shape
carat
color
clarity

Michelle Duggar Pregnant with 18th Child

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sha

Ideal_Rock

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080509/ap_on_re_us/18_kids

Have you ever seen the Duggars' family story on TLC? I remember when Mrs. Duggar delivered her 17th child last year. I thought, wow...I wonder if she's going to stop anytime soon? I guess not! I think she gets pregnant every year!

What do you think? I just wonder how they can afford to have so many children, and whether they're really going to keep on going until she can't have children anymore. That might be like 20 something children...by the time they're done! And when do they have sex? If you check the ages of the children, she really DOES get pregnant almost every single year. I think she probably spent most of her adult life being pregnant.
23.gif

She's really fertile, though.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen their show! I think I was gasping the whole time
23.gif
They built their "dream home" in cash so he must make a good living. I think she said they would keep having kids until she couldn''t anymore. Honestly, to each their own. It doesn''t bother me but I cannot imagine living that life. Her poor body...pregnancy does take its toll.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 11:32:05 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I have seen their show! I think I was gasping the whole time
23.gif
They built their 'dream home' in cash so he must make a good living. I think she said they would keep having kids until she couldn't anymore. Honestly, to each their own. It doesn't bother me but I cannot imagine living that life. Her poor body...pregnancy does take its toll.
Ditto. Actually I saw them on the morning show and they seemed like a wonderful family. Someone I know is 1 of 15 in their family and she is a wonderful person and very close to her family and they have the best family reunions. I wouldn't want to do that but years ago they use to have so many children.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Call me judgemental, but in a time where resources of the earth are streched thin like never before, having that many kids is selfish. Each with cars, kids of their own, food, etc.
My friend has pic of their family portrait with the caption: (femail gentials): not a clown car. That seems about right.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I have to admit their family disturbs me. I''m sure they are great people, but it seems like their priorities messed up. Are all of these kids going to college? And the financial resources to just keep them fed. OMG!

And I think Mr Duggar is in real estate.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 12:26:57 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Yeah, I have to admit their family disturbs me. I''m sure they are great people, but it seems like their priorities messed up. Are all of these kids going to college? And the financial resources to just keep them fed. OMG!

And I think Mr Duggar is in real estate.

But it is *their* financial resources so I guess that is why it doesn''t bother me. Besides I have a lot of friends that paid their way through college. Not sure why that makes a difference.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen the show. I admire them as a family. They are financially stable, loving, kind and very responsible at least to me. The kids seem happy, well adjusted and have a good sense of self.

I just worry about her health... I wonder when they will say when.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 12:51:38 AM
Author: Kaleigh
I have seen the show. I admire them as a family. They are financially stable, loving, kind and very responsible at least to me. The kids seem happy, well adjusted and have a good sense of self.

Yes, they do seem to be a very loving, well-ordered family. All of the children are homeschooled by Mrs. Duggar. Seems like the parents really instilled a healthy sense of teamwork among them. From what I''ve seen on the show, all of the kids willingly do their part in helping with the household chores and looking after the younger ones. And there doesn''t seem to be much fighting or arguing among them ether, which seems rare for a family that large. It''s almost like the Brady Bunch. The Duggars are a Christian family, and it seems as if they really do abide by those principles. So, at least they''re not raising a horde of rude, uncontrollabe kids - but children who will at least contribute something good to society, by the looks of it.

I just really wonder about her, and being pregnant so often.... wow.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t you lose bone mass and all kinds of other crazy stuff when you have multiple babies within a short period of time? I can''t imagine what is happening to her body.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I believe he is/was a politician. I think its definitely odd... one of the main reasons people used to have so many kids is because not all of them would survive and they wanted to ensure there were enough to help with the chores and take care of parents and grandparents in their old age. Today, that is obviously unneccessary. I understand that some people don''t want to use artifical birth control, but what about the "natural family planning" method? It seems like they aren''t using that either... I do think they seem like a nice enough family though. It''s good that they are being raised with Christian values, discipline, morals, and teamwork skills... I just don''t think they will fit into "normal" society well at all.

