shape
carat
color
clarity

Millgrain worn out?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

msprowitz

Rough_Rock
I am hoping someone can help me. I have a plat band that is a few years old. The milgrain around the edges has completly worn away. Is this common with plat? Can it be re-milgrained without compromising the ring?

Thanks
Michelle

beach

Brilliant_Rock
I would send it back to the manufacturer to be redone. And yes, it is common.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it really is completely worn away then there may be little metal to apply the finish onto..

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 3:27:34 PM
Author: beach
I would send it back to the manufacturer to be redone. And yes, it is common.
Bummer
7.gif
I hope that it''s reparable, msprowitz!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a platinum wedding band from the 1920s. I don''t know how long it was worn before I got it, but the miligrain is really not worn much considering it''s age and I''ve noticed no difference since I got it more than 3 years ago.

ajourklaus

Rough_Rock
Michelle,

this is very normal, especially in platinum and palladium and also palladium alloy rings. Nickel white gold stands up much better in this case.

What happens, the grain actually gets smashed, flattened. (more so then worn away)
Precious metals are only so strong. I usually try to guide customers away from mil grain engagement rings. The daily abuse is just brutal. Depends also a lot what you do for a living, some professions are literal ring killers.

The better news is mil grain can be recut by a good bench jeweler.

The retro movement with all the filigree and the mil grain is not to conducive for daily use. Manufacturers love it because it is much easier to produce then a highly polished clean surfaces. Especially in platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results