shape
carat
color
clarity

Mini-moon ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
FH and I have been talking about moving out of California for months, and a couple days ago, made a big decision: we''ll be moving to Oregon (Portland) in November. Less than 2 months after we marry.

Originally, we were planning on taking a cruise to the Mediterranean, but after talking about our move, we''ve decided to hold off on the cruise (until after we''re settled in our new state) and take a mini-moon instead.

But we haven''t a clue where to go, and I''d love some ideas!

We''re getting married at the end of September (the 29th), so we''d like to go somewhere in early October. We can leave from Dallas, TX (where we''re getting married) or Los Angeles, where we live. We''re open to flying (or driving, as long as it isn''t too long a drive), and want to stay for at least 3 nights.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
What kind of things do you two like to do(sight see, relax, hike, etc)? There are so many great options!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 2:05:40 PM
Author: indecisive
What kind of things do you two like to do(sight see, relax, hike, etc)? There are so many great options!

We like to do everything you mentioned!
9.gif
We're fairly active, but we like to relax, too. I think my (and his) ideal would be a place (or places) where we could do a little of both.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
You guys sound like a fun couple! I am from VA and we were thinking about doing a mini moon for awhile too. These were the places we were thinking about.

Here is a really nice resort. It is a little pricey but it is gorgeous and it looks like there is a lot to do there. They have a spa to so that might help with the relaxing!
http://www.thehomestead.com/outdoor-activities.asp

The other place we were thinking about was Smith Mountain Lake. It is actually where Dirty Dancing was filmed and it is near where we went to college. I really love the area because the scenery and mountains are gorgeous and there is some great hiking around plus fun things to do on the lake. Here is the section about places to stay
http://www.visitsmithmountainlake.com/WheretoStay.htm

The next place I though of is DC. Of course there is a lot of sight seeing and the city is just fun to walk around it. Lots of great restaurants and hotels too.

The Outer Banks in North Carolina also might be an option. It might be a little cold in October but it is a beautiful area and there is a lot to do there. I love just driving around and looking at the multi-million dollar houses there and checking out all the fun, unique shops.

The other things that come to ind would be San Francisco or CA wine country but since you are moving to CA that might not be as exciting. Colorado also has some great cities and lots of outdoorsy things to do. Hopefully people from other areas have some suggestions!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, thanks for the links! Both look great. What''s the weather like in VA in October?

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
It can get a little chilly, especially in the end of October but nothing horrible. Haha except you are a Texas girl, right? So then maybe it will be really cold to you! I would think you could get away with a light sweater type thing.

The other place I forgot to suggest is New Orleans!! My fiance and I went this summer and we are totally in love with the city. Lots to do and see but everything is at a slower pace (except the drinking on Bourbon St. I guess!) We stayed at the Monteleone hotel and they have the most amazing beds ever... good for mini moon activities
2.gif
. Plus they have an in house spa and a rooftop pool. They also have a revolving carousel bar wit a great atmosphere for relaxing and having a drink. I would stay away from Bourbon St. for most of the time though because it is not very romantic! There is plenty to do and see besides that anyways. Here is the website for the hotel,
http://www.hotelmonteleone.com/

ETA: There can also be some really amazing weather in VA during Oct. This year it has been unusually warm except for recently with the snow. Those places are in the mountains though, so it is cooler there than say VA beach.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
if you want more info on new orleans, i'm right down the road
9.gif
and may be able to help.
one thing, hurricane season is in october, it ends in november. just a thought.
and it's, what, 6 hours away from dallas?

how about vegas? or new york? or san francisco? how about austin? or is that too close?

honeybee

Rough_Rock
Have you guys thought about doing a short mexico cruise? I know that many leave out of L.A. and they tend to be very affordable.

