shape
carat
color
clarity

More dress help! Summer wedding attire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies (and gents) - I''m hoping this is the right place to post this and that you all can help me. I''m trying to find a really smashing dress to wear to my friend''s wedding this summer (mid-June in Providence, RI). I bought this dress (see pics below) at Ann Taylor but I''m not sure if I''m really loving it or if maybe I could do better. I''ve recently lost a lot of weight (about 50 lbs over the last 14 months or so), and I feel like I haven''t learned to dress my "new" self yet. I''d really appreciate opinions, suggestions, whatever you can provide.

I''m almost wondering if I don''t need something with maybe a wider band under the bust that goes down farther towards the waist, but I''ve not seen a lot of dresses like that. To be honest, I really don''t have a good sense of what''s flattering on me anymore, so I guess that''s partly why I''m posting is for input and opinions.

Please pardon the weird faces in these pics - it was the end of a VERY long day, and we''d just had a giant Indian food dinner so I wasn''t feeling my best...

dressforpvdwedding333.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
here''s a side shot

dressforpvdwedding222.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
and one more from the front. I obviously need different undergarments up top, but that''s probably surmountable...

dressforpvdwedding111.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks stunning on you. Really. I can''t think of a thing I''d change. It''s an elegant dress that looks knock out on your figure.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello AG, great job on the weight loss; you look FAB!!!! I love your dress; I think a lovely light shawl would be a pretty addition. You will look wonderful at the wedding!

eta: I like Baby Monster's suggestion. Also, black shoes would look classy.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely dress but I think you should hem it to the knee or right below. It''s hitting you on the widest part of the calf - not the best look IMO. Will you wear the same shoes?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2008 1:40:21 PM
Author: baby monster
Lovely dress but I think you should hem it to the knee or right below. It''s hitting you on the widest part of the calf - not the best look IMO. Will you wear the same shoes?

Oh, that''s a good point about the calf. I totally missed that (and probably have that problem all over my own wardrobe). I would do different shoes too. And some chandellier earrings. And a wide blingy bracelet. And a Laura Merkin Clutch (I''m still dying for one of those... would it be strange to register for one...lol).

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AmberGretchen,

I think the dress is beautiful and looks great on you. I agree about having it hemmed just a bit.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much you guys for the input
1.gif

Gyspy honey, you're really very sweet - a girl could get embarrassed
12.gif
3.gif

Skippy - you're so nice to say that about the weight loss. I've been really bad about keeping up with the WWT thread, but I do lurk and its helped keep me motivated. I keep meaning to post some updated before and after shots, but I keep forgetting. I'll post one before pic below though, just because you're so sweet about your comments
1.gif
2.gif

baby monster - good point about the length. I was trying to figure out what I didn't like about the dress, and I think that's one thing. You make such an astute observation - that's exactly what's wrong with the length, is that it hits right at the widest part of my calves (I do have what my very dear friend who suffers from the same problem affectionately calls "man calves" hehe
3.gif
but they're not THAT wide). I think its partly because this is a regular size - I'm only 5'3" so I normally buy petites, but this didn't come in a petite. That was probably a good thing at the bust, which can be snug in the petite sizes, but I think it is too long, as you say.

Thanks for chiming in Dixie - I'm glad to know that everyone else sees what Baby monster pointed out about the length too.

I'm bummed that no one liked the shoes
7.gif
I actually got them partly because I thought they were cute with the dress and they are SUPER comfy (there's a killer steep hill between the ceremony and reception).

I'm still unsure about the dress overall. I was thinking of maybe trying to order a brightly-colored J Crew Sophia to see if that would be more flattering. I'll see if I can find a good picture.

before50lbsnov2006.JPG

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, so here''s what I''m thinking - the J Crew Sophia. I can''t decide if the regular silk tricotine or the silk chiffon is better. But they have a bunch of pretty colors I like. Here it is in a dark raspberry pink that I think would be OK on me:

62983_RD5676.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a pretty green I think I might also be able to wear, although I worry with light colors they might wash me out since my skin is so (ridiculously, blindingly) pale
3.gif

62983_GR6576_m_SP08.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
And here''s the silk chiffon, in the color I like best out of all of them. I actually have a blouse in this color that I think is a good color for me, although I could be imagining that. I''ll see if I can find a picture of that...

78054_PR5696_m_SP08.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, found a picture of me in that blouse. Try to ignore all the pictures of my friends in this picture - it was the only one I really have of me in this blouse. But I think it shows how the color looks on me.

