shape
carat
color
clarity

MirrorEffect!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stonelover

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I went into a B&M store and noticed that some diamonds when tilted in a certain angle would reflect light like a mirror would and is this effect due to its large table in comparison to its depth? ie is it a problem of its proportion related to its table /depth ratio?
wavey.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Bump

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My stone has a somewhat larger table (61.4%) and it does sometimes catch the light and reflect back only the table as a flat mirrored surface, which I think is kind of cool. I thought at first only larger tabled stones did this, but I have also seen some tables in their 50's that do the same thing. I would estimate that it's a feature of ANY diamond when the light catches the stone at the correct angle. By this reasoning..yes...larger tabled stones have more table taking up the diameter than a smaller tabled stone, so you may notice it more. Maybe an expert can pop in and speak on this topic...
2.gif

Go find a post by 'Nate' and view his little avatar icon, his table as a mirror is very evident in that avi...somewhat interesting.

Anyone else notice their table as the block of white light when their ring is casting rainbows on a wall or ceiling? I'll have all these rainbows and then this funky little white circle. That's my girl!
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if I completely understand the issue, so I'll just answer what I'm thinking and you can correct me!

All flat, shiny surfaces will reflect light. Thus, if you catch the light correctly, every facet of a diamond will have a mirror effect. I'm watching the girdle of my EC do that right now. So, a larger table will reflect a larger and more noticable ray of light. If you get a table that doesn't reflect light at all, well, what you'd have is a black hole, not a diamond!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results