shape
carat
color
clarity

Montana Sapphire E-Ring Help?

CirceofAeaea

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

My SO and I are looking into engagement rings and have narrowed down the search to Montana sapphires. I've been lurking on these boards for a while and have learned a lot, but it would be great to hear any advice, opinions, or recommendations you all have with what I'm thinking of!

First option, this ring as-is:
anuevajewelry_IMG_4457_2000x.jpg

Price: $6300
Center stone: 1.99ct; 7.4mm
Video:

Second option, a custom-made diamond halo ring with one of these sapphires:
Video of all 4:
From base of finger up:
Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 2.23.30 PM.png
Price: $2300
Size: 1.83ct, 7mm x 4.8mm

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 2.25.09 PM.png
Price: $2300
Size: 1.8ct; 7.2mm x 4.8mm

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 2.26.51 PM.png
Price: $3400
Size: 1.96ct; 7.3mm x 4.8mm

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 2.28.15 PM.png
Price: $2500
Size: 1.66ct; 7.1mm x 4.6mm

I love the first ring/stone, particularly that strip of sea green in the middle. My biggest reservation is the price; I know Montana sapphires are quite popular right now, but is that price reasonable for, as per the jeweler, a precision cut and very color-saturated and high-clarity stone?

For the four loose, I'm leaning towards the middle two, but am worried that the inclusion on the third from the bottom will be distracting and that the parti one below maybe looks too cloudy?

Lastly, I'm driving past Montana sapphire mining country in a couple of weeks and could just wait to check out things there; any recommendations for Montana sellers?

Apologies for the long post, just trying to lay all I have out there -- I'd be happy to hear any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you!

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
What does the seller say about the first? Unheated, clarity, report?

The color is stunning on the ring, but the price really depends on if it's unheated.

Teal is an in demand color for a trending stone, so that will see another layer of premium $.

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really really like the First Option, the as-is Montana sapphire ring ... I think it is an absolutely gorgeous Montana sapphire in terms of color and cut and size, and set to advantage in a beautiful classic yet unique setting.

At first blush, I have to admit I think $6300 seems a bit on the high side. Does the vendor have any representations/laboratory reports indicating the stone is unheated? What is the carat weight and color/clarity of the diamond melee?

Still, when it comes to sapphire, color is everything ... have you seen the ring in person? If not, is there a return period so you could see it in person in different lighting environments? Montana sapphires are notoriously shifty and it would be great to confirm the color in the photo and video is the color you see most of the time in most of your environments. If the sapphire is as pretty and saturated as the photo/video suggests, it could command a $3500-$5000 price in today's market. I do really love the oval halo design. The setting cost really hinges on the quality of the construction and finish, and the diamond melee quality and carat weight. Something else you could get a better handle on, if you're able to examine it in person.

The other sapphires you posted don't appeal to me as much as the sapphire in the ring (I'd throw the 2nd & 3rd right out of consideration, but the 1st and 4th have potential).

Just another opinion to toss your way!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I recently sent out a montana sapphire for setting. I would caution that (at least in my experience) the stone looks drastically different colors in different light situations, so make sure to account for that!

20200815_140114.jpg

20200514_184033.jpg

20200514_154332.jpg

This is the same stone. Also, in one of the pics it looks teal- there is NO teal in person (which is what I personally wanted, I only wanted the gray blue, no green.)

Attachments

• 20200514_184135.jpg
    20200514_184135.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 51

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I really really like the First Option, the as-is Montana sapphire ring ... I think it is an absolutely gorgeous Montana sapphire in terms of color and cut and size, and set to advantage in a beautiful classic yet unique setting.

At first blush, I have to admit I think $6300 seems a bit on the high side. Does the vendor have any representations/laboratory reports indicating the stone is unheated? What is the carat weight and color/clarity of the diamond melee?

Still, when it comes to sapphire, color is everything ... have you seen the ring in person? If not, is there a return period so you could see it in person in different lighting environments? Montana sapphires are notoriously shifty and it would be great to confirm the color in the photo and video is the color you see most of the time in most of your environments. If the sapphire is as pretty and saturated as the photo/video suggests, it could command a $3500-$5000 price in today's market. I do really love the oval halo design. The setting cost really hinges on the quality of the construction and finish, and the diamond melee quality and carat weight. Something else you could get a better handle on, if you're able to examine it in person.

