shape
carat
color
clarity

Mike Rowe video regarding college and your dreams

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son, who has recently gotten out of the military, and I have been having the college discussion and what he would like to do. He had a stint as a state worker (semi law enforcement) and it was not for him. As a parent you want to help them with any tidbits of experience you have gleaned over your years. I found this video a couple months ago and asked that both of them watch it (his twin brother is still enlisted but getting out next year). It had a profound effect on them which made them really think about the choices they will make. We have always told them we would pay for college should they decide to go, but not to play around or major in underwater basket weaving. In their senior year of HS they both came to us and let us know they would be enlisting. The reasons they gave were that they had no idea what it is they wanted to do and they did not want us to have to pay for college. It was hard for me but their father served and I was proud of them to make this adult decision with forethought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two master's degrees, a teaching credential, professional certifications in chemistry and toxic and hazardous waste, unexploded ordnance and IED remediation. DH has a PhD. We both believe that highly skilled trades are the way to achieve financial security/job satisfaction IF you are not passionate for academia AND have the smarts and talent for highly skilled trades.

Our world does not 'need' more BAs, MBAs, etc. No more lawyers either. The remuneration died for these avenues because there are way too many offering no specific value in the first place.

The man whose company has serviced my heating/AC for 17 years is a multi-millionaire, as he richly deserves to be. He gives me expert results in an absolute necessity. Same for plumbing and electrical.

I taught for over a decade and I was appalled at how the Idiots Who Decide Things dismantled Voc Ed at our high schools. Crazy. We're paying for it now and we will keep paying in the future. I fixed my own refrigerator and clothes dryer because the appliance repair guys from Sears failed at it. :roll:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1471124943|4065629 said:
Our world does not 'need' more BAs, MBAs, etc. No more lawyers either. The remuneration died for these avenues because there are way too many offering no specific value in the first place.

So they go into politics. :lol:

I appreciate your post azstonie! Thank you! My DH and I try to give the kids skills that will help them like changing tires, brakes, etc.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best to your son/s as they negotiate their way through this stressful and challenging time.

With them, look up Maslow's Pyramid (or hierarchy) and point out their ultimate goal is to live securely up at the pointy end, with their foundation rock solid. How do their employment options achieve this? That's the discussion.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1471125236|4065633 said:
azstonie|1471124943|4065629 said:

So they go into politics. :lol:

I appreciate your post azstonie! Thank you!

:lol: For sure!!!!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The courtesy driver came from the dealership just as I was editing my post above. I will take a look at Maslow's pyramid more in depth before I discuss with them. They are two quite grounded and hardworking young men who are extremely bright and have aptitude for many things. I want them to be happy in their choice of career but also to make a smart choice. Which is why this video I stumbled upon was something I wanted them to see.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results