shape
carat
color
clarity

More Design Help? Porcelain Tiles?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'd like to replace out entryway tiles. Center hall colonial. All other floors are wood. Oak. Sort of a honey color. The tiles go into the half bath, so I'd like to find something that would work well for both. The current tiles are very dated square, maroon colored.

I think what I want is something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/MS-Inter...l-Tile-16-sq-ft-case-NHDMARCAF1224P/204491912

Not sure about the color. I will go to an actual tile store, and I am sure I will have a tough time deciding.

The hall is pretty narrow, like a standard hallway size and the bathroom is also quite narrow. There is currently wallpaper in there, which I am in the process of removing. So, those walls are a blank canvas. I would probably paint a light cream color due to small space.

Anyone have this type of porcelain tile? Anything special to consider re: care/maintenance or design?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I was told that porcelain tile is very durable -- better for floors than ceramic. The nice thing is that it feels warmer than a marble floor, which remains cold to the touch. My friend has it all over her new bathroom and loves how it performs. We plan to do a porcelain floor tile very similar to yours, but haven't finalized plans yet. I recommend checking out The Tile Shop, if you have one near you. They carry many kinds of tile in stock, and also have mock bathroom/kitchens/etc. so you can see what different tiles look like incorporated into a design.

I would also advice against Home Depot ceramic, or at least see the tile in store to ensure it's of proper thickness and quality before you make a large purchase. I've heard a lot of negative reviews about durability, and that you actually need to buy more tile because so many packs have broken or chipped tiles. Factor in the discount places like The Tile Shop (expect at least 10-15% off listed prices) and higher quality of tile, and I think the cost isn't much more.

You might also consider going with a warmer beige/tan color for the tile rather than cooler toned brown or grey. Sounds like you and I have similar tones in the foyer (warm, honey oak wood colors), and we put in a warmer marble tile in a sort of creamy / beige / warm color, and it looks great with the warmer wood tones we have in the wood floors and trim. It can be hard to pick tile to complement wood, but choosing warm/warm or cool/cool can be a good starting point.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom has wood look porcelain tile on the first floor. it was special order at Lowe's and much better quality than what Lowe's or Home Depot have in store. If you look at their displays and cartons in the store, the edges are all chipped or even broken. She's had the floor installed for 4 years now with no issues. The special order tile was also installed with minimal grout lines for seamless look because the edges are made for that.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I don't like the idea of using hardwood and wood look tiles together. They look like theyre trying to copy each other, but never quite meeting up. Either or by themselves is fine IMO. I also wouldn't use a greyish tile with honey coloured floors - that might clash too. I'd stay in the beige/brown family.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I wood not utilize tile that looked like wood if it was going to compete with actual wood floors.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's only been a few times that I got tiles off the shelf at HD that they looked good. (the bathroom tiles were cheap and awesome!! they don't sell them anymore which sucks but I got 2 extra boxes!!) Otherwise, its advisable to special order if thats who you're going to go through. Also, I would not go with wood look near a wood floor. I'd so something totally opposite of that.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blingbunny - Thanks for all of the info and the link! I don't get colors. I must be missing the gene, but I still don't get what is the difference btw a warm beige and a cool beige. :confused:

Baby monster, telephone and momhappy - Thanks for your replies. Though I do love the look of porcelain tile made to look like wood, that's not what I'm interested in. When I look at the tile in the customer photos, it doesn't really look wood to me, does it? It's really more that shape that I like very much, rectangle as opposed to squares. I don't think I want a solid color tile, but I also don't want a wood look. Also matte finish.

Is there another material I might consider?

Oh, and we are using a contractor, who will source from a wholesaler, I believe, so not using HD. Just used their site for a quick link.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Arcadian. Just saw your reply. The few times I've gone to HD for anything requiring a contractor, I haven't received any service. As in, no one had time to answer even simple questions b/c they are always so busy, so not too interested in trying again. Do you think laying rectangle tile horizontally -- the wood is also horizontal on both sides of entryway -- is problematic? I ask because you say total opposite.

Suggestions are very welcome.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like rectangular tiles as well, but those do have a bit of a wood grain to them. Maybe that wasn't what was intended though. I'm sure you could find the designer/manufacturer and find a colour/style that you like, no need to change the material.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you mean about the wood grain appearance now. I will say I also really prefer grey tiles, in this rectangle, anyway, which doesn't seem to be a favorable choice given the existing wood. Sigh.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said its a hall right? so you're doing the entire hall? If your wood tile bumps against real wood flooring, I think it may look a bit odd, which is what I meant by doing the opposite. I would do a tile that looks like tile, instead of trying to replicate the wood. The only other thing I will add to that is if you're doing white or light colored grout in a heavy traffic area, reconsider.

I admittedly love our HD here. Anytime I had to special order anything its never been an issue, but I think its more the store employees you know? In my case I WAS our tile guy...lol When we did the addition to our house, I did all the flooring (wood and tile) + the shower and vanity.

BTW what style is your house? I'm just nosy :tongue:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you look at them in person notice if they are strictly "floor" or "floor and wall" tile. Last time I shopped the "floor" tiles weren't as slick as the others, which I preferred for safety. Also, once your GC gives you the name of the tile wholesaler he uses call ahead to the showroom and ask which consultant is best with colors, esp identifying undertones. I've had good luck with this approach and the first thing I tell them is "I don't like X or Y undertones and I have trouble seeing them so be sure to let me know if I've selected any tiles with those tones". Have fun! I love tile shopping.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would recommend looking at Emser tiles. Hopefully you have one of their showrooms near you. Their tiles are gorgeous and high quality and they make a lot of them! Many choices.

