shape
carat
color
clarity

Miss Suri Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
From the Superficial:

In the shocker of all shockers, Tom Cruise isn't the linguistic expert he claims to be. Despite telling everybody Suri means "princess" in Hebrew, Hebrew linguists have confirmed that it doesn't.

Suri has only two meanings - one is a person from Syria and the other "go away" when addressed to a female. Hebrew expert Jonathan Went says, "I think it's fair to say they have made a mistake here. There are variations of the way the Hebrew name for princess is spelt but I have never seen it this way." Suri can also be translated into a Hindi boy's name, and it also means "pointy nose" in some Indian dialects and "pickpocket" in Japanese.

The crazy bastard named his daughter "pointy nosed pickpocket." I take back whatever I said about Tom Cruise, because only a genius of maniacal proportions could come up with that. I just wonder how he's gonna top it. He's gonna have to name his next kid "degenerate puppy killer" or something.

It just gets worse and worse...

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
God, isn't The Superficial a fabulous site?!? I read it several times a week, whenever I am cackling away at home, my husband always looks over and says "Superficial?" and I can just nod at him, because at that point I am weak from laughter.

BTW Blenheim, how are you feeling after your surgery??

I wish you well,

Bridget

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
as an Arabic student I can confirm the "Syrian one"

as an Arabic student I can also say that its frequently just "sorry" with an Arabic accent when people are talking to foreigners! (like ''surry'' with a rolled R)

what a dullard, seriously.... (goes and cuddles the Cruise from Risky Business while ignoring the present one)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol i love the superficial...i am always reading greg snippets off it when he is trying to read his WSJ or some other more intelligent piece.
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
All I get from the name is Syracuse. Someone posted that yesteday and I can''t get it out of my head. Poor kid''s going to get that a lot methinks.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was confused about Suri=princess because my name is Sarah and I know for a FACT it means princess in hebrew but I thought maybe it was another variation. How hysterical if they are right!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I did hebrew for two ys and here is what I thought:

Sarai is the old variant on Sarah, meaning princess...so I thought perhaps they did Sarai as Suri and misspelled it? Hebrew spelling is phonetic in English anyway...

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I had forgotten about the phonetic spelling. Hopefully that''s the case here...

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
for that kids sake I sure hope so. It just seems phony to me to give your child an ethnic name when you aren''t of that ethnicity (or they are) in some way.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2006 1:54:47 PM
Author: kaleigh
All I get from the name is Syracuse. Someone posted that yesteday and I can''t get it out of my head. Poor kid''s going to get that a lot methinks.

well, I think Tom is from Syracuse, so maybe that is the real reason! hahaha... Tom Cruise, such a bright one.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I heard on the radio that L.Ron Hubbard was supposedly (again, hearsay- anyone can nip in on this) born in the English town of Surrey. Whaddya think?

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2006 4:48:18 PM
Author: AmberWaves
I heard on the radio that L.Ron Hubbard was supposedly (again, hearsay- anyone can nip in on this) born in the English town of Surrey. Whaddya think?
I heard the same thing. Quite a co-winky-dink
41.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmmm.....
emotion-40.gif

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock

Surrey is not a town, it''s a county. L. Ron Hubbard''s home is/was in East Grinstead (which is a town), in Surrey.

Tom Cruise''s publicist did say that Suri was a sort of cross between the Hebrew for princess, and the Persian for red rose. I don''t think Cruise meant anyone to get obsessive about translating it. It''s just a pretentious Hollywood name.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
"Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry..."
It's been in my head since the name was announced!
ETA: That would be the song from Oklahoma if anyone was wondering!

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2006 3:31:26 PM
Author: icekid
Date: 4/21/2006 1:54:47 PM

Author: kaleigh

well, I think Tom is from Syracuse, so maybe that is the real reason! hahaha... Tom Cruise, such a bright one.

That was actually my first thought, too. I hope I wasn''t right.
20.gif

lilmaria

Shiny_Rock
I thought of missouri cruise when I read the topic sentence. He''s too weird for me. Katie seemed like a nice, quiet girl even though she left kris kline, but i dont know about these 2, well 3 i guess

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
JERUSALEM (Reuters) -- Suri, the name chosen by Hollywood couple Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes for their newborn daughter, is raising more than its share of interest in Israel.

It means "get out of here" in the local language, Hebrew.

News of the naming puzzled even those Israelis who thought they had seen it all after pop diva Madonna turned the ancient Jewish mystical tradition Kabbalah into a faith for the famous.

"I really don''t know what they were thinking when they chose this name. It''s a term that denotes expulsion, like ''Get out of here''," said Gideon Goldenberg, a linguistics professor at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. "It''s pretty blunt."

Yaron London, a cultural commentator for Israel''s Channel 10 television, had this rhetorical question for Suri''s proud parents: "Why didn''t you just go back to your ancestors'' language, and call the kid ''Scram Cruise''?"

A Cruise family spokesman said last week that Suri has its origins in ancient Hebrew, as a variant on Sarah, the biblical matriarch. But that pronunciation is all but unknown in Israel.

There are exceptions. Jerusalem journalist Surie Ackerman said her name was a formalized version of a nickname given by fellow ultra-Orthodox Jews in her native United States.

"It sounds strange to me that a non-Jewish, Scientology baby should be called Suri," Ackerman said, referring to the alternative church which counts Cruise among its devotees.

"But there are plenty of strange names in the world."

And there are plenty of alternative meanings for Suri.

It''s also a Nubian tribe, the word for "rose" in Persian, "sun" in Sanskrit and a term for a form of Alpaca''s wool.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results