The other sapphires you posted don't appeal to me as much as the sapphire in the ring (I'd throw the 2nd & 3rd right out of consideration, but the 1st and 4th have potential).

Just another opinion to toss your way!

You posted this just as I was making my recommendation on color and lighting too! :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto on first option depending on more info. It’s gorgeous!

CirceofAeaea

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the very helpful feedback!!

To answer some questions:

All the sapphires (including in the ring) are heated.

I've asked the jeweler about specs on the melee stones, as all the description said was "white and clean"; my estimation based on diameter (1mm east/west to 2mm north/south, I think) is probably a little over 0.25 carats. I'll let you all know when I hear back more.

I've only very rarely seen GIA reports for a sapphire from Anueva, they typically seem to describe the stone in a paragraph or so in (what reads to me as) non-technical terms. Would it be a good idea to ask them for one (or a more technical breakdown)?

Good points about the color -- both it being probably the most popular (=$$$) and potentially looking a lot different in person. I know it's no substitute for in-person, but I asked the jeweler if and how the color shifts in different lighting, just to get some idea. Unfortunately, seeing it in the studio is likely not feasible (far from local), but there does seem to be an option for return as long as I don't request a resizing, so I'm going to talk to my SO about that. I think I'll also ask for some closer videos of the first and fourth stones from Earth's Treasury to see how those look (these would also be easier for me to visit).

As a side note, I love your sapphire, Rubymal! It's beautiful and I look forward to seeing it set. It's really useful to see pictures that really demonstrate the moodiness of Montana sapphires, so thank you for attaching those!

I'm happy to hear others appreciate the stone and the setting! I like elongated shapes, but prefer round stones, so this setting was a great thing to stumble upon.

Thanks again for the comments, please share if you have more!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I just bought a montana sapphire for a RHR and I really had to see them in person. The stones I thought would be my favorite definitely weren't. Color can change a lot in different lighting, and I ended up being very picky about cut more so than color (I ended up picking the stone with the best cut over the one that was my preferred color). So if you can afford it, get them all and send some back!

I went through Gemfix and it was a great experience if you want to see some other options.

I think the ring itself is really lovely and if you love it then order that first and see. That would certainly be easier than getting a stone and having it set if you already love the setting as is.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Firstly, super congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

Secondly, I know nothing about Montana Sapphires, but I saw this and thought of you:

To be honest I know it's not the same colour as the ones you are showing here, for you have definitely shown an array of very teal looking sapphires (at least on my phone screen). Also it's a bit smaller. But! It's precision cut and looks so sparkly! (On my phone to get the video I have to click on the bigger picture and then swipe right, can never see the thumbnail for some reason so it's like a hidden video...).

It may not be the correct stone for you but I'm getting the sense that the ones you've demonstrated above are in a range of quality, and that although that ring does look beautiful it also looks like it's quite upmarked in price. Basically it seems like you could do better.

I have no idea if maybe you could perhaps reach out to someone like Gene and see whether he could do a custom order...? Worth a shot?

CirceofAeaea

Rough_Rock
@sydneyatl: ahh yes -- thank you!! I'm just starting Song of Achilles now and am very excited.

@elrohwen: it's funny and telling that your favorites virtually were very different in person; I'm definitely taking your and others' advice and am going to see things in person before going all in on a stone. I'd like something bright and vivid, so you're right, it makes sense to focus on cut. Gemfix would be much easier for me to visit than other the other vendors, so we may try to check them out in person at some point. I also talked with my SO and he's onboard with ordering the ring/other options to see them before deciding just to be sure. Lastly, thank you for sharing another really beautiful sapphire -- I look forward to seeing it set as well!!

