shape
carat
color
clarity

Men... *smacks forehead*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Oh boy. I''d just like to share my crazy story. So my boyfriend''s clock is ticking before mine, and it was always curious to me that he always brought up starting a family, but never really ever mentioned marriage or the like. He said before that he never wanted to get married, but then within the past year started saying how committed he is to me and all that jazz.

Anyway, into my "Are men really that clueless?" story, I was home for the weekend two weeks ago and we were snuggled up on the couch watching TV. He once again brought up the subject of kids and how cute ours would look. The beginning of the conversation went like this:

Me: "Well, if we''re going to have kids, I want to get married first"
Him: "But you know I don''t want to get married"
Me: "If you want to have kids with me, you''re getting married to me"
Him: "But I already feel married to you"
Me: "Well, you''re not. Why are you so against marriage?"
Him: "What is getting married going to say that I don''t already say? I love you, I''m committed to you..."

This escalated very quickly, and our opposing ideas sprang up VERY bluntly. We argued back and forth on it for a good 15 minutes. It got debate-level. I cried a little. He even said once "If you want someone who wants marriage, I''m not that guy, I don''t know what else to tell you". The conversation continued:

Me: "You''re never going to find a good woman who wants to have kids without getting married. What you ask for is baffling."
Him: "I mean, yeah, of course I''ll sign paperwork and do the legal thing, because starting a family means sharing a life, but you won''t see me on an altar"
Me: (like hitting a brick wall, i went silent, as "signing legal paperwork" IS "getting married") ".... . ...What do you think marriage is?"
Him: "I''m not sitting in a church, in a stuffy tuxedo, getting read to from a book I don''t believe in, going through counseling before hand, I don''t believe in any of that. You want a traditional wedding. I won''t do it."
Me: ".........When have you ever known me to be that kind of person? When I say traditional, I mean that you propose and then we get married on some amazing beach somewhere with our own vows written in front of a really small group of friends".

Him: (sits in silence for about 30 seconds, which felt like a half hour) "Oh. .. .. .. Well, if that''s your version of getting married, then lets do it tomorrow."

Me: *blink* .. .. . *blink blink* . .. . .

*smacks forehead repeatedly*

You know, to be fair, we are not religious, but for some odd reason, many of our friends are, with two being mormon and two being Jehovah''s Witness, so of all the weddings he''s been to, he only knows THAT type of thing. But, C''mon!!

Of course he felt really awful for me crying and made it up to me. Also when we went out in the boat later that weekend, he would randomly throughout the day say things like "What about Jamaica? Jamaica''s got some nice beaches" or "You know, I haven''t been to the Bahamas in a really long time. Green Turtle bay would be beautiful to get married at".

*sigh* I can''t fault him. I love him. And for my guy, who is incredibly smart with a college degree and his own successful business, is just so obliviously dense sometimes. I can laugh about the conversation now, but man, was that tense for a minute! lol.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!

I''m glad it was just ceremony issues and not commitment issues!

I hope now he knows that having a wedding is different than "getting married".

I think a beach wedding will be fabulous!!

I''m happy you two got all of that aired out - semantics are the devil''s work!

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Oh yes, I am also very glad it was a ceremony issue and not a commitment issue. Apparently semantics ARE everything, hah. I mean, it was so crazy to be having that discussion with him, only to realize that it was all for nothing. We were really on the same page all along.

Apparently to him, "being married" and "getting married" are two different things. He equates "getting married" to "ceremony"... and all he ever knew of "ceremony" was the really stuffy, straight laced, SUPER traditional stuff... which he didn''t want.

So all this time, he has been all for "being married" and doing the "paperwork thing", but didn''t want to do the stuffy, tuxedo "getting married" thing. *rolls eyes* haha. Men.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Your story made me LOL
9.gif

So engagement is in the works?? Congrats!! Hope he does it soon
9.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2009 3:49:31 AM
Author: cindygenit
Your story made me LOL
9.gif

So engagement is in the works?? Congrats!! Hope he does it soon
9.gif
I started laughing at the end too! Glad it all worked out.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
hahaha awwww....

