shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing and Matching Metals Help!

Jensst

Rough_Rock
Hi Ladies!

I need your help! This is my first time on here and can't wait to get your feedback.

I'm changing my engagement ring to a 2ct solitaire on a simple band. Love the classic look and the ability to get different bands. I currently have a platinum wedding band with little diamonds in a channel setting (pave right?). I was thinking it would be fun to mix and match and have the engagement ring metal in yellow gold. Part of me still wonders if I should just stick with all platinum for both rings.

If anyone has a yellow gold engagement ring mixed with a platinum wedding band I'd love to see pictures! I'd also love your opinion about mixing and matching this way! :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strictly personal preference but there are lots of folks that mix and match. Are you able to go to a store and try on a yellow gold solitaire with your band to see if you like the look?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
You can wear whatever you want, mix and match to your heart's content. The only thing, your engagement ring won't match your wedding ring, so they won't look like a set. I agree that you should go to a jewelry store and try on a few rings, see if you like the look.

Btw, channel setting is not the same as pave.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1442626609|3929385 said:
You can wear whatever you want, mix and match to your heart's content. The only thing, your engagement ring won't match your wedding ring, so they won't look like a set. I agree that you should go to a jewelry store and try on a few rings, see if you like the look.

Btw, channel setting is not the same as pave.

+ 1

Also, check out this thread to give you some ideas..... :wavey:
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/show-me-stacked-wedding-rings-t196354-210.html

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to stack my rings and I like to mix white and yellow or white and rose. i agree it is a personal preference. Go to a shop and try on a variety of rings and see what you like.

_34478.jpg

img_9374.jpg

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Lookinagain|1442645353|3929432 said:
I love to stack my rings and I like to mix white and yellow or white and rose. i agree it is a personal preference. Go to a shop and try on a variety of rings and see what you like.

Your stack is gorgeous! :appl:

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Lookinginagain, I love that bezel diamond band! Who made it?! :love:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do whatever pleases you =) I don't have a picture (must get one!) but my younger sister got engaged with a vintage princess cut that has pave shoulders in platinum. She loved the vintage look (her ring was a complete surprise) & started the hunt for a vintage wedding band. Money was tight for them back then & she was looking at spending a fair few hundred £££, so I offered her my grandmothers 22ct yellow gold band from 1935. I had worn this band constantly from the age of 16 when my mother passed it to me, but I felt it was the right thing to do to A. save them money & B. My grandmother died before my sister was born so they never met & I felt it would give them a lovely connection.

Her wedding set looks beautiful. It's quirky & unique & very special to her, although I do have moments of regret at passing her the ring. Selfishness aside, she often gets compliments as her rings are striking due to the colour difference :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My set is a mixed metal set. I love the look. I think you need 3 bands at least to really give it the "mixed metal" look vs an "eclectic" look.

Plain yg soli+plat eternity+ textured yg band sounds pretty great to me

niter

Rough_Rock
I am big fan of mixing metal--I say this with much chagrin because when I was raised with silly notions like brown shoes and black purses and different metals ought not be mixed. I am a big fan of using metal to enhance the best features of both the stone and the person's skin tone. For example, my skin tone is well suited to yellow gold and thus my wedding band and band of my e-ring are yellow gold while the gallery is and the diamonds are set into white gold (one day the plan is to convert it to platinum).

Also, I think mixing metal can look very contemporary and fresh. I would love to have pieces that mix both metals for the purpose of mixing metals. My RHR is all platinum and I love that I now have a ring of each metal tone.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Clearly Cartier has had a lot of success with mixed metals (tri-color rolling ring).

The rule I've heard is that your mixed metals need to be next to each other. You can stack rings and bracelets, for example, but white gold earrings with a yellow gold necklace simply looks like you dressed in the dark.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilysweet|1442684659|3929549 said:
Lookinginagain, I love that bezel diamond band! Who made it?! :love:

Its an inexpensive band I bought preloved on loupe troop. I don't know who made it but I think a lot of folks make bands like it.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I have the opposite mix - platinum engagement ring and tricolor trinity wedding band in 18k.

Since my wedder is all 3 colors I can mix whatever with it - my wedding present is on its way from Ritani and is a rose gold 5 stone. My upgrade is a yellow gold 3 stone as I'm getting tired of platinum and white everywhere.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thought is to have the engagement ring in all platinum and then you can use many different kinds of bands with it. If you make the e-ring yg, then that will limit you more with the bands you can wear.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a personal preference. I personally think different colors of metal look great together. As others suggested go try on some combinations on at a local jewelers.