@Lykame: thank you for the congratulations! And thank you for sending that beautiful stone over, very sweet of you to think of me and I really appreciate it! It looks so well-cut, and I like having metrics for clarity, brilliance, etc; I've seen some other stones from Gene in older threads and they've all looked top quality. That it's a good idea to reach out with a custom request -- I'm now trying to build up an idea (and gather some photos) of "this is what I want" and "this is what I don't want" to make a request like that more accurate. I think you're right about the ring being priced high -- and of course, we missed a promotional sale that ended earlier this summer, sigh. I'm a little too besotted to give it up totally, so I'm going to keep my eye on it (and maybe try to divine another promotion) while exploring these other options.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
@sydneyatl: ahh yes -- thank you!! I'm just starting Song of Achilles now and am very excited.

@elrohwen: it's funny and telling that your favorites virtually were very different in person; I'm definitely taking your and others' advice and am going to see things in person before going all in on a stone. I'd like something bright and vivid, so you're right, it makes sense to focus on cut. Gemfix would be much easier for me to visit than other the other vendors, so we may try to check them out in person at some point. I also talked with my SO and he's onboard with ordering the ring/other options to see them before deciding just to be sure. Lastly, thank you for sharing another really beautiful sapphire -- I look forward to seeing it set as well!!

@Lykame: thank you for the congratulations! And thank you for sending that beautiful stone over, very sweet of you to think of me and I really appreciate it! It looks so well-cut, and I like having metrics for clarity, brilliance, etc; I've seen some other stones from Gene in older threads and they've all looked top quality. That it's a good idea to reach out with a custom request -- I'm now trying to build up an idea (and gather some photos) of "this is what I want" and "this is what I don't want" to make a request like that more accurate. I think you're right about the ring being priced high -- and of course, we missed a promotional sale that ended earlier this summer, sigh. I'm a little too besotted to give it up totally, so I'm going to keep my eye on it (and maybe try to divine another promotion) while exploring these other options.

The photos of my stone that I posted is actually from Gene, if that helps at all :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Are you open to other vendors and origins? Master cut, blaze n gems, gemfix all have Montanas. Those are just off of the top of my head

there are other vendors who sell gorgeous sapphires from other regions.

the first pick is lovely, but imo does seem too expensive- but if you love it, you love it

I also found earths treasury high on price too...

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I really love the first ring you posted! It's perhaps a tad expensive but perhaps they make take a close offer?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Think you are doing all the right things, investigating your options and really being thoughtful about what you want.

Equally what I wouldn't want is for that ring to be the ring of your dreams and you to forever feel it was the one that got away. There's a thread about that here somewhere, those ones that got away....

Equally sometimes you can be swept up by something and with a bit of reflection you realise there's better....

Good luck! I'm sure this is going to work out for you!

CirceofAeaea

Rough_Rock
Hi all, thank you again for your replies -- they're all very helpful!

Just as an update, talked it over with my partner and we're going to have the first ring shipped to us to see in person. In the meantime, I sent in a few inquiries to vendors mentioned here and elsewhere. If the ring/stone look absolutely perfect in real life (and I love all of its moods), we will likely keep it and call its added expense the cost of time and convenience to end the search there and then, rather than shipping stones in and out, traveling (especially now), etc. Not mentioned before, too, is that I've been looking at rings since the beginning of the year, so it's been a decently long search already! If we don't love it, we'll return and continue with the inquiries I made (and continue looking for more options).

We're also going to check out some Montana sapphires in person in about a week so that I have a better reference for what I like/want in color for when I do see the ring.

To answer some questions/comments, we did try to see if they were open to offers and it didn't seem like it... I think they may have another promotion on Black Friday, but that would be a while to wait for a maybe.

As for Montana sapphires in particular, I know they're inflated in price relative to other locales, but my partner prefers them and is willing to spend more for the connection, as he has family from there (and, as a result, we've both spent a good amount of time there). I've looked into Blaze n gems and gemfix, but will check with Master Cut as well -- thank you!

I'll upload pictures when I receive the ring!

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Fingers crossed you will love it! :)

As far as Montana sapphires being "inflated" in price compared to sapphires from other countries, I don't know that I agree.
Mining in developed countries like the US necessitates higher labor costs, higher operating costs in general, and stricter government regulations. From what I've read, the mining done in Montana aims to be as low impact on the surroundings as possible, with trees being replanted, etc. All that costs money.

The fact that your partner has "roots" there, so to speak, makes it that much more meaningful!

