shape
carat
color
clarity

Minimoons

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
I got married in December and we cancelled our big honeymoon plans due to the economy. (sniff sniff - goodbye Cabo, goodbye Napa Valley!)

Seriously, I''m fine. It was my idea because with the layoffs happening at my husband''s bank, there is no way I could have enjoyed it. Anyway, we''ve decided to take a fun trip every quarter that he makes it through layoffs. Our first trip was a three day cruise to the Caribbean. I''m VERY excited about our next trip. We''re flying to Chicago and doing a Diners, Driveins, and Dives tour! (For those who follow the show) Flights from Orlando to Chicago are incredibly cheap.

So I''m looking for suggestions. What''s a fun, 3-4 day, relatively inexpensive trip from Orlando? (Either close enough to drive or a cheap flight with inexpensive things to do once you get there)

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t know you wree in Orlando
36.gif
36.gif

Go to the Keys. You can drive down (about 5 hours) and stay in one of the cute inns. You can go jet skiing or just walk around Duval. I love the Keys. When we want a romantic, quiet, and fun getaway that''s where we go.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 11:50:29 AM
Author:MaggieB
I got married in December and we cancelled our big honeymoon plans due to the economy. (sniff sniff - goodbye Cabo, goodbye Napa Valley!)

Seriously, I''m fine. It was my idea because with the layoffs happening at my husband''s bank, there is no way I could have enjoyed it. Anyway, we''ve decided to take a fun trip every quarter that he makes it through layoffs. Our first trip was a three day cruise to the Caribbean. I''m VERY excited about our next trip. We''re flying to Chicago and doing a Diners, Driveins, and Dives tour! (For those who follow the show) Flights from Orlando to Chicago are incredibly cheap.

So I''m looking for suggestions. What''s a fun, 3-4 day, relatively inexpensive trip from Orlando? (Either close enough to drive or a cheap flight with inexpensive things to do once you get there)

How about New Orleans or Savannah?

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Savannah, GA is lovely. It's not an exciting place to go necessarily, but it's very pretty and very pleasant. There's some great food, and fun touristy things to do. Also, it's a very walkable place.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Vegas, baby!

We love Vegas...it''s our favorite vacation spot of all time by leaps and bounds...it''s like Disney for the grown up.

We stay all over the strip...and for our upcoming 8 day vacation, we''re staying at the Flamingo in a GO room for $17.00 a night...that''s right $17.00 a night! You cannot even stay at Motel 6 for that!

Once you get to Vegas, if you can control the need to gamble, there are plenty of fun/inexpensive things to do. Such as half priced tickets for shows that can be purchased the day of on the strip at different booths, or if you can stomache it... free, but you have to do a "timeshare tour" which eats up about half a day--but earns you free slot play, food and/or shows.

Walking the strip can be fun with attractions like TI, Bellagio, and Mirage which all offer free "sights" in and out of the hotel.

Laying out by the pool relaxing is a great way to spend the day.

Ride the Deuce for $10.00 a couple and go to Old Vegas where you can see the ceiling show and street performers.

And if you like "tours" you can do both the Haunted Vegas and Mobster tour for under $150.00 a couple...but, don''t pre-buy both, only buy one tour and take advantage of the discount offered for the other one! And, the tour actually leaves from the Greek Isles...which is where Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMagio as well as Elvis and Precilla married!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 12:02:06 PM
Author: fieryred33143
I didn't know you wree in Orlando
36.gif
36.gif

Go to the Keys. You can drive down (about 5 hours) and stay in one of the cute inns. You can go jet skiing or just walk around Duval. I love the Keys. When we want a romantic, quiet, and fun getaway that's where we go.
I LOVE the keys!! One of my favorite vacation memories from my childhood (we went when I was about 11, I think).

I'll second Savannah, GA too. Just gorgeous, especially in the spring (is that when you're talking about going?? or during the summer?) because it's just COVERED in flowers.

If it were me, I'd just unfold a map and point blindly, then check flight prices to see if it's cheap. I've always wanted to hole up in some small town in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do but relax, walk around, check out local stuff, etc.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 12:39:51 PM
Author: musey

I LOVE the keys!! One of my favorite vacation memories from my childhood (we went when I was about 11, I think).

I'll second Savannah, GA too. Just gorgeous, especially in the spring (is that when you're talking about going?? or during the summer?) because it's just COVERED in flowers.

If it were me, I'd just unfold a map and point blindly, then check flight prices to see if it's cheap. I've always wanted to hole up in some small town in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do but relax, walk around, check out local stuff, etc.
I spend a lot of time (probably once a week) in little towns in the middle of nowhere for work and I don't recommend it
2.gif
3.gif
(Musy, no offense to your desire to visit one
25.gif
) It always sounds like a lot more fun than it really is. Be selective in your town and it could be a good time.

I agree with everyone about the Keys. I love it there!

And Savannah is supposed to be awesome, though I've never been. I'd recommend watching "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" before you go; that always gets me in the mood to visit Savannah.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 12:05:09 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Date: 3/5/2009 11:50:29 AM
Author:MaggieB

How about New Orleans or Savannah?
This was the first thing that came to my mind. Great food and great relaxation!