They are doing MUCH better than some of the other families on TLC who have dozens of children. A couple of those families just seem sketchy!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 12:51:38 AM
Author: Kaleigh

This is exactly how I feel about them as well. This absolutely is not good for her health, and I would bet one of these consecutive pregnancies she will have serious complications. I am surprised it hasn''t occurred already really!

At least they are a loving family and able to take care of themselves financially. I don''t love the population implications though! Imagine if each of their children has a mere ten kids?!
2.gif
That would make 180 grandchildren at this point!

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
They seems like a wonderful family to me. I''d rather have my kid play with their kids than most of the ones in our upper class neighborhood anyday. The implications for her health are huge, though. Of course it''s a good thing every family doesn''t populate like this one! The fact that they are self-supporting is a big factor why I like them, too.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think what bothers me the most is the fact that it looks like none of these children are able to have much of a childhood. Due to the fact that babies KEEP coming, the eldest are having to parent their siblings, and that isn't fair. I can guarantee they're not getting enough one-on-one attention from their parents, and I think it could affect them later in life if not now, considerably. They're forcing their children to grow up far too fast due to the fact that God keeps giving them more. And that's why I think it's selfish.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 6:12:41 AM
Author: oobiecoo
I believe he is/was a politician. I think its definitely odd... one of the main reasons people used to have so many kids is because not all of them would survive and they wanted to ensure there were enough to help with the chores and take care of parents and grandparents in their old age. Today, that is obviously unneccessary. I understand that some people don''t want to use artifical birth control, but what about the ''natural family planning'' method? It seems like they aren''t using that either... I do think they seem like a nice enough family though. It''s good that they are being raised with Christian values, discipline, morals, and teamwork skills... I just don''t think they will fit into ''normal'' society well at all.

They are doing MUCH better than some of the other families on TLC who have dozens of children. A couple of those families just seem sketchy!
Yeah, I think their approach is that they will take how ever many children God decides to give them. I don''t think they take any steps to avoid pregnancy, not even natural family planning, because their approach is if they get pregnant, it''s a gift from the Lord. It''s good that that''s something they can afford to do, because if most women took that approach to just get pregnant as the Lord wills it, then many women would be in really bad situations.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I believe he is/was a politician. I think its definitely odd... one of the main reasons people used to have so many kids is because not all of them would survive and they wanted to ensure there were enough to help with the chores and take care of parents and grandparents in their old age. Today, that is obviously unneccessary. I understand that some people don''t want to use artifical birth control, but what about the ''natural family planning'' method? It seems like they aren''t using that either... I do think they seem like a nice enough family though. It''s good that they are being raised with Christian values, discipline, morals, and teamwork skills... I just don''t think they will fit into ''normal'' society well at all.

Yeah, their approach is to take as many children as God gives them. I don''t think they try to avoid, not even by natural family planning, because their approach is that if they get pregnant, it''s a gift from the Lord. It''s a good thing they''re able to afford it, because if most women took that approach, a lot of women would be in very tight situations.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I have to admit it can''t be good for her body to go through that many pregnancies. They do seem like nice, down to earth people, but the way they all dress the same kind of creeps me out. Maybe it''s easier to do laundry when everyone''s clothes look the same? Plus the hair. I dunno.
Also, I don''t agree with the responsiblity the older ones are given to pretty much care for the younger ones. They have a right to a childhood, too. I doubt if they get any social interaction outside their family which is pretty sad. They may have difficulty integrating into society when they leave home. Do they have friends outside the family? Have they ever interacted with other children their own age, apart from children in other families just like theirs? Just my opinion!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
medically you are suppose to wait 1 year in between pregnancies.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just amazed at how many "J" names they came up with! I can't imagine trying to keep track of people in that house. I'd go through about 6 names before I got the one I want. Especially Joy-Anna and Johannah, they seem awfully similar.

"Joshua, 20; Jana, 18; John-David, 18; Jill, 16; Jessa, 15; Jinger, 14; Joseph, 13; Josiah, 11; Joy-Anna, 10; Jeremiah, 9; Jedidiah, 9; Jason, 7; James, 6; Justin, 5; Jackson, 3; Johannah, 2; Jennifer, 9 mos."

