shape
carat
color
clarity

Michael B Settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
Does Michael B actually make his own settings? Or...does he make an original, and then have talented hired help create duplicates? This might be a strange question, but I was not sure. I know his settings are not sold everywhere. I do know they are super quality.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
There are stores that sell Michael B and I know I''ve read on posts that you can actually go to his store in Studio City, CA. Apparently his wife works in the store that is right above his studio. You can find a lot of threads on Michael B and his BEAUTIFUL designs. Here is the Michael B website

Michael B

Good Luck

kaya

Rough_Rock
I have a Michael B ring set, and we bought our ring set, (the e ring and the matching wedding band) from his studio directly over the phone. They were very helpful from what my hubby tell me. I had nothing to do with dealing with them as I only got to choose my setting and the diamond and my fiancee at the time took it from there. He delt with Vanie who works at the studio, at http://www.matthewsjewelry.com/ which is the name of Michael B''s studio. (I think its named after his son). The stone was bought from GOG and shipped directly to Michael B and he set it and made my prongs smaller, because I asked. I have the petite crown lace collection. Hope that helps. But when I contacted them initally, Vanie was very helpful on where I could actually see a setting in person, as I had no idea as to scale what they looked like aside from pics. I would definately recommend speaking to them directly.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Glamgirl....

My fiance and I just picked up my Michael B ring a couple of weeks ago (the 3 sided pave). The jeweler we worked with in Chicago said that he had Michael B start a file on me so that the same person would do my wedding ring when we order it later this year. The jeweler said there are 3 people who create the settings and each has a slightly different pattern for pave and he wanted to make sure both my rings would match perfectly. I did notice that my ring''s pave pattern was a little bit different than the sample I had originally seen.

Good luck. The Micheal B rings are beautiful. I can''t wait to see mine again. My fiance is still trying to plan the perfect proposal so I only got to see it for a bit when we picked it up.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2005 8:59:22 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Glamgirl....

My fiance and I just picked up my Michael B ring a couple of weeks ago (the 3 sided pave). The jeweler we worked with in Chicago said that he had Michael B start a file on me so that the same person would do my wedding ring when we order it later this year. The jeweler said there are 3 people who create the settings and each has a slightly different pattern for pave and he wanted to make sure both my rings would match perfectly. I did notice that my ring''s pave pattern was a little bit different than the sample I had originally seen.

Good luck. The Micheal B rings are beautiful. I can''t wait to see mine again. My fiance is still trying to plan the perfect proposal so I only got to see it for a bit when we picked it up.
Hi Island Dreams:

As for the matching wedding band. I have been consulting with my jeweler. Bill at Pearlman''s.. and he confirmed what many on here and other jewelers were saying that the three-sided pave ring can''t be worn with a three-sided pave wedding band...well it is not that it can''t, it is just that the diamond on diamond rubbing will damage the ring......

I am saddened by this news and now I have to figure out what I will do for a wedding band....
7.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
What sort of damage can occur? I assume the diamonds will scratch each other....But how long would it take before it truly looks bad? Also, are the metal bits holding in the diamonds out far enough that it would keep the diamonds from touching on the sides? It seems odd that they are presented as a set if they shouldn''t be worn together....I just really have a hard time imagining anything but the matching band with my ring. I guess I''m just sort of a matchy-matchy girl.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is what I was thinking FLOD...that the rings would scratch each other. Why would someone ever buy the matching ring then? Do they have any sort of way to get around it? Spacer?

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Bill said that after a while the diamonds would scratch each other. Another jeweler told me that the diamonds would start to look opaque... she said that a client of hers said that it took less than 3 years for the damage to be significant. The tiny platinum prong heads in the pave probably won''t help b/c they are pretty much flush with the small melee..

As an alternative, Bill has suggested adding two of the Michael B. wisps..one on each side.... he said that "These small band profile the ering so you can see the diamonds on the side but not take away from the beauty of the ring."