BTW, does anyone know how J Crew dress sizes run? I don''t think I''ve ever gotten a dress from bigger up top. I''m asking because the measurements never seem to correspond properly with the actual sizes of the clothes. The Ann Taylor dress is a 2, but there''s no way my bust has the measurement they list on their website for that size (although the rest of me pretty much matches). Of course I can order more than one size and try, but I was hoping someone would at least have some idea for guidance...

tiffgawpartyjan2008.jpg

laine

Brilliant_Rock
My mother just found a JCrew Sophia dress at a discount store for $20. I'm very jealous. But, I'm about a size 2 in most clothes, and around a 34B (or a 32C, but its rare to find one) and the 6 petite she had fit just about perfectly (and hit at the right spot for my 5'4" self). Ok, just grabbed a tape measure--my bust measures at 33 inches. JCrew's page says I'd fit in a 4--I know that would have been better for my waist, but I think it would have been tight on the boobs. I think a 35 inch bust would be a little tight in the size 6 (though probably doable), and no way would any bigger than that fit.

I have to be honest, though I have drooled over the dress for months, and really liked it in person, I wouldn't have paid full price for it, as I didn't love it on me (liked it, just didn't love it, and on a grad student salary, I'd better love a $165 dress). In the middle of the bust, where the fabric crosses over, it didn't lay flat, but sort of pooched out a bit. I think I'm a teeny bit bustier than the dress is made for (though maybe the 4 would have fit better, I don't know). It looks to me like you're a bit bustier than I, so I'm not sure it would be the best dress for you, though I could be way off base...maybe some others who have tried the dress will chime in. If you do try this one, I'd vote for the silk chiffon (what I tried on), I suspect the tricotine would be unforgiving of even the smallest bumps and bulges.

As for the one you have on in your pictures, I agree about the length, but otherwise really like the dress on you. If I try to be super-critical to identify what you don't love, I think the bust looks a little weird from the front. Like maybe the cup/triangle bits are a little wide, which makes the boobs look a little odd. Actually, on second though, it might be that the straps just get too thin, and thats what makes the proportions look a little off. Thats just me being picky though, I think the dress looks great. And congrats on the weight loss--you look fantastic!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad you agree about the hem. I have muscular calves as well, so I try to be careful with length. The blue color dress you posted would be a good option because that color always looks good on brunettes with light skin. The green and red might be harder to carry off unless you get some fake tan.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I am Irish and so I am also extremely pale and while I think the pink might wash you out, with your coloring the green or the blue would be amazing.
I also think the chiffon would be a better way to go. It tends to flow better and be more flattering to most body types. After all, you look great but to celebrate your weight loss you should look smashing. Just my thoughts.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the feedback again you guys.

Laine - that''s really good to know about the dress fit of the J Crew Sophia around the boob area. I''m definitely more busty than most people my size - the rest of my measurements are pretty much right around where yours are - sort of between the 2 and the 4 regular, and the 4 petite pants fit me well. But my bust is much bigger - about a 32 or a 34 D or DD, so that makes shopping for clothes a challenge sometimes.
20.gif
I kind of get what you are saying about the boobs and the straps on the dress I have - I think its a couple of things going wrong. First, I definitely need a different bra to give the right shape under that dress (not one I own, I''d have to buy one). I also think that the extent to which the straps narrow has an unfortunate emphasizing effect on my linebacker shoulders and arms, which for some reason seem to look especially monstrous in that dress (or maybe they really look like that in real life and I''m just in denial...)

Baby monster - thanks for the comments about color. I actually have had good luck with reds and greens in the past - the green especially because my eyes are actually hazel and it brings out the green which I like. But you''re right, at least a little bit of color would probably help.

I did try on a dress with a silhouette similar to the one below at Macys, and it seemed like it would look really good, but unfortunately they didn''t have it in my size so it was a little hard to tell. This is sort of the shape I was envisioning in my head originally.

_5565836.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks brazen irish hussy - I was thinking that about the green and the blue too. The pink is harder to tell. I think I can get away with a little more color than I could if I had lighter hair, but its sometimes hard to know HOW much more, you know? Definitely appreciate the input about the silk chiffon - you and laine are probably right about the bumps and bulges, and spanx in June on the East Coast would be really uncomfortable, so I''d rather avoid that if possible...

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Would you be interested in a dress like this? Am loving it!

