shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing diamonds high and low on colour scale

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I know, basically "do what you like". Nevertheless I'm interested in how you handle it. If you do it why you like it and if not why not.
For example: Studs with colour S and lower (old cuts) with a diamond ring that faces up very white.
Pictures welcome!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
My earrings and three stone ring are G color. My pendant and wedding ring stone (my two largest diamonds) are J’s. I don’t think twice about wearing them together.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I have ST coloured old cut earrings, G-H coloured pendant, H coloured mrb ring.

I don't think it matters. No one is going to see that much colour from a distance, all they see is sparkle :)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
My diamonds colors are literally all over the place.
Pendants range from D (smallest) to K largest. F and H's in-between.
My E-ring is a G.
My earrings are an I
My 5 stone ring is made up of H's and I's.

The biggest difference would be between my G and K as they're also my largest stones, but since they're nowhere near each other, you can't compare and see the difference.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ering is a K,
pendants are appraised, but without a lab cert, both I
earrings are both a G
plus, high color moissanite and cz

I never think about mixing my stones, even on the same finger. It has never bothered me, and if anyone else is looking that closely, they need to step back, they are too close!

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have this issue with diamonds, but I do with sapphires. Some of my blue sapphires are darker than others. My feeling is that rings and bracelets should match each other as closely as possible, and earrings and pendants should match as closely as possible. I don't worry too much if the earrings/pendant don't quite match the rings/bracelet because it's not that noticeable.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After several beers I might consider a D-G center stone with smaller R-Z side stones, but not the other way around.

Lovecarats

Rough_Rock
I don’t care about mixing stones with different colors and grades on different body parts (I.e. earrings, rings and bracelet). However, I won’t mix stones within the same piece of jewelry. So all of my diamonds in a ring are going to to be similar quality because I want everything to look similar on the color scale in that particular face of jewelry. That’s my preference though. YMMV.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I can't post pics as one of the stones is a lab stone, but my 3-stone has an L centre Asscher set with white gold prongs on a yellow gold collet, with two G/H rounds set in white gold. The overall look is very art deco/ vintage and I love it!

Naturally I don't mind mixing colour grades otherwise :D

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My diamonds are all in FGH range, all except for a pair of studs, which are J. Even though I can’t see them when I’m wearing it, the J bothers me, and I want to upgrade a few colors up to math the rest of my diamonds. My daughter is fine with the J studs, so I may just give them to her.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Now that I have one of my solitaire rings in E and my studs in E, I am bothered by my emerald cut (pendant) in H and my other solitaire ring in H. There is an obvious, noticeable disparity. I also have a solitaire in a pendant that is G but it has Med blue fluorescence and rivals my Es, especially as a pendant.

I’m not bothered by mixing metals or gold colours, and I’m not colour sensitive, so mixing stone colours doesn’t bother me much. Most of my diamond jewelry is in the H-J range, and it all looks the same colour to me. Since I’m not engaged the only solitaire jewelry I wear on a daily basis is studs, though, so maybe that’s different. I have one stone which is a much lower (ungraded, so I’m not sure, but I doubt it is lighter than S/T) colour that I haven’t set yet but I plan to turn into a daily RHR. I’m also debating on getting a pendant for myself but again I’m pretty colour agnostic and I’d be happy to go to a “cape colour”, like an M, and wear it with my I studs.

S

sparklegirl1414

I have a promise ring that is an I and an anniversary band that is a GH and I'm scared to wear my high e color diamond with it. They are also white gold not yellow gold haha

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have E studs and wear I through L engagement rings and diamond pendants. I don't think anyone pays that much attention to my jewelry.

I would worry at a PS convention :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have E studs and wear I through L engagement rings and diamond pendants. I don't think anyone pays that much attention to my jewelry.

I would worry at a PS convention :)

Haha exactly.

Earrings do not have to be the same color as rings because they are far away from each other and no one is going to notice (except at a PS convention as @MMtwo wisely points out :lol: ).

I wouldn't worry. I would do what makes you happy. Mixing and matching when we are talking about diamonds IMO it's all good. :love:

Bling it up girl!

blingitup.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Studs with colour S and lower (old cuts) with a diamond ring that faces up very white.
Pictures welcome!

I think this would be a gorgeous option if the old cuts have gorgeous faceting. I definitely think you can go warm with old cut earrings and whiter for your ER and they will look fabulous. Your ears are far enough from your hands that really all people will notice is beautiful bling.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think they would go together perfectly. They are far enough apart that it would not be something anyone would see. I do not have issue with different colored diamonds together though. We need pictures :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have H studs and rings that are EGL J and GIA M and it has never even entered my mind to be concerned about it. They're far apart and I'm sure nobody even notices.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they would go together perfectly. They are far enough apart that it would not be something anyone would see. I do not have issue with different colored diamonds together though. We need pictures :)

I second this request please. :bigsmile:

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I'm happy to come back with pictures. It took me a while, since work is very busy at the moment. But here you go: I was the lucky one who could get @HS4S_2 's wonderful "soleil" OEC stones (thank you so, so much!). It was a dear wish of mine to IMG_5604.jpeg have old cut studs in the 2ctw range and they are so perfect! The stones made their way quite fast all the way to Europe and I had them set in rose gold, which is my favourite and also I wanted to leave them the character of the setting they were in before (it was yg). I was worried first that they would not match the ring I wear most - the so imperfect three-stone I love a lot. It's I colour, but since it has very, very strong fluorescence it faces up whiter. But oh dear - they play together just wonderful!
On their own:
IMG_5517.jpeg

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm happy to come back with pictures. It took me a while, since work is very busy at the moment. But here you go: I was the lucky one who could get @HS4S_2 's wonderful "soleil" OEC stones (thank you so, so much!). It was a dear wish of mine to IMG_5604.jpeg have old cut studs in the 2ctw range and they are so perfect! The stones made their way quite fast all the way to Europe and I had them set in rose gold, which is my favourite and also I wanted to leave them the character of the setting they were in before (it was yg). I was worried first that they would not match the ring I wear most - the so imperfect three-stone I love a lot. It's I colour, but since it has very, very strong fluorescence it faces up whiter. But oh dear - they play together just wonderful!
On their own:
IMG_5517.jpeg

Dreamy. They look lovely together. All anyone will see is blingy goodness.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
On their own:
IMG_5517.jpeg

mmmmm, look at those dreamy, warm studs <3 Your ring is equally beautiful, but those studs draw the eye away and play diva. I'm in love.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On their own:
IMG_5517.jpeg

I am so happy you got these stones. I love how you set them and I love that you love them. It was meant to be. I think they look beautiful with your ring.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is an interesting topic. I would describe myself as color sensitive but only in that I can perceive the slight differences in color grades, I do not object to lower colors. My AV oval is a AGS G and I can definitely detect the color in that. I also have a tennis bracelet which is around F/G. I have just bought an antique cushion which is an GIA N. My feeling is that the difference between the two will irritate me and I will not end up wearing one on each hand or my tennis bracelet with the cushion. I intend to have an eternity made with lower color stones as I don’t relish the idea of higher color with the N. When the cushion comes I will post up pictures. I may end up feeling differently. I agree with others that a pendant/earrings would be different.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are beautiful! Clearly you can wear anything that you think looks good together! But now I think it would be wonderful if you could find an antique stone in a lower color to set in a rose gold ring to wear with your studs!!!

On their own:
IMG_5517.jpeg

The studs look great but the family shot with the ring is just swoon!

S

sparklegirl1414

On their own:
IMG_5517.jpeg

I’m swooning they look great together :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results