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2009 11:42:00 PM
Author: HopeDream
Wow!!

I''m glad it was just ceremony issues and not commitment issues!

I hope now he knows that having a wedding is different than ''getting married''.

I think a beach wedding will be fabulous!!

I''m happy you two got all of that aired out - semantics are the devil''s work!
E was the exact same way. i love him, but ya. talk about dumb sometimes! also, he refused 100% getting married in a church, until i told him it would be the church I GREW up in, for sentimental reasons, not religous reasons. *sigh* BOYS.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I, too, LOLed at this. Then shared it with my officemate who''s getting married in May. She *also* LOLed.

Men can be so DENSE sometimes...but at least I''m glad you guys were able to get everything straightened out! Looking forward to hearing about your apparently impending engagement!
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/15/2009 10:45:54 PM
Author:JustLikeYou

Him: (sits in silence for about 30 seconds, which felt like a half hour) ''Oh. .. .. .. Well, if that''s your version of getting married, then lets do it tomorrow.''

Me: *blink* .. .. . *blink blink* . .. . .

*smacks forehead repeatedly*
Best LIW quote ever haha I love it!

When me and the BF have one of these moments, we chalk it up to "men being from mars" and "women being from venus", it''s the only way to explain it!
2.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA this was too funny. Poor guy. Awwwww Well at least he''s good to go now.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too funny!

Glad he wants to marry you. All men need to be given a dictionary of relationship terms as a high school graduation gift.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Wait a minute--this man told you that you should be on your way and marry somebody else if he had to don a tux in a stuffy church and read from a bible?? Don''t get me wrong, it sounds miserable to me, too, but DH and I would have worn lizzard suits and gotten married underwater if it meant getting married...and he did have commitment issues, haha.

On the upside, it''s good that you guys got past the initial discussion and found something that made you both happy. I have to admit that the first half of the story I thought "Ohhh no. Please don''t tell me this poor LIW is going to wait around for a man who told her to take a hike if she wants to get married", but by the second half it was much better, though I still thought "well that''s better, but I still can''t believe he told her to take a hike if he had to wear a tux!"

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
So funny! Glad you got that straightened out
2.gif
3.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
That is definitely hella funny! I''m glad you two got it straightened out!!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Whew! Glad everything worked out, and that language barriers have been overcome.
36.gif

Lozza

Shiny_Rock
Ha Ha, we''re definitely from different planets sometimes!

I had a similar conversation with my SO, where he said he didn''t want to get married yet because he wasn''t ''ready to give up that part of his life yet''. Given that we already lived together and shared finances etc... I Freaked out that he was still seeing other people or something. I asked exactly what he meant by this.

It turns out that he thought once he got married he couldn''t play video games or hang out with his mates anymore, he had to come home to me every night! Once I explained that I wasn''t intending to stop him having a life, he was ok.

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/16/2009 12:00:04 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Wait a minute--this man told you that you should be on your way and marry somebody else if he had to don a tux in a stuffy church and read from a bible?? Don''t get me wrong, it sounds miserable to me, too, but DH and I would have worn lizzard suits and gotten married underwater if it meant getting married...and he did have commitment issues, haha.

Well, everybody at some point says things they regret and wish they didn''t blurt out on the heat of an argument, and for him, that was one. He did apologize for that later and made it up to me, so that''s why I wasn''t so worried about it later on.

As for "impending engagement", haha, we''ll see. I told him before I wanted to wait until after graduation, which is in May, because if we start something now, I''ll get so distracted I''ll have a hard time finishing school... and after 5 years, I''m not ready to let it all go in the homestretch! So, we''ll see... a lot of my friends tell me he''ll end up proposing on graduation day, haha.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2009 12:00:31 AM
Author: JustLikeYou

Date: 10/16/2009 12:00:04 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady

Well, everybody at some point says things they regret and wish they didn''t blurt out on the heat of an argument, and for him, that was one. He did apologize for that later and made it up to me, so that''s why I wasn''t so worried about it later on.

