shape
carat
color
clarity

mint trillion pair - where to find?

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Hi CS people!

I am after a reasonably priced pair mint green trillions - has anyone seen any anywhere?

I like these http://www.africagems.com/trillion-garnet-pair-gemstone-28606950.html but they are way too expensive for what I want. They may even be a little too bright, maybe something a little more blue-green would work better.
mint_garnet_trillions.jpg

I am looking to pay maybe $500US, is that reasonable?

They are to go with my peachy pink tourmaline, so anything with a colour that would look nice!

261300_10150216992177175_1958467_n.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What mm size are you looking for? Well matched pairs for a ring aren't easy to find because not only the size has to match, but the colour and facet pattern. Reach out to Prima Gems to see what they might have available.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Ask Prima about blue green/ teal tourmaline too. I have a pair of little square cushions that were originally sourced from them and I think the color would accent your peach pink tourmaline nicely

katharath

Ideal_Rock
If you need that size, it will be tough to find for $500.

I've purchased several round mint garnet pairs from Yvonne Raley and she currently has a round 5 mm pair listed for right about $500, I think the tcw of the pair is around 1.5 cts. (I'm going off memory here, I saw them online a week or so ago).

Definitely contact her or Prima. Her prices are going to be very similar to Prima's though, just FYI.

Good luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correct, you won't find any in that size anywhere for $500. I presumed you needed small side pairs of sub carat size.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Again...your budget is too small. Last show I was at Vance Gems had a nice pair. I wanted to buy just one and he didn't want to split them up.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In re-reading your post, I see that you did not specify that it had to be mint garnet. That will help you price-wise if you are willing to look at tourmaline. Unfortunately, in both tourmaline and in garnet, since the bluish hued ones are more of the trade ideal, any bluish green, even in mint, will command higher prices.

As others have said, $500 is likely to insufficient unless you are willing to consider small stones. If you are on Facebook at all, you can find a number of well priced cutters/dealers who may be able to find something that will suit your need.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I have not worked with her directly, I second Yvonne Raley as she seems to be a major pipeline recently for some stunning small suites and pairs of stones of various kinds.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys for all the replies, sorry for not replying. I have been sleeping, Aussie here.

The stone (from memory) is about 8mm on the long sides, so I was thinking they would need to be about the same, but looking at images shorter ones would work, like this:
small_trillion_sides.jpg

Is there a ratio of what looks best?

I know we went though many pages of setting this stone, but a year later, my mind set has changed and there was suggestion of setting this with mint coloured sides and it has stuck with me. They don't have to be garnets, I am a total CS newb so know nothing (Jon Snow :lol: ). They also don't have to be trillions, I just thought the straighter side would work best. Pears would work, I think also. I don't think rounds would?

I am happy to look at any other colours that may compliment the tourmaline! I don't want to spend $2000 tho, it seems a bit silly when the tourm cost $600AU.

I went back and had a look through the old thread [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-22-pink-tourmaline-from-rdg-sellout-how-to-set.205498/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-22-pink-tourmaline-from-rdg-sellout-how-to-set.205498/[/URL] and found a colour wheel tool that Alnitak posted. https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/ It certainly seems to indicate that greens go best with this colour.

I will contact Prima and Yvonne and see what they have.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Had a quick play, what do you think? The colours are a bit blah but using too different shots isn't ideal.
tour_with_emerald_cut_sides_copy_0.jpg

The sizes are guesstimates.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so much of this is personal taste, which makes it a bit more challenging. I personally am not thrilled by that color combo, but then again, in general I'm not a lover of two different colors anyway, so I shouldn't be asked :lol: The one thing I do know is that its best to match stones with like saturation levels and tones, otherwise one can make the other look washed out. As another source, I think it might be worth checking with Jeff Davies as he seemed to have some nice pairs for a while there.

Oh, and good for you for asking all these questions. :))

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Thanks minous. I didn't know whether to match saturation for saturation or it was better to have the sides less so. I think my tourmaline is pretty saturated but then, I don't really know what is. :think:

Yvonne got back to me pretty quick and said she might be able to get something so let's see what she comes up with.