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
I also wonder if each child is getting adequate attention from their parents. I feel sorry for the children.

I hope they will be able to blend with society in the future. They all seem like they " are in their own little world "

Hopefully the children will be able to have normal relationships outside of the family.... I also hope they seek others
outside the family when they become attracted to the opposite sex..

This just seems like a perfect set up for abnormality among the children....I won''t elaborate..

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

Personally, I think it is a sad day when values, discipline, morals and teamwork skills don''t fit into normal society.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 11:28:12 AM
Author: Sha

Yeah, I think their approach is that they will take how ever many children God decides to give them. I don''t think they take any steps to avoid pregnancy, not even natural family planning, because their approach is if they get pregnant, it''s a gift from the Lord. It''s good that that''s something they can afford to do, because if most women took that approach to just get pregnant as the Lord wills it, then many women would be in really bad situations.
This family takes their religious views very seriously and view their children as gifts from God. However, their religion also teaches that the father must provide for his family. If they couldn''t afford it financially, they wouldn''t be doing it. Having more children than they can provide for, would be against their religion.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 10:37:38 AM
Author: EBree
I think what bothers me the most is the fact that it looks like none of these children are able to have much of a childhood. Due to the fact that babies KEEP coming, the eldest are having to parent their siblings, and that isn''t fair. I can guarantee they''re not getting enough one-on-one attention from their parents, and I think it could affect them later in life if not now, considerably. They''re forcing their children to grow up far too fast due to the fact that God keeps giving them more. And that''s why I think it''s selfish.
I agree. I had to help raise my brother for years when I am less than 2 years older because of various problems and I didn''t have much of a childhood. The same thing happened to my mom, ecepct she was the primary care giver for bother syblings. There are no silly stories from her youth, she was always 10 going on 40 because she had to be. I think that is sad for the kids.

I have seen the interviews and they definitely seem coached to me. Yes they say all the right things, but the same almost exactly the same thing in every interview. I have known big families, and they simply don''t work as well as this family always claims to.

I also still think in a time where people are starving around the world and global warming may soon push us over the brink, having so many kids is irresponable.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 1:50:17 PM
Author: crystalheart1
I also wonder if each child is getting adequate attention from their parents. I feel sorry for the children.

I hope they will be able to blend with society in the future. They all seem like they '' are in their own little world ''

Hopefully the children will be able to have normal relationships outside of the family.... I also hope they seek others

outside the family when they become attracted to the opposite sex..

This just seems like a perfect set up for abnormality among the children....I won''t elaborate..

They''re homeschooled . . .

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s their values or morals or teamwork or whatever that won''t make them fit into society I think it''s how sheltered they are-or at least seem to be. The rest of America doesn''t have 18 children. They will likely never fit in as well with the public as they could. It''s sad, but they almost seem like an exhibit in a zoo. Because of the tv shows, the press that they get and the fact that they have 17 brothers and sisters means that they will always be regarded differently in society. They will always be a spectacle. Yes, it''s wack, and yes it shows how judgmental American society is, but thats life.

I also believe that having 18 kids is irresponsible to mankind. And when they start multiplying...oh dear.

They said in one of their specials that when they first got married that they had her on birth control but that she got pregnant anyway, and they only found out that she was pregnant when she had a miscarriage. They decided that was God''s way of telling them that birth control was bad, and since then have not practiced any form of it (obviously).

Personally I hope for her and her kids that her body does not give out on her before she stops being able to conceive easily(I don''t think they''d do in vitro? I don''t know why they would...). I think that if she has a pregnancy that goes wrong...

I wonder what her gyno has to say?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Duggars are believers of "Quiverfull." Google it to learn more. I personally don''t have a problem with their lifestyle...I think everyone has a right to practice what they believe in as long as it doesn''t harm others or infringe upon others'' beliefs. It isn''t like this is some crazy new trend that there is some danger of everyone else in the world latching onto and becoming a follower of...

I don''t think these children are going to grow up and be "abnormal" and further, I don''t think it''s detrimental to them to have been raised in such a large family. I think I remember seeing on one of the shows about them that they also host church in their home every Sunday and that the congregation is about 100 people. They''re sort of like their own little community. I doubt very much that they care whether they fit into "normal" American society as we know it, hence the homeschooling, etc. They''re just doing their own thing, nothing wrong with that.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s odd, but when I see how loving and calm and cooperative that family is, I just feel happy.