I used them in my bathroom remodel a few years back.
I put their high gloss 12x24 Pietre del Nord porcelain in Alaska, on my bathroom walls, and the matching unglazed 12x12 on the floor (didn't want to kill myself slipping). I love that the cuts are pretty since the color is through the body of the tile.

www.emser.com

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian - It's a center hall colonial. Yes, the entire hall. Currently, the same tile is in hall and half bath, so I just assumed do the same, so this new tile will be in half bath too. Thoughts? I was wondering if we might lay the tile vertically, instead of horizontally, but probably not, sort of a passing thought, I guess. That's impressive that you handled all of that installation yourself! We are typically DIYers, but at an incredibly slow pace, and there are a number of other unfinished projects underway. I just want this done!

kgizo - Thanks for the shopping tip! I will try that.

ksinger - Nice to see you here! What a great site. I will continue browsing, but unfortunately, they are not in my area, either showroom or retailer.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Loves Vintage|1455046736|3988970 said:
Blingbunny - Thanks for all of the info and the link! I don't get colors. I must be missing the gene, but I still don't get what is the difference btw a warm beige and a cool beige. :confused:

Baby monster, telephone and momhappy - Thanks for your replies. Though I do love the look of porcelain tile made to look like wood, that's not what I'm interested in. When I look at the tile in the customer photos, it doesn't really look wood to me, does it? It's really more that shape that I like very much, rectangle as opposed to squares. I don't think I want a solid color tile, but I also don't want a wood look. Also matte finish.

Is there another material I might consider?

By warm, I meant that the colors you linked to looked cooler and more grey. You might look at something warmer with swirls of beige - something like in this picture. It's marble, but just to give you an idea of color:

http://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/481147720475eaae_4-3937/modern-wall-and-floor-tile.jpg

You asked about another material that offers color variation and a matte finish - you might consider travertine? Some people hate it, but a lot of people also really love it.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have taupe-colored subtle wood grain porcelain tile (probably 12 x 24) in the entry foyer of my weekend house which has honey-colored hardwood elsewhere. It looks fabulous. One doesn't look like it's mimicking the other because they are very different in appearance and color, and I'd make the same choice again without hesitation. I don't have the specific tile you're looking at, but the concept actually works quite well. I have a really nice jute rug in a herringbone pattern at the door and everything ties in really well. So if that's the look you like, I say go for it!

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We have tile throughout most of our house. It was laid over a wood subfloor, and as it turns out, tile is not supposed to be laid over wood, but concrete backerboard. Our tiles have been bubbling, cracking and breaking away from the walls. All of them have to be replaced. They bubbled so much that we couldn't open doors anymore.

I also find that the grout, especially in high traffic areas is very hard to clean. The bumps and so forth in some tiles (ours are smooth, but our last house they were a slate look) are impossible to clean.

Finding a good flooring material is really tough. They all have their cons, and as we have been going through trying to find a new floor material I feel like there are no good options.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rainwood - I'd love it if you posted a photo, if you were so inclined.

BeekeeperBetty - (love your name by the way!) - Let us know what you decided. I haven't been too enthusiastic about looking seriously yet.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1455391402|3990595 said:

I looked, but don't seem to have one. I'll take one next time I'm over there. It may be a few weeks as I don't go over as often winter.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
rainwood said:
I have taupe-colored subtle wood grain porcelain tile (probably 12 x 24) in the entry foyer of my weekend house which has honey-colored hardwood elsewhere. It looks fabulous. One doesn't look like it's mimicking the other because they are very different in appearance and color, and I'd make the same choice again without hesitation. I don't have the specific tile you're looking at, but the concept actually works quite well. I have a really nice jute rug in a herringbone pattern at the door and everything ties in really well. So if that's the look you like, I say go for it!

I was going to suggest wood grain porcelain tile as well! I think it looks great! I'm looking at it to replace the wood flooring in our kitchen/laundry area--the wood floors were unfortunately water damaged before we bought the house and they're all warped and distressed. I thought the tile would be nice because it wood look similar to the rest of the floors in the house, without having to match exactly, plus I like how durable it is. Seems perfect for a high-traffic area with lots of wear and tear!

This website has some good pictures of different styles/colors: http://www.savonatile.com/tile-collections/wood-grain-tiles

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1455041835|3988908 said:
Personally, I don't like the idea of using hardwood and wood look tiles together. They look like theyre trying to copy each other, but never quite meeting up. Either or by themselves is fine IMO. I also wouldn't use a greyish tile with honey coloured floors - that might clash too. I'd stay in the beige/brown family.
Ditto. What about a beautiful natural stone or a slate with los of rusts, browns and greens?

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1455391402|3990595 said:

BeekeeperBetty - (love your name by the way!) - Let us know what you decided. I haven't been too enthusiastic about looking seriously yet.
I keep bees, so a name choice was easy! Thanks!

I'm thinking we're going to go with reclaimed endgrain wood with a waterproof marine epoxy for the floors. We have kids and pets, so we need something that can pretty much survive the apocalypse. From what I understand, some streets on the East Coast were paved with end grain wood and are still kicking 100+ years later. The major problems are sourcing the material, and how labor intensive the install is. And of course cost. But, crossing fingers, we will only have to do this once.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results