As for ''impending engagement'', haha, we''ll see. I told him before I wanted to wait until after graduation, which is in May, because if we start something now, I''ll get so distracted I''ll have a hard time finishing school... and after 5 years, I''m not ready to let it all go in the homestretch! So, we''ll see... a lot of my friends tell me he''ll end up proposing on graduation day, haha.
Agreed! We''ve all said and done some stupid things in our relationships--there have been many times where I''ve said something and immediately wished I could take it back!

This is a very exciting time, you''re in your last year of school and you and the bf are on the same page with an engement around the corner. Good luck to you!!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
LOL!

Men are crazy, that''s my professional opinion.
3.gif

I know my FI and I have had some crazy confusing conversations about marriage/eloping. I''ve been very clear for years that I want to elope, just the two of us, and he agreed. So now, I call that the wedding, but that confuses him and makes him think that it''s a traditional wedding, then he thought we were having a small destination wedding...
20.gif
It''s amazing how you can think you are on the same page, but you are not!

Good luck moving forward!

Are you getting a pretty sparkly?
31.gif

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/19/2009 12:15:50 PM
Author: trillionaire
I know my FI and I have had some crazy confusing conversations about marriage/eloping. I've been very clear for years that I want to elope, just the two of us, and he agreed. So now, I call that the wedding, but that confuses him and makes him think that it's a traditional wedding, then he thought we were having a small destination wedding...
20.gif
It's amazing how you can think you are on the same page, but you are not!

Are you getting a pretty sparkly?
31.gif

Haha! That's us exactly! I really do think men speak a completely different version of a language and that's why there's always miscommunication.

As far as a sparkly goes, forever I have always been a low maintenance girl. I've never asked for flowers, I have told him previously to never buy me jewelry (mostly because I'm a huge klutz and either lose or break things easily), I never ask for gifts or favors. I'm an honest to goodness "quality time" kind of person. I prefer a great day out on the boat, lounging around then coming home and watching movies over getting "stuff". So, when I told him I wanted a ring, he understandably was a bit shocked, but he smiled and said "Reaallly..." in a curious tone. When I told him I didn't want a diamond (I'm just not a diamond girl, I want color), he asked me what kinds of colors I liked, what kind of ring, little questions like that. I suppose I want a small ring for sentimental reasons more than anything. I'll lose or break something big and shiny, haha.

I still don't think anything will happen for quite some time, since I don't graduate until May and he wants to get to a point where his small business is more stable. When I asked about a marriage/kids timeline, we were laying in bed and he said "well why don't we just move this ring to the other finger" and jokingly started tugging at my childhood ring (the only one I have ever worn in 15 years). (did I just get proposed to? lmao) To him, a ceremony or the like isn't a big deal. He'd get married tomorrow at the courthouse if that's what it meant. Neither of us are flashy people, but I guess it was only when I started considering marriage as a REAL option was that I realized I wanted a small ring and a small ceremony for sentimental reasons.

*sigh* Tack another one on the board for "romantically challenged men" hahaha.

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
What a great story! And what a relief that a traditional churchy wedding was all he was put off by!
31.gif
I''m really glad you have some peace about your situation; I can''t imagine if my BF told me he didn''t want to get married.

When BF and I talked about what we would like for a wedding, we both agreed that we just want a very small ceremony with just two or three friends and possibly our parents, probably not even to get dressed up for, just something to make it official that isn''t at a courthouse. And we were both soooo relieved that we agreed on that. Oh and I totally agree with you about just wanting a small, not flashy ring. I''d love to have a diamond but the thought of anything bigger than maybe .5 or .6 carats on a simple solitaire seems absurd when I think about it being on my hand. I am clumsy and I don''t dress up a lot, so some huge Tacori would be a wonderful ring, but not for my hands, haha.

My BF kept telling me "not yet" and "not any time soon" about when he would propose... And after I had a huge breakdown about being so uncertain, he basically told me it will be soon after he graduates in December. And he told me that in late September. Uh, to me, "not any time soon" meant he wouldn''t propose for another couple years. All this talk about the future turns out so much better when everyone is clear!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results