shape
carat
color
clarity

might possibly have found "the dress"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, so I went with my mom to David''s today to try on dresses as our last chance before she goes for surgery in two weeks. Also because I have lost some weight and it was really motivating to see the difference in how I looked from the first time I tried dresses on (I went down almost 2 sizes - not at my goal weight yet, but definitely making progress!). Anyway, here are a couple of pics of me in the dress my mom and I both loved. I have to think about it because its more than I wanted to spend and I can''t find it on any of the discount websites. Also, since I am hoping to lose two more sizes I am a bit nervous about that and also because my wedding is so far away at this point I"m not really ready to get the dress. On the other hand, the dress is on sale right now ($750 vs. $950 normally). Does anyone know how often David''s has sales? Anyway, enough blathering, and enjoy these pics:

47b5d820b3127cce91a64d5e12d200000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

47b5d820b3127cce91a64d5c12d000000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

So...what do we think??

researcher

Ideal_Rock
You look beautiful in the dress, and if you feel it''s the one...GET IT!!! I am constantly seeing commercials for David''s Bridal "sales" so I don''t think you have to worry about the price, but you may have to worry about them not having the dress in stock. Now, isn''t it the case that most dresses can be taken in 2-3 sizes? I have a friend who lost over 50 lbs and she''s having her dress taken down 2 sizes (she bought it one size too small to begin with). Maybe you could get a manager to promise you the price in a month or something--it''s worth a shot!

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
First I want to say that that style looks great on you!
36.gif
Next I want to say that in the first photo, your face is lit up as though the dress genuinely makes you feel like bride. (YAY)

My friend bought her dress at David's a year ago during a sale. I know the $99/$200 off sale occurs at least annually, but I feel as though I hear the commercials for it at least twice a year. My concern is that if you buy the dress on sale now, future alterations could make the cost be approximately equal to buying it in a smaller size later on.

I am currently blanking on the name of the company, but I swear there is a company sells the same dresses as David's for less. As I understand it, you can even use David's style numbers to find a dress. The company is sure to plaster its ads and website declaring that it is " no way affiliated with David's". Have you checked there? Does anyone out there know what company I am babbling on about?
33.gif

ETA: I googled the terms "in no way affiliated with David's" and "not associated with David's," and I think I may have found the company I meant. I believe I was talking about www.davincibridal.com

Good luck!
Munchkin

Rube

Shiny_Rock
That dress does look really beautiful on you!

I wanted to add that I have a dress from David''s that I bought in a similar sale probably about 4 months ago, to help you get an idea how the sales are spaced apart. Although, I think it is a great idea to ask for the same price a month from now. Another idea might be to ask the sales person to sell you the dress now and then order the actual dress, in the size you want (after another fitting) in a month or two. It''s true alterations could cost you a bundle.

The dress I''m wearing is also STRIKINGLY similar to a DaVinci dress, like Munchkin mentioned. I''m not sure how the price compares, but it is another option to look for the same style at a possibly lower price in the future.

Of course, if all else fails, and you LOVE this dress, get it now an alter it later. Maybe it would be good to order one size down to start with. Congratulations on your weight loss!

beautifuldisaster

Shiny_Rock
AmberGretchen,

I wish I could see you in the dress..the pics aren''t loading for some reason. I am sure you look amazing!

Congrats on the weight loss!! Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry big accomplishment!!!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
AG- you look fabulous! Looks great on you!

About the sale prices- IMO, they are ALWAYS on ''sale''... I think they use it as a tactic to try and get you to purchase the dress NOW. You know how that goes. David''s usu doesn''t sell any cheaper through online etc... bc they are already considered a ''discount'' store. So DaVinci does copies of Davids gowns, and so does Discount Bridal Superstore. THere''s one in Fremont and one in Albany near the 80/580 interchange. You might want to try those two.

Re size/ordering, I would personally wait a while... ask if they are going to discontinue that particular style anytime soon, and if they aren''t I would hold out. The alterations could run hundreds of dollars if you''re going down two sizes, and you have so much time until your wedding, I think it''s better to wait.

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Davinci Bridal is REALLY similar to David''s!

I bought both of my gowns (I''m having 2 ceremonies, which are very different in styles) at Davids in early May and both were on sale, so I think their sales might happen often. The dress I bought for the second ceremony was from the $99 rack (discontinued styles) and it''s 2 sizes too big so I have to have it altered down, which is going to cost at least $200 doing it through David''s (which my tailor tells me is a very competitive price). So that gives you an idea of how the alterations will add up if you end up with a dress that is too big. But, the other dress I bought is being ordered in my size and it too needs to be altered (in the hem), which is $100. Bottom line, you''re gonna pay a lot in alterations no matter what, so if you can save $200 in the purchase price you might want to go for buying it now on sale.

BUT, on the other hand, you said that you''re not really ready to get the dress and you''ve got a long time before the wedding so don''t be afraid to wait. Although, I must say, you look smashing in that dress!!!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
You look beautiful in it! What does the front look like? Its hard to see in the pics! Its a gorgeous dress..

But you do still have a long time til the wedding! I''d keep looking! Definitely go to some stores that aren''t Davids.. You may end up going back to the same dress!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results