shape
carat
color
clarity

Money Market? Stocks?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put money into an IRA when I was younger, and have only just now gotten around to look at what exactly it is. It''s not much, but I truly have no interest in it. Most is in a money market. What is that?

Abril

Shiny_Rock
It''s like a savings account with a slightly better interest rate. You shouldn''t lose any value. It may or may not be FDIC-insured.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, thanks! The rest is in a stock that''s quickly losing value. I have much closer to the original amount I put in almost 10 years ago than I should. At one point the stocks had doubled and then some. I''ve never managed it so I guess my parents put it in the money market account a bit ago. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the thing. I guess it can sit in the money market account until I withdraw it without penalty?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The small print seems to say that it''s FDIC insured, not covered by SIPC.

Abril

Shiny_Rock
Yes, it can sit in the money market, but the interest rate barely outpaces inflation. You probably have to wait until you''re 59.5 years old to withdraw it without penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results