Best of luck! :appl:

CirceofAeaea

Rough_Rock
100% agreed! Supporting businesses/practices that are socially and environmentally ethical is a big priority for both my SO and me, and so Montana sapphires checked a lot of boxes.

With the caveat that I'm no expert and these could have been outliers, I've gotten the feeling that Montana sapphires are going for an added premium right now because they're in vogue. I've seen a couple of older threads or seller webpages with prices lower than what I've seen for comparable specs in the last week. Anyway, such is life -- I'm happy that a more responsible practice is doing well and that people in general are thinking about the ethics of their purchases more!

Thank you for the well wishes, too!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really glad you're getting that ring in to see it in person. You clearly are doing all the right things preparation wise.

Saw this and thought of you:

Guess it's a bit smaller than your other options but I drooled over it...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see the ring when you get it!

I think it's hard to just "inflated'. They are higher now than they were, because they are getting more popular. But that's supply and demand - does it mean that sellers are boosting the cost to more than they're "worth"? I really don't know. And as someone else mentioned there are a lot of overhead costs for mining in the US that are present in other countries. I liked the color of them but was also really drawn to the conflict free/fair trade aspect of it.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I know people have mentioned Gemfix already but just been scrolling through the selection there and it's pretty impressive. I hope you're able to organise to see some of them as a point of comparison against the ring you are getting.

Love this one:

Heat only, and I note it mentions eye clean at eight inches, but it's so pretty!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I too bought a montana sapphire and I love mine. I got mine from Missouri River Sapphire Company. My Montana has a mood of its own. It looks different each day and I love that but please do not buy one without seeing it in person. Also, move them around a lot. The first one I looked at from Gemfix turned black on each end when I moved it around, I could not live with that. Be patient and hold out for the one that makes your heart sing.

CirceofAeaea

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Long delay, but I was finally able to see the ring in person a few days ago and decided to keep it! Unfortunately, I only took some really subpar pictures while I had it (it's now hidden from me and I'm doubly regretting having no good photos to stare at in the meantime...), but I did find some videos from Anueva that I think capture some of its moods well for those who are curious:

This is what it looks like under fluorescent lights:

As you all warned me, color was difficult to capture, but here's my best personal photo (apologies for the fingernails -- I was peeling hatch chiles when it came):

IMG_1029.jpg

It looks like that first video I posted in the OP in bright indirect sunlight and, at its darkest, is a deep teal kind of like this. It never grays out, as I hoped it wouldn't. It flashes blue and teal; the teal strip is almost like a parti coloring, which I really love. The setting seems well-constructed and is very sparkly.

I was able to see some other stones in person (and had an extensive group of ones I liked online) to compare and this stone was definitely my favorite -- but there are so many beautiful stones out there! Case in point those you sent, @Lykame and yours, @lknvrb4. I'm saving them all as inspiration for a pendant or bracelet one day... sigh. Also, @lknvrb4, your whole ring is gorgeous and I went back to your thread to stare at it about 5 separate times. I'll probably go check it out again now.

Agreed, @elrohwen, the demand is there and prices are justified. I also saw you got your ring in -- congrats!! It's such a unique and beautiful take on a classic 3 stone and your sapphire looks perfect in it.

Anyway, thank you all for your help and support!! I'm off to catch up on work I put off while staring at this ring for 3 days.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is the reality on Montana Sapphire rough. This photo shows 3 parcels of rough. I purchased these all around the same time about 9 months ago. All parcels are the same cost. Which parcel is more appealing to you? One parcel is Montana sapphire, the other two are from Madagascar.

SapphireRough.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Probably the most ethically sourced rough are the Lake Baringo sapphires and rubies. These are found on the ground after the rains by the Masai. These stones are always small but very pretty. Impact on the environment about zero.

Lake Baringo.jpg

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Probably the most ethically sourced rough are the Lake Baringo sapphires and rubies. These are found on the ground after the rains by the Masai. These stones are always small but very pretty. Impact on the environment about zero.

Lake Baringo.jpg

Oh I love the color of these!

To the OP, congrats, it is beautiful and I'm glad you love it! I agree those colors of blue and green teals are gorgeous!

eesmom

Shiny_Rock

Lake Baringo.jpg

These are so pretty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results