shape
carat
color
clarity

Mirena

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Ladies!
35.gif
I wanted to post in the old Mirena thread, but it has been closed. I have finally bit the bullet and booked my appointment for March 26th to have Mirena put in. I am EXTREMELY nervous about the process of having it put in.
32.gif
Are there any ladies out there who wouldn''t mind sharing what it was like. I got an idea of what to expect afterwards from the old thread just wondering how long the whole procedure took and what it involved. My doctor did prescribe some pills to insert to soften the cervix (sorry if TMI) hopefully it helps.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Hahaha, MissJaxon, you and me both! Same day, too.

My friend at work who has it said it hurt like hell, but then she didn''t take any pills to open up the cervix, so who knows what it''ll actually feel like. I''m nervous, but I figure the best thing to do is just suck it up. I''m sure it hurts less than childbirth!

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 11:32:25 PM
Author: princesss
Hahaha, MissJaxon, you and me both! Same day, too.

My friend at work who has it said it hurt like hell, but then she didn''t take any pills to open up the cervix, so who knows what it''ll actually feel like. I''m nervous, but I figure the best thing to do is just suck it up. I''m sure it hurts less than childbirth!

Haha well then I guess we can both come online and be in agony together.
40.gif
My twin sister and I are having it done the same day one right after each other. Isn''t that a coincidence it is the same day as you! I hope it hurts less the childbirth!
23.gif
If anything I am sure I can deal with the pain so that I don''t have to feel like I am dying each month. Make sure to come back and let me know how you make out. I''ll be thinking of you!!
1.gif

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Being Jaxon''s twin sister, I too am having my Mirena Appointment on the 26th and now think that anyone interested in using Mirena should book for the same day so we can be the cool kids in class, hopefully, not the crying kids? lol...nah, I''m sure it will be fine...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just had one put in a month ago and it was a breeze. I *did* just have twins (but by cesarean) a few months ago, so my cervix might have already been a bit soft, but it look about 2 minutes and I felt just a bit of a cramp. I did have a teensy bit of cramping and spotting for the next few days, but nothing that impacted my activities at all.

The only thing I took was 600 mg of Ibuprofen ahead of time.

Honestly, I was expecting it to be much much worse based on that old Mirena thread!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
mild cramp at best. nothing to it. And I felt nothing at all when it was removed. Very easy process, but pap smears and the like don''t bother me either. I was told to take 4 Ibuprofen before I arrive (1 hour) and I go the pills to soften the cervix. I also had my insertion while on my period, which is supposed to help, and they gave me vicodin when I left, just in case. (didn''t need it, still in my cabinet years later...)

I DID get some crazy cramps in the following weeks, but the insertion was a breeze. My body was keenly aware of a foreign object though, in the coming weeks, and it seemed to keenly try to object. Got better with time though.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you ladies! I hope it goes fast for me too. I am going to take Advil ahead of time, but I think I might have my period during that time, mind you I never really know if I am going to have a short, normal or long cycle. Hopefully I don''t have really terrible cramps before they start because they can be almost debilitating I couldn''t imagine someone poking around in there.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like NF, mine too just a few minutes to be inserted and Ibprophen worked fine. You''re suppose to take it an hour or so before your appointment.

Good luck!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I had one and it was basically liike a really really intense pelvic exam. Not as bad as I would have thought. BUT unfortunately my body rejected it and the IUD fell out one its own.

So next month, Dr. tried again, second time same experience as first. Uncomfortable but not painful.

But then again, I have had 4 babies so my uterus has stretched quite a bit. Probaly why it fell out.

Unfortunately it fell out the second time as well so it was not for me.

Anyway, I would not be worried if I were you. I went through it twice in 2 months and it really was no big deal. You might want to take some advil an hour before.

Do you have kids? I think that its easier if you have had kids. But on the other hand, my doctor never gave me any pills but it was not a big deal.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I have had two Mirenas, and I love love love them . The first time was a year after my second child was born, and I would described the experience as "rapid onset menstrual cramp." Really, no big deal for me. I did take advil and felt pretty nervous, but it was a snap.

My only hitch was that about six months in, my husband tentatively, hesitantly, told me that "something is poking me." During sex. Ahhhhh! A hasty trip to the GYN showed that my mirena had shifted slightly which made the string, which is like fishing line, shorter, and, well, pokey.... poor guy. She trimmed it even shorter and said it may retract, which could be tricky to remove and may result in an outpatient procedure. So when we decided to try for our third child, I was nervous, because she couldn''t see the string at all... but in one swoop she got it out with no problems, and a month later I was pregnant.

My second was even easier, during the insertion...six weeks postpartum.

I love love love them. Any cramping or spotting in the very beginning has been nothing compared to how nice it is to be pill free!

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 1:11:58 AM
Author: wallermama
I have had two Mirenas, and I love love love them . The first time was a year after my second child was born, and I would described the experience as ''rapid onset menstrual cramp.'' Really, no big deal for me. I did take advil and felt pretty nervous, but it was a snap.