So I dunno.. I am kinda bummed though!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2005 2
6.gif
7:59 PM
Author: Mara
That is what I was thinking FLOD...that the rings would scratch each other. Why would someone ever buy the matching ring then? Do they have any sort of way to get around it? Spacer?
I don''t know why someone would buy the matching.. unless they didn''t know any better...

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
What are the "wisps?" Pictures?????

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know why Michael B would promote them as a matching set...doesn''t make sense if they damage each other!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
The wisps to me look like a narrower version of the princess rings. When I saw the princess rings they weren''t as thick vertically as the 3 sided pave...so I wonder if the wisps line up with the top of the 3 sided pave? I bet they will be flatter looking.......

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I dunno... it is a look and see kinda thing on the wisps. Bill said that it would look nice... who knows?

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Update: The lady at Michael B. said that they do make the matching wedding band and that they have had many people purchase the set and that they have never had a problem with it. Soooooooo... who the heck knows. and also, as for the setter, she said that if you look inside your e-ring there is an initial and that initial signifies who set the ring...you just need to tell the people at Michael B the initial inside the shank and the same person will set the ring...

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi FLOD,

I was just thinking about this.
If there is a concern that the three sided pave on the e-ring might damage the matching three sided wedding band, I would also be worried about damaging the wisp bands, or any bands with or without diamonds for that matter.

I bring this up because I had a 7 diamond shared prong wedding band(not three sided, all the diamonds where just on the top) and the diamonds slowly started to erode the prongs on my Leon Mege e-ring.

I would ask MB if they have some kind of guarantee or warranty against this.

I recall that Kamuelamom had a similar problem when her matching Vatche wedding band wore away the prongs of her e-ring. When she tried to contact Vatche about it, they wanted to charge her to fix it, even though it was a flaw with their design!

Also, what if the diamonds on the wedding band start to eat away at the prongs on your e-ring?
I would definitely ask MB about this.

It would be ashame to spend all that money and find out that eventually down the road you will have to get a new set or have to pay a lot to have it fixed.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree Kayla and also...just as a cynic...I would take what the *manufacturer* of a product says with a grain of salt...I mean obviously they want to sell settings right? I don''t know the people at MB...so I would just err on the side of more cynical than trusting if someone has already told you that there have been problems with this.

They could have had alot of people who don''t have a problem and then those random 5 who did. I would be worried I''d end up being one of the 5. Definitely find out about a warranty and if so, get it in writing!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kayla,

I will think about it. I am also thinking of soldering.. who knows what i will come up with! only time will tell.

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2005 3:37:42 PM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds
Thanks Kayla,

I will think about it. I am also thinking of soldering.. who knows what i will come up with! only time will tell.
I''m in the same boat FLOD. Not sure what I''ll come up with either (when the time comes)... But an intersting comment from Leon. I asked the same ques. about a matching WB since he''s making a 3sided for me . And his stmt was, "well, you can get the matching band, but just wear them together for important functions. it''s not meant to be worn together daily." I was floored by Leon''s comment. The idea is just so foreign to me. But I guess this is what goes on w/ ballers. Imagine that... wedding bands to wear depending on the outting. Nuts.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cutegirl,
I'm in the process of having Leon do a ring for me too. I spoke to him on sat. about a matching w-band and he said he doesn't suggest doing a band to wear on the same hand b/c it will interfere with the design of the e-ring. I always wanted to wear two rings so now i'm not sure what i'm going to do. This is a reset for me and hubby said he doesn't care if i wear a band with it. I know many with Leon rings will be wearing their bands on their right hand. He also told me you can wear a band on the same hand occasionally. I was thinking of getting a channel set eternity band to wear with it so at least diamonds wouldn't be rubbing against diamonds. Of course, then the sides of the eternity band will get scratched up...oh decisions, decisions, Leon ring vs. 2 rings
20.gif
7.gif

youngster

Shiny_Rock
Here is the link at Pearlmans Jewelers for those Michael B "wisp" bands:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/Product.asp?DesignerID=18&ItemTypeID=1&ItemID=879&start=24

I have also discussed with my jeweler (and Bill Pearlman) what to wear with my crown lace rings (both the ER and WR are presently on order). I was told that I could wear both rings together and that Michael B hasn''t had any problems with the crown lace rings damaging each other. However, they aren''t the 3-sided pave rings. The wisp bands were also suggested and I tried them on just a couple of weeks ago. They are very light and delicate. Only .25 tcw. They fit with a very very low profile which still allows you to see the side diamonds on either the ER or WR. They can also be worn as guards on either side of either ring. I didn''t try them on with the 3-sided pave, though, only with the crown lace rings. I liked them and am considering getting one or two down the road.

