shape
carat
color
clarity

Menu suggestions for brunch menu...Please?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need a little creativity because I do the same thing when I do a brunch... I would love some ideas..but no fish or shellfish. I usually do a quiche because that’s a favorite...but there will be weight conscious people there. It’s only for nine adults and three small children. I have the children down..so just for the adults. I was thinking of making bacon or sausage or both...and ham, cheeses, biscuits and or croissants, little rolls they can put the ham on...fruit...salad...These are things I normally do. They are coming at ten but I plan on having cut up cheese out for when they first get here at ten...I’m putting out the buffet at 11. My friends like having sweets too but I don’t think this group would like it. I plan on just having some sliced pound cake..mainly for my husband as he loves that. This is for this next weekend..Thank you!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You’re making me hungry! As you say some guests are weight conscious, how about some veggie options? Courgette fritters are easy and great to eat cold as well as hot. You can make with grated courgette, add broccoli, peas, spring onions etc. and use wholemeal flour to help make them more filling. Served with a salad, some feta to crumble over, or poached eggs if you’re cooking hot things too. Or a breakfast frittata? Again, easy to make in advance and tastes good cold, and can serve with either bread or salad so flexible for people.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an usual suggestion, however, congee as in rice porridge with ham and hard boiled egg?

Not usual to me as I am Chinese, and am used to having congee with salted pork and thousand year egg with some fried dough stick pieces for brunch. Sometimes with roasted duck.

I don't have this often as I do not live close to a vibrant oriental community.

However I shall definitely have some when I visit my mum and bro in Vancouver next year!

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Toasted sandwiches with cheese and ham that could be made and cut up in advance?

Baked brie or Camembert with toasted Ciabatta or toast fingers, or with mini sausages, or candied bacon?

Sloppy Joe?

Mini grilled gammon rounds with a fried quail egg on top in a small bun?

Bubble and squeak with or without added bacon or ham?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You’re making me hungry! As you say some guests are weight conscious, how about some veggie options? Courgette fritters are easy and great to eat cold as well as hot. You can make with grated courgette, add broccoli, peas, spring onions etc. and use wholemeal flour to help make them more filling. Served with a salad, some feta to crumble over, or poached eggs if you’re cooking hot things too. Or a breakfast frittata? Again, easy to make in advance and tastes good cold, and can serve with either bread or salad so flexible for people.
That’s a great idea @lissyflo! I do make zucchini bites which would be good too..I’m making a quiche so that will be one of the main dishes..Thank you!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the weight conscious I suggest fruit salad and a strawberry spinach salad. Maybe do a fairly plain breakfast pizza or quiche as your egg dish and have tomato, cheese, bacon, mushrooms, etc as toppings so they can control their portions. My fav brunch treat is champagne with a scoop of a fruit sorbet instead of mimosas.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooh! All great ideas @dk168! Thank you!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think maybe I would offer them some quite different options. Then the ones that are watching their weight can eat the healthy stuff like yohgurt, fruit salad, home made iced tea and bircher museli. And the ones who are feeling more like hearty foods can eat quiches and maybe a salad with chese and even a cold meat as ingredients -- in any case if you make the same number of dishes but span a broader range of foods then they can all pick the option that suits them (I can't imagine them eating more than 1-2 of the dishes each, as it's only breakfast).

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think maybe I would offer them some quite different options. Then the ones that are watching their weight can eat the healthy stuff like yohgurt, fruit salad, home made iced tea and bircher museli. And the ones who are feeling more like hearty foods can eat quiches and maybe a salad with chese and even a cold meat as ingredients.
That’s what I was thinking...I should have two different options...When I did a coffee for my friends..I would put out a bowl with ice and stick yogurt in it for the ones that didn’t want cake..I may do that too..with maybe some granola in a bowl to sprinkle..Thank you!

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have a specific recipe that I use (google one every time) but maple, bacon muffins are usually a big hit in our household.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More...

Instead of baked brie or Camembert, swap it for a BBQ sauce that is lower in calories.

Creamy scrambled eggs with smoked salmon off cuts on the side for those who like fish. Or crispy bacon bits or toasted nuts.

Sauted sliced mushrooms in a creamy sauce, great on toast.

Welsh rarebit as in open cheese on toast. I like to make it with a mixture of grated cheese, cream, bacon bits, chopped spring onions and toasted sesame seeds.

Dim sum like pork dumplings or prawn dumplings, they can be found frozen in oriental supermarkets.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frittata or crustless quiche! Easy to make ahead of time and tastes great at room temp.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Frittata or crustless quiche! Easy to make ahead of time and tastes great at room temp.