My only hitch was that about six months in, my husband tentatively, hesitantly, told me that ''something is poking me.'' During sex. Ahhhhh! A hasty trip to the GYN showed that my mirena had shifted slightly which made the string, which is like fishing line, shorter, and, well, pokey.... poor guy. She trimmed it even shorter and said it may retract, which could be tricky to remove and may result in an outpatient procedure. So when we decided to try for our third child, I was nervous, because she couldn''t see the string at all... but in one swoop she got it out with no problems, and a month later I was pregnant.

I love love love them. Any cramping or spotting in the very beginning has been nothing compared to how nice it is to be pill free!
Thank for all the info ladies! Did Mirena stop AF for any of you? Just wondering how that works or do you have AF as usual... Jaxon (my identical twin sister) and I have not yet have children. We want to very badly when the time is right. Jaxon is sufferring/struggling with PCOS and we both have Factor V Leiden which both will be obstacles when TTC so I am glad that we don''t have to worry about Mirena being another... Any other information or advise would be greatly appreciated as we still have about a week to build up anxiety lol...hehe

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 1:58:09 AM
Author: missjae

Date: 3/17/2009 1:11:58 AM
Author: wallermama
I have had two Mirenas, and I love love love them . The first time was a year after my second child was born, and I would described the experience as ''rapid onset menstrual cramp.'' Really, no big deal for me. I did take advil and felt pretty nervous, but it was a snap.

My only hitch was that about six months in, my husband tentatively, hesitantly, told me that ''something is poking me.'' During sex. Ahhhhh! A hasty trip to the GYN showed that my mirena had shifted slightly which made the string, which is like fishing line, shorter, and, well, pokey.... poor guy. She trimmed it even shorter and said it may retract, which could be tricky to remove and may result in an outpatient procedure. So when we decided to try for our third child, I was nervous, because she couldn''t see the string at all... but in one swoop she got it out with no problems, and a month later I was pregnant.

Thank for all the info ladies! Did Mirena stop AF for any of you? Just wondering how that works or do you have AF as usual... Jaxon (my identical twin sister) and I have not yet have children. We want to very badly when the time is right. Jaxon is sufferring/struggling with PCOS and we both have Factor V Leiden which both will be obstacles when TTC so I am glad that we don''t have to worry about Mirena being another... Any other information or advise would be greatly appreciated as we still have about a week to build up anxiety lol...hehe
Oopsie! Typo. Jaxon and I have not yet HAD children! I should have also mentioned that my PCOS testing hasn''t come back yet. Jaxon is definately diagnosed PCOS with blood work and internal/external ultrasounds. I haven''t yet recieved my internal/external ultra sound results and haven''t been blood tested yet though the ultrasound tech said my ovaries seemed to be okay and I am not having the extreme symptoms Jaxon is. Being identical twins I am curious as to the results though. Hmmmm... anyway...this was all a huge babbling after thought that I should have probably posted in the PCOS thread? Sorry!

missjae

Shiny_Rock
It turns out Jaxon and I will not be going ahead with our appointments to have Mirena inserted. We took our prescriptions to be filled and I went back to pick them up to be told I owed nearly 1 thousand dollars for both our prescriptions. Jaxon is planning to TTC in about a year, after she gets married and who''s to say Mirena will be for us...what if we have to have it removed after a month or sooner? There is no way we can justify paying closer to 500 dollars each for the Mirena.

The pharmacist saw my face when she said the total and was like...did no one tell you the price? we don''t order them in without authorization. I was like this is the first I heard of it. From the GYN, and the Pharmacy. I am MAD MAD MAD. I was counting on this...to make life easier...I am outraged....
29.gif

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear about the insurance thing. If you want, you could try a planned parenthood. They often have reduced prices depending on you income range.

I got a paragard and I''ve had no children. Now, granted I had it done while not on my TOM(which they encourage because you''re a bit more ''open'' then) but I ended up passing out. They had trouble getting it in, ie constant pressure on my cervix for a while and they even asked, ''are you sure you want to continue'' and I was like, ''I''ve gone this far, I''m not giving up.'' It was just uncomfortable at that point, really uncomfortable and then pop... it went in. And then I passed out. I''d do it again though. Interestingly enough I had NO cramping for days afterwards as I''ve read others have.

I have two insurances and my one would pay no part of it and thankfully the other(which normally I never use because they cover nothing) paid for it in full.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Well, I just got it placed! It's been under an hour and I thought I'd share my experiences here in case anybody else decides to get it.

It was definitely uncomfortable. I took the medicine that softens and opens the cervix, which I think helped. There was a pinch and then it felt like something was in my uterus with a butter knife and was furiously trying to cut itself out. The doctor told me I could swear, but I really only wanted to once. Mostly it wasn't so bad I couldn't talk through it, though I bit down on my finger at one point. It wasn't any worse than that. Now sitting down too quickly or going over a speed bump in my car isn't too comfortable, but for the most part it's like having a looooooooooong cramp. I have my appointment to check the placement next month, and then I should be good to go. He said there will probably be bleeding on and off for the next few weeks (I'm so glad I did this before I have to move and take a trip to Europe
20.gif
).

Anyways, I'm going to take advantage of this and have BF come over and fuss over me.
27.gif

ETA: I forgot to mention that with my insurance, all I had to pay was $3.50 for the medicine I had to take last night/this morning and my copay for the visit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results