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 12:07:40 PM
Author: TheBigT
Savannah, GA is lovely. It''s not an exciting place to go necessarily, but it''s very pretty and very pleasant. There''s some great food, and fun touristy things to do. Also, it''s a very walkable place.
I haven''t been to Savannah yet, but would really like to go. There was a Rachel Ray $40 a day episode in Savannah and she found some great little places. See if you can''t find info about that, and maybe it will help you decide!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 12:02:06 PM
Author: fieryred33143
I didn''t know you wree in Orlando
36.gif
36.gif

Go to the Keys. You can drive down (about 5 hours) and stay in one of the cute inns. You can go jet skiing or just walk around Duval. I love the Keys. When we want a romantic, quiet, and fun getaway that''s where we go.
My favorite Key is Siesta. It''s beautiful and the beaches are incredible. If that''s where you decide to go...be sure to visit Lotions & Potions! It is such a fun store...you can design your own scent, and have it put into everything from lotion, to oil, to bronzer.

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Savannah would be a fun trip, and it turns out it''s only $56 to go by train which would be neat

My husband would LOVE to go the Keys. He could go fishing! Now I just need to find a reasonable place to stay down there.

I have never been to Las Vegas. Gambling just doesn''t appeal to me, but as so many of my friends have pointed out, the food and shows are amazing there too. Plus everyone has to go to Vegas before you die, right?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 3:05:36 PM
Author: MaggieB

Savannah would be a fun trip, and it turns out it''s only $56 to go by train which would be neat

My husband would LOVE to go the Keys. He could go fishing! Now I just need to find a reasonable place to stay down there.

I have never been to Las Vegas. Gambling just doesn''t appeal to me, but as so many of my friends have pointed out, the food and shows are amazing there too. Plus everyone has to go to Vegas before you die, right?

No offense to the Vegas lovers, but I am not a fan! So if you think you won''t like it, I say listen to yourself! (In Vegas'' defense I always go for work so I don''t get a chance to do much, but even the food doesn''t really impress me that much.)

I went to the Keys for a wedding in October and I loved it so I second that! Charlestown, SC is a gorgeous place, too, if you want a city vacation. Once it gets warm me and my fiance and my twin sister and her boyfriend plan on going there!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 1:30:21 PM
Author: dcgator
Date: 3/5/2009 12:07:40 PM

Author: TheBigT

Savannah, GA is lovely. It''s not an exciting place to go necessarily, but it''s very pretty and very pleasant. There''s some great food, and fun touristy things to do. Also, it''s a very walkable place.

I haven''t been to Savannah yet, but would really like to go. There was a Rachel Ray $40 a day episode in Savannah and she found some great little places. See if you can''t find info about that, and maybe it will help you decide!

If I went to Savannah my first stop would be Paula Deen''s house! My second stop would be the Lady and Sons restaurant. I have a major crush on the Deen boys and I want Paula to adopt me...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 1:06:53 PM
Author: elrohwen
Date: 3/5/2009 12:39:51 PM
Author: musey
If it were me, I''d just unfold a map and point blindly, then check flight prices to see if it''s cheap. I''ve always wanted to hole up in some small town in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do but relax, walk around, check out local stuff, etc.
I spend a lot of time (probably once a week) in little towns in the middle of nowhere for work and I don''t recommend it
2.gif
3.gif
(Musy, no offense to your desire to visit one
25.gif
) It always sounds like a lot more fun than it really is. Be selective in your town and it could be a good time.
I think that likely depends upon what one finds ''fun''
2.gif
plus, you''re working while you''re there. That surely puts a damper on fun!

I''ve done something similar with friends a few times and we had a blast. I''ve never gotten to do it with my husband, though!

Chelle0511

Rough_Rock
Sorry to be so rude and highjack this thread, but I''m dying...

Italiahaircolor - how did you manage to get your room for $17 a night?!?!?

We are considering an upcoming trip to Vegas, and I''d LOVE to know!

teapot

Shiny_Rock
You could go to Washington DC and go museum hoping. Most of them are free and you could spend the whole day there. If you stay in Virginia or Maryland, it is way cheaper than staying in DC proper.

You could take the train up and then take metro everywhere else.

OK, so it''s not romantic, but it can be lots of fun.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to DC next weekend for work. I''m staying at the Westin in Alexandria and the room is only $179/night!

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 4:09:21 PM
Author: teapot
You could go to Washington DC and go museum hoping. Most of them are free and you could spend the whole day there. If you stay in Virginia or Maryland, it is way cheaper than staying in DC proper.

Thanks Teapot! It is a great suggestion and we are definitely going to DC in the near future. My seven year old son has become obsessed with our government and is begging to go. But since we''re taking Jack, that trip will NOT be a minimoon!
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 4:09:21 PM
Author: teapot

Everything''s romantic when you''re with your new husband!
30.gif
2.gif
That''s a really great idea, teapot!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 3:12:45 PM
Author: thing2of2

Date: 3/5/2009 3:05:36 PM
Author: MaggieB

No offense to the Vegas lovers, but I am not a fan! So if you think you won''t like it, I say listen to yourself! (In Vegas'' defense I always go for work so I don''t get a chance to do much, but even the food doesn''t really impress me that much.)

I went to the Keys for a wedding in October and I loved it so I second that! Charlestown, SC is a gorgeous place, too, if you want a city vacation. Once it gets warm me and my fiance and my twin sister and her boyfriend plan on going there!
Totally Ditto!! Except for the going there for work part. I think that Vegas is the most over rated place I have been. Just not my thing. Another suggestion would be the islands of the coast of GA. Jekyll Island, Sea Island, and St Simons Island. I haven''t been but they look So gorgeous and they are near the FL border! Have fun on your minioons!

jekyll-island.jpg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for New Orleans. Of course, we could spend a couple thousand dollars just eating in NO for a week, so this might not be terribly cheap.

Austin is another awesome city if you can pick up a cheap flight.

Are both of you sports fans? Or music fans? Maybe an out-of-town trip to see a favorite team/band could be a good idea, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results