shape
carat
color
clarity

Miss Muffin

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd not heard of chimera in cats until you mentioned it. I really don't know if she is or not. Based on reading, it seems the only way to know for sure is a DNA test. Are there other non-tests that would indicate such?

My only knowledge of chimerism is with people. I first heard of it watching CSI years ago, the story was of a set of twins, one of which turned out to be chimeric and almost got away with murder until they discovered his secret. I also saw a documentary on it, one of which was a woman who had applied for public assistance in the UK, and apparently they apply their due diligence over there. She had to have testing to prove that her children were hers, and the tests came back repeatedly that she wasn't their mother. I believe in the end they took a tissue sample of her uterus and that DNA apparently matched. There were a few other stories similar to this as well. I guess the idea was that there were twins (franternal) in utero and one was assimilated. I guess the assimilated tissue can then grow into organs and such.

Miss Muffin is such a pretty girl. I had a tortie Siamese and she was quite the pistol. I hope you bring each other years of joy together.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, DAF. I went reading a bit on it after reading the posts here; interesting stuff, but admittedly way above my level when it comes to the in-depth biological science - an area I never excelled in. :(

I dont know if she is truly chimeric or not, and probably wouldn't have a DNA test on her to find out for sure unless there was a medical or other 'need' to do so. But it is very interesting nonetheless, and I will keep reading on it. She had her first vet visit on Friday (just a routine exam since she is newly adopted), and the vet and her staff just fawned over her the entire time. She is quite a character and has a HUGE personality for a 6-lb furball. :lol:

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She's only six pounds? Half of that is probably fur. I've used a Furminator comb on mine and when I ball up the fur and ask her "Who's fur is that?" she buries her nose in it.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's only six pounds? Half of that is probably fur. I've used a Furminator comb on mine and when I ball up the fur and ask her "Who's fur is that?" she buries her nose in it.
:lol::lol:

Yes, just over 6 lbs per the vet's scale Friday. She looks MUCH bigger than she is, as you said - due to fur.

I just managed to catch her (from outside) on her cat tree/perch, guarding the bird feeder in front of her favorite window (which clearly needs a pressure washing once our 'pollen season' is over). :D

IMG_1868.JPG

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her favorite window aka cat tv tuned to the nature program!:D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results