Kai Milla.JPG

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
It looks lovely on you, and will probably be a very useful dress for future events... but since you''re looking for a "smashing" dress for the wedding, I think you need to go for color!! I love the raspberry, lime and bright blue dresses you posted... I think any of those colors would be stunning with your complexion. As for sizes, I find that Ann Taylor runs HUGE, especially in dresses... so you may have to go up a size or two at a store like J Crew. Maybe that''s just my weird body type though (very pear).

Congratulations on your weight loss... you look fantastic!! I can''t imagine it will take you too long to get used to dressing your new figure, especially with all the compliments you''ll be getting!
9.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Are you a Banana Republic shopper? I thought this dress was really cute... and the flowy, Grecian style tends to float over bumps (and boobs!) but still emphasize your figure. Plus attention goes right to your narrowest part and pulls eyes away from arms/shoulders. Maybe not quite the dramastic impact you are looking for though......

BRDressAG1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2901054/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014146?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014146&P=6

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2899966/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014146?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014146&P=6

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2921612/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014146?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014146&P=3

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2964430?refsid=213702_1&refcat=0%7e2376776%7e2374327%7e6005464%7e6005511%7e6005548&SourceID=1&SlotID=1&origin=related

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2979271?refsid=9206_9&refcat=0%7e2376776%7e2374325%7e2384392&SourceID=1&SlotID=2&origin=related

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2961228?refsid=211128_2&refcat=0%7e2376776%7e2374325%7e6004967&SourceID=1&SlotID=1&origin=related

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2976509/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014146?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014146&P=4

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2934051/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014146?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014146&P=4

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2853870/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014146?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014146&P=4

I LOVE the original dress. But I don''t think you do... and I wasn''t sure about budget... but I thought these had potential, in one way or another.

2.gif

Let me know if you want to go shopping one day. I''d totally be happy to meet you at the Galleria Nordstroms or Union Square Macys.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
CDN - that''s a GORGEOUS dress
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Unfortunately I''m not sure if I could pull off the one shoulder look - I''ve yet to find a strapless that gives enough support to "the girls." I do love the look though...

SDL - you''re such a sweetie pie
9.gif
Thanks for chiming in - you ladies sure know how to boost a girl''s self esteem
10.gif
12.gif

ephemery - that is a really pretty BR dress. I''ve not been loving a lot of what they''ve been doing there lately, but I sort of go in and out on them - I tend to rotate a lot between them and Ann Taylor and J Crew, depending on the season and what I''m looking for. That''s good to know about the J Crew sizes - I did notice I tended to wear a size or two bigger there than at Ann Taylor or BR, which doesn''t really bother me - I''m still getting over wearing sizes anywhere near that small
20.gif
3.gif
Maybe I''ll see if I can find that dress to try it on. Wonder if it comes in petites? Hmmm...

Gypsy honey - thanks for all the links. I promise I will look them all over carefully. I would love to go shopping - maybe later in the month sometime. Since my one friend who I especially loved to shop with moved away I mostly go with my mom, which is lovely because she''s a sweetie, but I think she''s a little biased and perhaps not as brutally honest as she might be about what looks good. Plus right now she''s so excited/weirded out by the weight loss that she seems to focus a lot more on that than on anything else.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, you officially have wonderful taste and are way better at finding things than I am - I agree, I liked something about a lot of them. Loved the color and the lines and the flowiness of this one, I worry that the pleating at the bust might place too much emphasis there, but worth trying if I can find it probably.

_5442279.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Love love love the front of this one, but the little lace up detailing in the back is weird - it just doesn''t fit with the rest of the dress for me. Maybe it could be removed? I like that its more figure-conscious though - I''ve tried on some of that designer''s stretch satin dresses in the past and they always seemed really flattering.

_5531921.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Love this one for the same reasons - the color is gorgeous too. I love anything purple as it gives me an excuse to wear purple eye makeup which I love because it brings out the green/gold tones in my eyes
1.gif

_5555779.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looove the last dress.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
This one is harder to tell - I did try on a neckline similar to this one and it was super-flattering but I''m worried it might be unforgiving with where the waistline hits...

Yeah, we should definitely try to go shopping in late April sometime - I''d really love to get an honest, more objective opinion than my mom''s, plus I just love a good downtown-shopping girl-date
3.gif

_5547639.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix - the v-neck sheath? I''m loving that one too after look at it more. Its just really simple but chic. Ms. Gypsy has a good eye
9.gif
10.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2008 12:43:53 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
Phoenix - the v-neck sheath? I''m loving that one too after look at it more. Its just really simple but chic. Ms. Gypsy has a good eye
9.gif
10.gif
Yes, the purple V-neck.

Gypsy does have good taste, in everything, it seems!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results