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2005 9:51:37 AM
Author: mrssalvo
Cutegirl,
I''m in the process of having Leon do a ring for me too. I spoke to him on sat. about a matching w-band and he said he doesn''t suggest doing a band to wear on the same hand b/c it will interfere with the design of the e-ring. I always wanted to wear two rings so now i''m not sure what i''m going to do. This is a reset for me and hubby said he doesn''t care if i wear a band with it. I know many with Leon rings will be wearing their bands on their right hand. He also told me you can wear a band on the same hand occasionally. I was thinking of getting a channel set eternity band to wear with it so at least diamonds wouldn''t be rubbing against diamonds. Of course, then the sides of the eternity band will get scratched up...oh decisions, decisions, Leon ring vs. 2 rings
20.gif
7.gif
I always wanted to wear two also. I was soooooo hoping for that "eternity" look.
39.gif
The only way to come close to it, is to get the channel set like you said... BUT spacing comes into play. b/c your 3-sded will be more rounded I think. And then there''s the issue of it not looking like a set.. might be weird?

He did suggest that I just get a thin simple plat w-band... so I def. think you''re idea will work fine. Just a matter of it looking nice as well. Oh Crap! Funny, I had the chance to change it.. but my mind was tooo set on the 3sided. Couldn''t tell me nothin''!
38.gif
He knew that and told me we''ll cross the bridge when it comes time. lol!

kaya

Rough_Rock
I wear both the e ring and matching wedding band on the same hand, and while they sit flush against each other I havent noticed any damage to the diamonds on the side that e ring and the band touch. (I have the lace collection so there arent as many (12 diamonds on the side for each band). But when my husband ordered them, he did say there is a warranty on the rings in case they are damaged or loose, so for me its a non issue if its covered by their warranty. I will have to double check with him though.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi All,

On the Michael B 3 sided pave you have lots of options. A 3 sided wedding band is fine to wear and will not damage the other ring. For everyday wear it is quite a formal set and some may wish to dress the ring down by using the wisps band either one or two as guards. For travel you may want to just wear the wedding band for in some place outside the country or cities in the US they may draw the wrong attention. The princess bands also work well with the 3 sided pave. For most of you getting married or who are married the options with different rings to wear is endless. Over the many years of marriage to my beautiful wife I have presented her with jewelry for all occasions. I''ve been married a long time but for each anniversary I have always believed in the presentation of something just for her to symbolize my love for her. Be it flowers or jewels it''s just the one occasion that truly represents the union of the couple. You don''t have to spend a fortune everytime on this just a little planning on pieces that she can wear on the occasions we have to wear them. So for a future anniversary maybe plan on a piece like the wisps or 3 sided. My wife tells me that it is like shoes! So many varieties of black. Also you may want to think that with any of the ways you wear the pave a additional purchase may be a pave earring or bracelet to match. Michael and many other wonderful desingners do much more than rings and for those that enjoy the look and feel of designer jewelry you can create many neet looks with the other pieces.

I''ll be happy to set some time aside if any of you would like to discuss the design side of the business. Just let me know what works best with you. I represent 60 of the most talented designers in the business and I''ll be happy to discuss this area. [email protected]

Thanks,
Bill Pearlman

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2005 9:58:54 AM
Author:glamgirl
Does Michael B actually make his own settings? Or...does he make an original, and then have talented hired help create duplicates? This might be a strange question, but I was not sure. I know his settings are not sold everywhere. I do know they are super quality.
Glamgirl:

I found out that Michael B. has 3 different setters that for him setting his design. The setter carves his initial into the shank of the wedding band.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results