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
I think gem silica would look nice. They have kinda a mint green look.
Also, maybe a 4-5mm height in the trillion would be portioned. Can't really be a judge without side by side comparison. ^.^
http://www.ajsgem.com/articles/gem-silica-or-chrysocolla-chalcedony.html-0

Here goes an idea of the color and price. Maybe try and find a pair.
http://www.ajsgem.com/gemstones/gem-silica/gem-silica-1.59-carats.html

Should keep you in budget. Possible that you could get a bigger one recut into two? I don't know if this would be correct.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Jajabis. I do like the colour of those but I can't find them faceted. I don't think the cabochon would suit my stone.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
OK I have some options from Nattalie at Prima Gems - what do we think of these?
They are the same stones in different places in the office.
img_5785.jpg
img_5783.jpg
img_5782.jpg
img_5781.jpg

The details are:
top to bottom and left to right
1.53 carats
5.5 mm trilliants
$460.00

1.23 carats
5.2 mm trilliants
$370.00

1.56 carats
5.8 mm trilliants
$470.00

1.75 carats
4.9 x 7.5 / 4.95 x 7.35 mm pear shapes
$530.00

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Do any of the above look any good?

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
I am leaning towards no 1.

I have had Yvonne ask if I still need her to look, so if these aren't any good, please let me know!

This CS stuff is HAAARRRRD!

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Billy No Mates back again, having a conversation with myself. :lol:

Anyway, Yvonne has got these for me.
yvonne1.jpg yvonne3.jpg

I am going to get these regardless as they are really inexpensive. I think I will get one of the Prima offerings also (maybe no1??) and choose then.

Any help? Please?

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi........sorry but this forum almost goes down on the weekends as people are busy with other 'stuff'.

I really like the color of Yvonne's stones, however I am sensitive to the shadows exhibited on pears and ovals, so for me personally I'd say no. You are right to order whatever you think might be a good fit.........seeing them in person with your stone in different lighting situations will be the only way to know for sure...........good luck! On Monday more folks will chime in...................

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Thanks digdeep!

I agree about the pears and the half/half thing.

What do you think of the trillions/trilliants? Any stand out to you?

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

I hate to look totally desperate and needy :wavey: but can anyone have a look at the 3 trillions from Prima and let me know which ones look best? I am leaning towards no1, top left.

Please and thank you. :kiss:

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
I like top left too. They're a little lighter in tone than the others, but they seem to be cut the best: they are evenly bright across the whole face of each stone, and have the smallest tilt window. Do you get a return period? There's nothing like seeing the stones in person, especially next to your center stone.

I think you're not getting very many responses due to the weekend, and also because the color combination is unusual. I know when I first looked at this thread, I didn't really like the colors together, and refrained from chiming in. Also the pictures from Prima are a bit far away, so it's hard to say for sure which pair would work the best. Did they make a recommendation to you?

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Thanks urseberry. I guess there would be a return period but am trying to avoid that as I am in Australia.

It's funny, I thought more people would be on her on the weekend as opposed to during the week! It's certainly when I get more time.

Do think the colour combination won't work? They are supposed to be complimentary colours according to the colour wheel. :confused:

arabella

Shiny_Rock
I think I'm having a hard time with the color combo. Not to say I hate it or anything like that, something about it is just throwing me off. Is the picture of the tourmaline in your first post true to what you see in hand? I think where I'm getting stuck is that it's hard for me to make a suggestion to you based on just that picture, plus usually the only side stones I gravitate to are colorless ones. I feel like maaaaybe you need to go towards a green that has more blue in it? Hopefully someone else can chime in who has more experience in matching CS than I do. More pictures of the tourmaline you're trying to match may help too if you have any [emoji4]

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
I like the lighter colour of the top pair, cant tell cut from those photos. I also like the pears you picked out

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
OK I have zoomed a little on the images, hopefully you will be able to see them a bit better! mint_zoom2.jpg
mint_zoom1.jpg
mint_zoom3.jpg
mint_zoom4.jpg

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
A couple more of the centre stone.
ptstone3.jpg
ptstonejd.jpg 10608306_10152230736282175_8225734270347354177_o.jpg

And the colour wheel.
colour_wheel.jpg

Does this all help?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like no 2 of prima Gems

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is difficult to advise which pair will be best because both the tourmaline and garnets will colour shift, so the best solution is to have all the stones in hand to compare, but unfortunately, being in Australia will not help matters.

_35146.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results