I was going to suggest that too. You could add veggies in it and use 2 percent milk etc. I'd also cut back on meat with health focused people- I'd probably skip the bacon and sausage and do just ham, because it's leaner.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @dk168 @mochiko42 @elizat These are all really great ideas! I took a pic of all your suggestions so if I don’t do them this time I have great ideas! The one constant is my quiche but it does have a crust. I tried making a crustless quiche once and I was bombarded with cries of protest. My friend suggested I keep it simple with quiche, assorted cold cuts, small rolls for the guys or whoever else wants them to make a little sandwich, fruit salad, green salads...yogurt and veggie egg muffins for the kiddos...I’m also going to add some of your ideas. My 2 year old grandson put in his request for dinosaur nuggets...:lol: He always has to put in his two cents! Thank you so much!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds yummy. One more idea fwiw.... dollar sized pancakes in a couple of different flavors, they can be healthy (protein pancakes) and it's easy to make a fruit compote to use as topping instead of maple syrup. Have a great time :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have so many great suggestions here and I am so hungry reading them lol. If it's OK I am adding one too. Vegetarian and yummy.

salad.jpg

One more. For vegans. So good.

veganbowl.jpg

Enjoy your brunch @Mamabean. I know it's going to be delicious and fun no matter what you serve.:appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cheese scones and mini cheese muffins, served warm.

This is my mini cheese muffins recipe, hope you like it.

Screenshot_20191102-190326_Facebook.jpg

Drop scones as in thick pancakes with sultanas, great served warm with butter.

I love food, just in case that is not apparent! :lol-2:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rather than a quiche you can make a quiche without a crust or an egg casserole with other ingredients. I am suggesting this only because you mentioned people being weight conscious. If people are on Atkins or keto type diets, these casseroles would be quiche-like wothout crust. It was just another idea, though. I always bring quiche to Thanksgiving. I think it is elegant. :))

This is an example of Christmas morning casserole. I sometimes made casseroles similar to these back in the days when I would have a crowd for breakfast on Christmas morning.(It is not low calorie.)

Deb/AGBF

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, Your brunch sounds like it will be delicious. If you are with people you care about it, it will be a great time regardless of what is on the menu.

Now I’ll be thinking about pound cake all day LOL.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Avocado toast! Works for the health-conscious and gluttons alike.

I have never tried this and it looks so yummy. When it came into creation I sadly was gluten free. I will have to search out a gluten free avocado toast option.

I mean look at this. :lickout:

I can taste that fresh avocado...yummmm.

avocado-1.jpg

ETA: Here is a gluten free option from one of my favorite sites for food.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never tried this and it looks so yummy. When it came into creation I sadly was gluten free. I will have to search out a gluten free avocado toast option.

I mean look at this. :lickout:

I can taste that fresh avocado...yummmm.

avocado-1.jpg

ETA: Here is a gluten free option from one of my favorite sites for food.

I think there are more and more gluten-free breads out there these days. I hope you can get your avocado toast fix!

I looked at a lot of recipes online and most of them had ingredients very similar to guacamole. My husband makes fantastic guac so I have guac toast instead!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are more and more gluten-free breads out there these days. I hope you can get your avocado toast fix!

I looked at a lot of recipes online and most of them had ingredients very similar to guacamole. My husband makes fantastic guac so I have guac toast instead!

Oh I love fresh guacamole so much. Greg makes it for me and yummmm. I have never tried gluten free bread so I am wary because how can it taste as good as real bread? But I am open to trying it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I usually do some mini frittatas for brunch so that I can accommodate vegetarians and those who eat meat. You can do this in either regular or mini muffin tins. Add cheese, meat, veggies---whatever.
Plus you can make them ahead and reheat.

I would do mini everything whenever possible. That way people can take small portions. Mini croissants, mini muffins, etc. Anything finger food is good.
I always include lots of fruit (i.e. berries with lemoncillo and fresh mint) and greek yogurt for people who do not eat processed meat (I do not eat sausage, bacon or ham myself). I also do a steel cut oatmeal bake that has almonds, blueberries and flax seed. Healthy and bakes in a 9" square dish or you could make individual ramekins.
But---you have to know your crowd and how they like to eat. I just try to have a little of something for everyone.
And if you are doing mimosas--try champagne and cranberry juice instead of OJ--really yummy!
Have a great party--it sounds delicious.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I usually do some mini frittatas for brunch so that I can accommodate vegetarians and those who eat meat. You can do this in either regular or mini muffin tins. Add cheese, meat, veggies---whatever.
Plus you can make them ahead and reheat.

I would do mini everything whenever possible. That way people can take small portions. Mini croissants, mini muffins, etc. Anything finger food is good.
I always include lots of fruit (i.e. berries with lemoncillo and fresh mint) and greek yogurt for people who do not eat processed meat (I do not eat sausage, bacon or ham myself). I also do a steel cut oatmeal bake that has almonds, blueberries and flax seed. Healthy and bakes in a 9" square dish or you could make individual ramekins.
But---you have to know your crowd and how they like to eat. I just try to have a little of something for everyone.
And if you are doing mimosas--try champagne and cranberry juice instead of OJ--really yummy!
Have a great party--it sounds delicious.

Thank you @Elizabeth35..I like the idea of minis!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do I make that?! I LOVE avocado!

@Mamabean I posted a gluten free recipe above and here it is again

and here is a non gluten free recipe fyi

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have so many great suggestions here and I am so hungry reading them lol. If it's OK I am adding one too. Vegetarian and yummy.

salad.jpg

One more. For vegans. So good.

veganbowl.jpg

Enjoy your brunch @Mamabean. I know it's going to be delicious and fun no matter what you serve.:appl:
Thank you @missy! That vegan bowl looks yummy! I also love the presentation!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you @JPie! I’m definitely going to make avocado mash! I might get little naan bread circles!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results