I don''t know if I feel happy, because it isn''t me with 17 children, or that the parents don''t allow our "normal" society to define them. If they can create a happy, sustainable, more peaceful environment for themselves and their family, I am very happy for them.

I don''t necessarily believe that our society is "normal". I think it''s dysfunctional.

At least this family is spawned by a single loving Mother and Father, and not some wierd cult environment where they have to test the DNA on every adult and child to determine who the biological parents of a child actually turn out to be. That''s reprehensible in my opinion, even though they all seem as peaceful as the community on Stepford Wives.

Or worst yet, some madman that rapes his child, plans her future confinement as a hostage, and bears 7 children with her over the course of 24 years.

I''ll take the Duggar''s family any day.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 5:47:37 PM
Author: monarch64
The Duggars are believers of ''Quiverfull.'' Google it to learn more. I personally don''t have a problem with their lifestyle...I think everyone has a right to practice what they believe in as long as it doesn''t harm others or infringe upon others'' beliefs. It isn''t like this is some crazy new trend that there is some danger of everyone else in the world latching onto and becoming a follower of...

I don''t think these children are going to grow up and be ''abnormal'' and further, I don''t think it''s detrimental to them to have been raised in such a large family. I think I remember seeing on one of the shows about them that they also host church in their home every Sunday and that the congregation is about 100 people. They''re sort of like their own little community. I doubt very much that they care whether they fit into ''normal'' American society as we know it, hence the homeschooling, etc. They''re just doing their own thing, nothing wrong with that.

You are so wise
2.gif
1.gif
You know what is disturbing to me....a video I saw on CNN of a two year old smoking pot with his parents. The dad who just killed his three children. The abused, neglected, abandoned children is what *I* have a problem with.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Wow, nothing like bringing up a rapist, incestuous, child-imprisoning monster to make the Duggars look innocuous and normal.

I don''t have such a problem with this one family choosing to have 18 kids as they can support them all - its kind of like Britney Spears having a big mansion and overconsuming her share of earth''s resources, or me not living the most ecologically responsible life that I can. The Duggar kids certainly will be weird relative to "normal" American kids, but I don''t know that that''s a problem. They seem happy and raised in functioning family unit. We don''t post about Quakers kids or reservation-raised Navajos kids being ill-served by their fundamentally different upbringing.

But the ideology and religious belief behind their decision I find quite dangerous. Looking at the Quiverfull ideology, they are supposed to have these "blessings from God" without regard to their financial situation. God also provided childhood diseases, maternal mortality, plagues, and other limits to human population that we modern humans have been clever enough to minimize. If we reproduce at speed, we will eventually reach the earth''s carrying capacity and long before that will have problems with resources and overcrowding.

I''m still kind of mentally debating whether or not its morally OK for me personally to have more than 2 kids to "replace" hubby and me, given these beliefs. I''m not sure that population growth in the US is a problem enough yet for it to really be bad to have 3-4 kids, but 18??? That''s insanely irresponsible and problemmatic if the practice is long-term or widespread and not an abberation.

I''m wondering if this woman nurses her kids primarily for at least a year. I know Irish-twins exist, but I thought you got about two-year child spacing usually with lactation-related contraception. Maybe I''m wrong?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cara, I just brought it up b/c it seems so silly to judge them. They seem happy and healthy. I agree they are strange but I *don''t* think they are doing anything wrong. They are not on welfare. Their choice of having a large family is *their* choice. Some people nurse their children for years...I don''t think that would be a problem. But pregnancy DOES take its toll on a woman''s body. I guess she is accepting that risk.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Cara~ I just found out today that my cousin is pregnant with her 4th child. She''s currently nursing the 3rd, so it does happen.

I think the Duggars have appeared to have raised some decent people. If they''re good parents, I thank them for putting good people on the planet!

I understand the "environmental" issues with large families, however, with my strong faith, I would have no problem carrying and raising as many children as God sees fit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results