shape
carat
color
clarity

Minor details of Polishing are Present?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What does this line mean in a GIA report? And is it significant.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/17/2007 7:23:19 PM
Author:tanalasta
What does this line mean in a GIA report? And is it significant.
It means there is some extra facet or grove on the girdle or polish mark that is mentioned that probably has not been plotted on the graphic.

Perhaps the stone could be Internally Flawless, but not Flawless for example

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank''s Garry. The other question that I would like to know is whether this minor polishing mark (on an IF stone) would be visible from the naked eye and/or detract from the beauty (e.g. brilliance/fire/appearance etc...) of the stone?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not Gary, but I''d venture to say that if something isn''t plotted on the diagram, you won''t be able to see it with your eyes.

But let Gary give the expert opinion.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
not plotted means it is not significant enough (under 10x magnification) to be noted. definitely not enough to take away from the ''beauty or brilliance''. even if you have eagle vision, you probably won''t be able to see it with your naked eye.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What if it''s a GIA Dossier with no plot and that the comment is in the ''comments'' section.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2007 8:46:08 AM
Author: tanalasta
Thank''s Garry. The other question that I would like to know is whether this minor polishing mark (on an IF stone) would be visible from the naked eye and/or detract from the beauty (e.g. brilliance/fire/appearance etc...) of the stone?

The comment "minor details of polish not shown" on a GIA graded diamond of Internally Flawless (IF) clarity is in my opinion a sort of "catch all liability opt out type of phrase" that the GIA seems to use on ALL diamonds that are graded as Internally Flawless. I''ve never seen an IF diamond graded by the GIA that does not have this phrase listed under the comments section. While "minor details of polish" may or may not actually be present, the presence of the phrase provides the GIA with protection in the event that they overlooked something (obviously minor). I wouldn''t worry about it
2.gif

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the comments. Reassured and appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results