shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing Costume and Fine Jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I love big, bold, bright, funky costume pieces, but most of my real jewelry is small and delicate, so I'm always wondering if it's OK to mix. Last week I was hunting around for a pink sapphire or rose gold stacking ring - and then I found the perfect one yesterday while randomly shopping at Gordman's. It's pink "crystals" in sterling for $10...DH kidded me for stacking it with my diamond w-band and yellow sapphire stacking band, but I'm pretty happy with the find and like being able to play with a different look.

So what do you think? Wearing a mix of costume and fine pieces - is it a do or a don't?

If it's a do, which pieces do you mix? If it's a don't, what especially shouldn't be mixed?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t think it''s a question of real vs. costume so much as it is a question of stylistic disparity: what you''re describing sounds like it should go together very well! And, until I can afford a real 12 ct. pear pendant, well ... I''ll make do with alternatives.
41.gif
But I wouldn''t, for example, mix a 1940''s gilt and paste brooch with a modest set of diamond studs ... too jarring.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...I don''t know if I''d put a "real" ring next to a "not so real ring" - to me that would be like implying that the "not so real one" was real...if that makes sense?

But I could see wearing a costume pendant while wearing a real ring, etc. Something about having them right next to each other seems odd to me? But I don''t have much experience and it sounds lovely....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results