shape
carat
color
clarity

Michelle's helps with college admission

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Who's browbeating now?

Like all those other kids without enough talent to do what she does, or the work ethic to make it all work?

What she wrote is obviously not the point of this entire 10 page thread but more of an insult that I would be going through all of this if these were students who did not earn the chance to be there.

wetsawblade

Rough_Rock
Try being Jewish and living in the Bible belt.

We have cousins who live in Texas and believe me it is not that welcoming. They cannot wait until their kids finish high school so they can get out of there.

As for the sour grapes, you can think anything you want. Your problem, no t mine.

And I have admiration for those who do not use their minority status as a crutch.
I do not believe you. Like most things you attempt to defend, mostly via aol news, you cannot know anything about being a Jew living anywhere close to the Bible Belt. I've lived in the South for over 22 years; your cousins must be making bank or they would get out. No one forces kids through miserable high school experiences unless it's financially necessary or beneficial for the family. I call nonsense.

I'm in an education-related field working with exceptionally accomplished, dedicated, & talented students. That said, one student, totally under the radar, scored a perfect SAT score on the most recent test, first time ever taking it: extraordinary.

The parents don't speak English. We're helping the family for free so they can capitalize on the student's amazing natural ability. Student will be Ivy League, & we're thrilled to help out. It costs us nothing but a little time advising & guiding, much like many conscientious mentors offer in this type of scenario, including Mrs. Obama. IMO some people deserve the extra mile, but apparently you deeply feel otherwise.

Random thoughts:

I might be mistaken, but did you once post that you worked under 3 different principals? Why is that?

You constantly use religion as a minority status that you employ as a crutch repetitively with little demonstrated ethics. Some words bad, others good?

I totally agree with iLander.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
giphy.gif

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I do not believe you. Like most things you attempt to defend, mostly via aol news, you cannot know anything about being a Jew living anywhere close to the Bible Belt. I've lived in the South for over 22 years; your cousins must be making bank or they would get out. No one forces kids through miserable high school experiences unless it's financially necessary or beneficial for the family. I call nonsense.

I'm in an education-related field working with exceptionally accomplished, dedicated, & talented students. That said, one student, totally under the radar, scored a perfect SAT score on the most recent test, first time ever taking it: extraordinary.

The parents don't speak English. We're helping the family for free so they can capitalize on the student's amazing natural ability. Student will be Ivy League, & we're thrilled to help out. It costs us nothing but a little time advising & guiding, much like many conscientious mentors offer in this type of scenario, including Mrs. Obama. IMO some people deserve the extra mile, but apparently you deeply feel otherwise.

Random thoughts:

I might be mistaken, but did you once post that you worked under 3 different principals? Why is that?

You constantly use religion as a minority status that you employ as a crutch repetitively with little demonstrated ethics. Some words bad, others good?

I totally agree with iLander.

So what you are experiencing must be the same for everyone else.

Making bank? If you mean having good jobs, yes. And not everyone can afford to sell their house, give up good jobs and just move.

Principals retire, duh. And in one case one got transferred to a school that would have added considerably to my commute. Anything else?

You mentioned student will be IVY league. Has he already been accepted.

And don't you think my school had competent advisers who did everything for them as well?

ILander apparently does not get along with more than a few people.

Last edited:

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
The Unoversities should not accept them.

For the upteenth time -

All those kids who got a perfect 5.0, 1600 on their SATs and also work to help support their families.
So let's say this school she went to had a 4.0 as max GPA unweighted scale, and 5.0 for the max weighted scale. How does one get a perfect 5.0, when certain required classes don't have AP/Honors classes? Example, P.E./GYM, Art, Drama other elective classes that you have to choose a certain number of, but honors classes are not offered. It is literally impossible at many (most?) schools to take all AP courses. (is there really an AP gym class anywhere in the world?) So on the 4.0 unweighted/5.0 weighted scale, how would one get a perfect 5.0? Do tell.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ladies calm down ..::)

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori E-ring said:
Good for her!!!!
Good for her but not fair to others.

Right. And again, what about the kids who have loving parents, good schools and three nutritious meals a day? There are a horrifying number of kids in the country who don't have even one of those things. Should the kids who do not take advantage of them?

You know, not so long ago, you and Lovedogs had a conversation about graduate psych programs. She generously gave you some advice for your daughter, which you said you were going to pass along. If your daughter uses this inside advice along the way while making her applications, is that unfair? Not everyone applying will have access to Lovedogs' knowledge...

I do realise that the two situations aren't exactly analogous, honestly, your position here is baffling.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is ridiculous.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG! Monarch, DH and I love the IT Crowd! "have you tried turning it off and on again"
Ha! I've never seen that show! I used this popcorn gif because the Michael Jackson one is too gleeful and smug. I was shooting for more of a vaguely entertained feeling.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Ha! I've never seen that show! I used this popcorn gif because the Michael Jackson one is too gleeful and smug. I was shooting for more of a vaguely entertained feeling.
It was perfect!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of points - rich people have been "donating" money to get their kids (including those children that are less intelligent and less gifted than the ones you have seen miss out) into schools in the US for decades, this is a well documented fact. There are numerous articles out there about how x or y got into this school or college or that one because of who they know or who Dad and Mum might be connected to or which schools or colleges Dad, Mum and other members of the family went to. So your system sucks and life isn't fair. To all the kids that you know that missed out yep life isn't fair, that's how it is sometimes, you can either dwell on it or get over it.

Next point Ruby is you personally were not sitting in on every one of those interviews of the kids you have see miss out versus Yara, so without doing so I don't think you can tell why she got in and anyone else didn't. If I was one of the people judging who to accept in such an interview maybe I would be sitting there thinking wow, what a well accomplished young lady this girl is and good on her for having the determination to actually ask Michelle Obama for a reference, this in itself shows me that the girl is smart and got a bit of drive, because she knew what getting that would mean.

If I was sitting in the interview with some of the kids that had perfect grade averages that were overlooked as opposed to Yara, perhaps some of them were nervous and didn't answer questions well in the interviews, maybe some of them were too arrogant, maybe some of them did not have a wide range of extra curricular things etc, so that is why they were turned down as opposed to the bright energetic young girl that dared ask a presidents wife for a reference.

I am trying to understand is your point that these places should only take students on marks alone? And if so why? Because marks alone don't always indicate who will become a great doctor, or a world innovator or a great business person or leader.

And if your point is that this girl got in simply because she dared ask Michelle Obama for a reference, then we won't know if she would have gotten into every school anyway without it, we don't know how she responded in the interviews, we don't know if any or all of those kids that got better grades than she did either bombed in interviews or were lacking various qualities that made the interview panel select people with lower scores over them.

And if she did happen to get into all of these places because she had a "golden ticket" reference from Michelle all I can say is good on her for having such a wonderful opportunity and seizing it, again this simply shows me someone who is smart and determined over everything else if you personally don't like that the rest of the world is still going to keep spinning.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results