shape
carat
color
clarity

Modify a kids book to propose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

06Iced

Rough_Rock
So, this is what I''m thinking for proposing. But, here''s the background first:

There is a book, by Robert Munsch called "I''ll Love you Forever". For those that don''t know it, it''s a kids book that goes thru the life of a mother and her son. (You can find the words to the book here: http://www.rogerknapp.com/inspire/loveforever.htm) Each page ends with the words:

"I''ll love you forever,
I''ll like you for always,
As long as I''m living
my baby you''ll be."

The son gets older, his mother keeps singing that to him, until a point where she gets too old, and he gently rocks her back and forth and sings it in with revised wording "As long as I''m living, my mother you''ll be". At the very end, he sings the same phrase to his own baby daughter.

So, long and short, it''s a cute, sappy story. My girlfriend loves the author, and can''t wait for us to have kids to give them the books. So, this is my idea...

I want to insert a new page in the book, probably at the point in the book after the son leaves home. I will have an artist friend of mine draw up something similar to the pages in the book, with standing behind her, holding her close. I even thought about getting the author of the book to sign at the end, wishing a happy life and all the best (or something like that).

For the wording, I was thinking something like this:

"Well, the son aged and grew, and met a girl who captured his heart. She was everything he had ever dreamed of, and he didn''t know love could exist so strong. She was his everything and he knew that he didn’t ever want a moment apart.
Holding her close, with his arms wrapped around her, he quietly sang to her:
I''ll love you forever,
I''ll like you for always,
As long as I''m living
My Love you''ll be.
Holding back the tear of joy in his eye, he knelt down on one knee, and asked,
“*Insert name here*, will you marry me?” "

(Sorry for the "Insert name here". I''m just cautious if she or one of her friends sees this or something...)

I was thinking about buying her the book ''just for fun, because I saw it'' and read it together with her. So, at the same time she finishes the page, I''d kneel down and propse to her myself.

Anyway, I thought this would be a cute way of doing it, as it''s something that can easily be picked up again and again and relived. Not to mention, reading the story to our children when we put them down to bed.

So, any thoughts on this? Good, bad? Too sappy? Too cheesy? Better wording maybe?

Thanks!

06Iced

Rough_Rock
Hmm... just re-reading my own post there. That "tear of joy" thing might be a little over the top...

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It''s cute and all but the story really focuses on a mother-son relationship and interjecting the ending for her son to find true love is a happy ending that a mother would appreciate but I''m not so sure it is romantic. Of course, that''s just me. You know your gal better than anyone. By the way I love the book and read it many times to my son.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it''d definitely make me cry.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the idea of putting a new page in a book and having an illustration done. But I agree with the fact that it''s a little odd that the book is about mothers/sons even if it is about love. Does he have another book that you could add something to that might not invoke odd thoughts? Even if the book itself isn''t about love?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about The Giving Tree?

That one makes me bawl, too.
39.gif

06Iced

Rough_Rock
...The Paper Bag Princess...?

...maybe not. ;-)

I couldn''t see her saying, "He proposed to me with a book called the Paper Bag Princess!"

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh I LOVE the Giving Tree too!!! Certainly more appropriate than a mother/son thing.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I just tell you that when I was at USC and studying Elementary Ed, our professor brought in that book and we all cried reading it. I gave it to my mother one year and she bawled, and then, when we had our first child, got another copy for us to have an my hubby bawls too! I just mention the TITLE and the tears start.

What a great idea though, and you are pretty sentimental and creative to use the book for your proposal!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i read that book to my son...i love it!!!! i think its a great idea...the book is so sweet and colorful....she''ll love that proposal idea....
30.gif

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 10:16:00 AM
Author: NYCsparkle
i read that book to my son...i love it!!!! i think its a great idea...the book is so sweet and colorful....she''ll love that proposal idea....
30.gif
The giving tree is awesome! Definitely a good idea.

Also this may be a little hokey -- but you could take an exacto knife and cut out a small chamber in the following pages in the book after the page you inserted.... and place the ring in there and glue them together so it creates a sortof pocket. Then put a rubber band around the outside of the book till you''re ready to show it to her! That way you won''t have to fumble around for a box...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I think the idea itself is great and romantic, I''m not sure about the book. I like The Giving Tree, although it''s not about a boy and a girl. There''s a children''s book (small book, red cover) called "I Like You," which is great. I''ve given it to my boyfriend and he loved it. I just looked it up on www.barnesandnoble.com
and found it. It''s really cute! Just another idea. BUt if you''re set on using Munsch''s book because it means something to your girlfriend, that''s very thoughtful too.

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 5:47:04 PM
Author: kev_800

Also this may be a little hokey -- but you could take an exacto knife and cut out a small chamber in the following pages in the book after the page you inserted.... and place the ring in there and glue them together so it creates a sortof pocket. Then put a rubber band around the outside of the book till you're ready to show it to her! That way you won't have to fumble around for a box...
Found this story on the web, and attached a pic of the ring IN a book. The poem on the page is special because of the last 2 lines, as the guy actually made the ring himself. I also attached the link with the story of the ring and proposal.

http://inzane.blog.com/2005/5/

1793845_p.jpg

SBee

Rough_Rock
That''s my mom''s absolute most favorite book EVER! My brother found a hard-cover edition and surprised her with it for Christmas...she cried...

If my stone-cold mother could be affected to that degree, then my personal opinion is that your proposal idea is FANTASTIC!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results