shape
carat
color
clarity

Mikimoto pearls on Ebay. Real? Fakes? Stress!

tku

Rough_Rock
I'm hoping the experienced folks on this forum can help me out.

I'm looking for a nice set of pearls for my wife, and the quality of the mikimoto A+ strands caught my eye. I know they're eye-wateringly overpriced for the quality of the pearls in general, but the A+ and higher strands seem to be better than just about anything else it's possible to easily get in the US. I've seen pictures of what most of the online retailers have to offer, and frankly they just can't match the luster of A+ mikimotos. I've heard good things about Andrew Moline elsewhere on this forum, so I reached out to him and am waiting to hear back. I've also heard of Takahashi pearls, but they don't have a return policy, and these pearls are meant to be a gift. I want my wife to have the option to not like them, even though I expect she will love them.

I'm not really willing to pay mikimoto's retail prices. I decided to check out the secondary market. I came across several listings like this in the $10-$16k range, for purportedly A+ necklaces with documentation:

and this one for for some tiffany pearls, that I don't think are quite up to the same standard as the miki A+ pearls...

While these are all expensive, they are significantly less than retail. Is there any reason to suspect they are fakes?

And is there a less sketchy place to get high-quality 'pre-loved' pearls than ebay?

Thanks!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh dear
no one replyed you
are we too late ?
i think it would be better if you started a thread in the proper pearl dept and someone will love to help you

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, can you post your question in the Pearls forum?
There are lots of super-knowledgable pearl collectors here who would love to help (I am a pearl fan but not qualified to give advice!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results