Another thought would be to do an extended weekend in catalina (http://www.catalina.com ), or maybe a trip to Santa Barbara & the surrounding wine country (http://www.santabarbaraca.com/ ). I know that they do hot air balloon rides in SB that are supposed to be absolutely breathtaking.

honeybee

Rough_Rock
Oh I also wanted to add that there are many nice mexico/carribean cruises that leave out of Texas (mostly galveston (sp?))My brother lives in southern texas and has been on a few of those cruises, and said that they have always been nice and pretty affordable.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Ebree, you know I''m all about Vegas (go November 5th! We''ll be there!), but you should totally do Catalina. It''s not far, but there are a ton of things to do- hiking, horseback riding, snorkeling, there''s a cute town in Avalon with all sorts of things. I LOVE it there. I wish I had thought of that before booking Vegas!

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
We''re going on a mini-moon to New York a couple of weekends after our wedding. FI and I are both HUGE New York Yankee fans so we''re going to catch a game while in the big city. We''re also looking into seeing a broadway show while in New York. My suggestions is do something/go somewhere ya''ll both love! This will be our first out of town trip alone together so we''re super excited!
36.gif
We''re getting married in August, mini-moon a few weekends later, then going to Banff, CA for our honeymoon to snow ski in December.

Good luck.

E B

Ideal_Rock
You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for the ideas. I''m checking out Catalina now and I''ll also investigate some short cruises. I''ve got a list right here and am sending everything to FH. Again, thanks a ton!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
This might be the dumbest question ever, but I have to ask: Is the water warm off the island? I see pictures of people snorkeling, and I can''t help but think of how COLD the water is on our beaches here in SoCal.

So, what''s up?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Eh... Every time I''ve been to Catalina, it''s been perfect. The water was nice, as far as I can remember. You MUST see the Wrigley Mansion- soooo cooooool. There is a movie theater in it now, I believe.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 5:07:04 PM
Author: AmberWaves
Eh... Every time I''ve been to Catalina, it''s been perfect. The water was nice, as far as I can remember. You MUST see the Wrigley Mansion- soooo cooooool. There is a movie theater in it now, I believe.

Wrigley Mansion, eh? Okay! I''ll put that on the list.

FH really likes the idea of Catalina Island, as do I. It looks like it might be the winner! I''m so excited. I''m going to go do some more research, as I know nothing about it.

9.gif
10.gif

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
My FI''s family is crazy about Catalina!! Also Lake Tahoe is pretty close by. I hope you have tons of fun!!

honeybee

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 5:31:48 PM
Author: EBree

Date: 2/7/2007 5:07:04 PM
Author: AmberWaves

Wrigley Mansion, eh? Okay! I''ll put that on the list.

FH really likes the idea of Catalina Island, as do I. It looks like it might be the winner! I''m so excited. I''m going to go do some more research, as I know nothing about it.

9.gif
10.gif
I second wrigley mansion. The rooms are in the 300-400/night range,but include the use of a golf cart which comes in handy if you don''t feel like walking. (rooms are only rented out a few months out of the year I believe, so it might be something to check if you want to stay there), If you don''t stay there (there are plenty of nice hotels on C.I.) you should at least go take a look. Its very cool & has amazing views. Another reccommendation would be to have dinner at the Country Club and at least one relaxing lunch at the descaso beach club. Also, I found the water to be a bit chilly (then again, I''m always cold) but there are quite a few places that will rent wetsuits, which make it not so bad.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I know you already have tons of great ideas, but here''s one more. My DH and I did a mini-moon in the Northern California wine country (Sonoma). We booked a package at a bed and breakfast that included, among other things, a wine tasting tour in a vintage 1960 cadillac convertible, private appointments at boutique wineries that aren''t normally open to the public, a couples'' massage, nice dinners, etc...

I have to say, it was the most relaxing time I''ve ever had. Having everything booked for us in advance just took all the stress away and we had such an amazing time. I''m sure you could look into adding some more active activities as well - I know there are all kinds of hikes and bike tours and so forth in wine country. Plus the weather there in October is generally gorgeous - sunny and mild but not too hot, with cooler nights.

Honestly, I''d do it every year if we can afford it
9.gif

Also, congrats on your move to Portland. My DH and I were considering that for a while but ultimately decided to stay in the SF Bay Area because of career opportunities for us in tech, biotech, and finance. I hope you''ll post an update once you guys settle there - I''d love to hear about your experience!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results