Jensst

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone this is super helpful! If anyone had any yellow gold and silver combos they can share I would love to see more pictures to help me decide!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I used to think I was a strictly white gold kind of person (my original engagement ring and wedding band are 18k white gold), but then I got my 5-stone with OECs and the vintage setting has platinum prongs and a yellow gold shank--and I love it! And my upgrade OEC is currently set in a two tone rose/white gold setting, and I also think it looks good with my white gold bands. I'll attach photos of both rings stacked with my wedding band, bezel band, and engraved white gold band. I will say that I think what helps these look good together is that both settings that have the colored gold also have white gold heads/prongs, and the colored gold is the shank only, like this: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-1022.htm I think having a touch of platinum or white gold with the yellow gold setting would be good (and many yellow gold settings have a white gold or platinum head by default, so that the colored gold doesn't make the diamond look yellow).

I say: do what you love, mixing metals can look absolutely lovely. Can't wait to see what you decide on!

_34559.jpg

img_9400.jpg

img_9405.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think mixing metals looks great! And lookinagain and rubybeth's sets are perfect examples! :love: Gorgeous sets ladies! :clap:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there! As per my earlier post in this thread, here is a pic i snapped today of my little sisters wedding rings...

img_20150922_0.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I sometimes wear this band with my ering.

_385.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's how I wear mine. Typically its only the Trinity, but depending on how fat my fingers are, sometimes I need more, sometimes less

img_20150923_114951.jpg

img_20150923_114522.jpg

img_20150923_114904.jpg

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a pic of one of the ways that I mix metals-

One day I hope to add a Rose Gold or Yellow Gold CVB Band that has French Cut Baguettes to my set.

img_9427.jpg

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mix my metal colors all-the-time! I love the look. Please don't feel locked into anything.

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
I must say this thread is quite scrumptious- all of these mixed metal stacks are gorgeous!! You could also get a solitaire with a yellow gold band and platinum head - this would make it easier to mix and match with different metals.

Edited to add: There are also some mixed metal stacks in this stackers thread (a couple of which are already posted here): [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-the-different-ways-you-wear-stack-your-solitaire.215984/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-the-different-ways-you-wear-stack-your-solitaire.215984/[/URL]

Jensst

Rough_Rock
These examples are great! PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING!

This might sound silly, but I went to a few jewelry stores and there werent too many options to try on. It was getting hard for me to visualize what a 2ct stone might look like in yellow gold setting against my platinum wedding band. So I borrowed a friend's gold ring with silver prongs so I could get a true visual. It's 1.88ct - to the eye that would be really close to a 2ct right?

@nycspring you're totally right! The silver/platinum setting is really lovely. :)

Since all of you have been so helpful can you give me your thoughts on my friend's ring before I make the investment? Be honest! Also, please let me know what you think about 4 vs 6 prongs!

Thanks again!

_34121.jpg

_34171.jpg

_34574.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is how I wear mine sometimes. I worry that my stone gets lost though. image_3879.jpg

Jensst

Rough_Rock
nycspring|1443033030|3930945 said:
I must say this thread is quite scrumptious- all of these mixed metal stacks are gorgeous!! You could also get a solitaire with a yellow gold band and platinum head - this would make it easier to mix and match with different metals.

Edited to add: There are also some mixed metal stacks in this stackers thread (a couple of which are already posted here): [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-the-different-ways-you-wear-stack-your-solitaire.215984/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-the-different-ways-you-wear-stack-your-solitaire.215984/[/URL]

@nycspring - the diamond I would get would also be a 2.01ct. In your pictures it looks so much larger! Is it because of the way it's set?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love six prongs for a solitaire setting - I think it makes the stone appear larger. Finger size also has a lot to do with how large a particular size stone looks.

htabby

Rough_Rock
Beautiful rings ladies - I love love love the look of mixing metals and sets that aren't so matchy matchy. My ering is a yellow sapphire in white gold but I wear it with a thin 1.5 mm yellow gold band. I absolutely love yellow gold bands and want to find a vintage style one as well. Sometimes, I add my right hand eternity band to the mix but mostly I just wear my ering and yellow gold band together.

mix_metal_1.jpg mix_metal_2.jpg

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
My diamond always looks bigger in pictures than real life! Depending on how close the picture is taken, the diamond can look even larger. Also- it might be my finger size, which is a little smaller than average (size 4). The setting is a big factor as well- a thin band, medium height and 6 prongs definitely makes a diamond appear larger, in my opinion. I used to have a very low set, 4 prong solitaire with pave for the same diamond, and my diamond does look bigger after I reset it to the Vatche U-113 6 prong, medium height setting. Attached is a photo comparison that I put together!

compare_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results