want people buying based on which model is the heaviest, but still even then it doesn't quite make sense. Maybe they know that they'll never make a sale if cultures who commonly buy gold designs based on weight, discover how bad the markup is.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It makes me want to fossok through the wardrobe and find my Michel Hill paintwork and see if my gold chain had a weight on it

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is utterly ridiculous as you can just measure it once you get home, there's litterally no way for that to be proprietary information.

Maybe they don't want people buying based on which model is the heaviest, but still even then it doesn't quite make sense. Maybe they know that they'll never make a sale if cultures who commonly buy gold designs based on weight, discover how bad the markup is.

I’m sure it had to do with the fact that other customers were in the shop and she realised I wasn’t the typical customer. I figured she made that up to stop me weighing the chains and, heavens forbid, saying something like
“What, this chain weighs 5 grams and you want over $1,000 - that’s highway robbery”. The other thing she might have worried about, me “testing” the gold.
I’ve seen people do it at auction viewings, they actually “scratch” the metal to ensure it’s not gold plate - leaving scratch’s in the ring or bracelet!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results