Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Meteorite/s Hit Arizona 4 AM, great vid

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 1, 2014
Messages
3,758
https://www.rt.com/usa/345178-arizona-meteor-flash-video/

Watch the vids farther down in the link, some of them are from surveillance cameras, one from a dash cam! (Great use of those handy items!)

We heard the sonic booming at my house but weren't outside so didn't see the bomb-like flashing and fiery trail.

There is a lot of money in meteorites, I know the meteorite hunters are looking like mad for the impact zone.

I bought a meteorite fragment at a mineral show and its probably one of my fave specimens, super heavy and somehow its always COLD (a good thing in Arizona).

20160602_140320.jpg
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
10,311
I'd be out there hunting too - I'd love to have a chunk of meteorite!
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
Yes, there is a lot of money in meteorites. My DH saw a matching pair of pistols made out of meteorite - they are valued at roughly a million dollars :shock:
 

DAF

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
420
I have a watch with a meteorite face. It's pretty cool to say that I own something that's four and a half billion years old.
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,157
Kristie,

How cool you heard the sonic boom. I hope people find some chunks of meteorite.

Your meteorite is fabulous. We did a program on them one time at our astronomy meeting and an guy called our house and said he had a meteorite he'd like to bring to the meeting but only if Marty could pick him and the meteorite up. So Marty goes to get him; he is a really old gentleman and the meteorite is on his patio. It was about 75 pounds and the size of a loaf of bread. He was a farm kid and they found it in their field plowing one time. His parents used it as a door stop. Very cool to see something that size.

How fun.
Marcy
 

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
1,907
Kristie, DH sent me a link from ABC15/Phoenix, & that must of been incredible!! I imagine our ancestors must of been quite freaked out to witness something of that magnitude. I would've loved to have seen something like that. I'd be out there looking for fragments too :). Your meteorite is special, no doubt! At least you heard it!
 

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 1, 2014
Messages
3,758
sarahb|1464921526|4039649 said:
Kristie, DH sent me a link from ABC15/Phoenix, & that must of been incredible!! I imagine our ancestors must of been quite freaked out to witness something of that magnitude. I would've loved to have seen something like that. I'd be out there looking for fragments too :). Your meteorite is special, no doubt! At least you heard it!
Definitely scary, would have required some kind of sacrifice!!!
 

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 1, 2014
Messages
3,758
marcy|1464919229|4039635 said:
Kristie,

How cool you heard the sonic boom. I hope people find some chunks of meteorite.

Your meteorite is fabulous. We did a program on them one time at our astronomy meeting and an guy called our house and said he had a meteorite he'd like to bring to the meeting but only if Marty could pick him and the meteorite up. So Marty goes to get him; he is a really old gentleman and the meteorite is on his patio. It was about 75 pounds and the size of a loaf of bread. He was a farm kid and they found it in their field plowing one time. His parents used it as a door stop. Very cool to see something that size.

How fun.
Marcy
AND YOU DIDN'T BUY THAT METEORITE FROM HIM????? Marcy, Marcy, Marcy!!! :twirl:
 

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 1, 2014
Messages
3,758
VRBeauty|1464904785|4039541 said:
I'd be out there hunting too - I'd love to have a chunk of meteorite!
Hey VRBeauty, some people are saying hunt near Payson, some are saying a little north of Tucson.

Stop by for a swim at my house, it was 110 today. 8-)
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,157
Kristie sadly he wasn't offering to sell that meteorite.


Marcy
 

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
2,299
Just read an article today that one of King Tut's swords was made from a meteroite.
 

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 29, 2005
Messages
1,489
Kristie

I had no idea it would be so bright! So, so cool.
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
41,842
Great videos Kristie, thank you for sharing. Bright is right. :sun:
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,157
Too funny Kristie.


Marcy
 

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
10,006
Wow. Just like in the movies! Thanks for sharing. Can't believe it happened IRL.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
29,103
Very cool!

I love this outer space nature stuff!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping
    Get The Look: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Get The Look: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Three Yays for Cartier
    Three Yays for Cartier

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top