shape
carat
color
clarity

Men Punching Women in NYC

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not what it was but still a wonderful place.

Exactly. It is not what it was and it's being slowly destroyed. Don't become complacent because in another few years it will be like 80s if something does not change. Giuliani and Bloomberg did a decent job at keeping crime in check. Now we do have what is slowly becoming the wild west David. My perspective. And mark my words if something does not change I will be proven right. And in this instance I sorely do not want to be proven right. NYC is my city too. Lived there my whole life. I am clear eyed as to what is happening.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What I see Missy? From my perspective, a variety of forces are destroying the city. And it's not crime.
Unless you consider building thousands of apartments and no new schools a crime.
Unless you consider it a crime to be building "pencil" towers for oligarchs to stash their billions while never even living in the apartments they buy.
Unless it's a crime to have a tax situation where giant companies can destroy entire blocks- leave them vacant for years while they decide which new unwanted skyscraper they put up.
Unless it's a crime to allow all the construction sheds to clog the sidewalks for YEARS.
Unless it's a crime to negate zoning laws- like air rights.

And all the other conditions that are killing so many cities.
Death of walk-in retail. Block after block of vacant stores.....
At least we've still got Central Park!!
And a whole buncha other stuff...NYC ain't quite dead yet.....

And to those reading this from outside NYC...it's a safe place to visit. Take the subway...meet a bum! It's fun!!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think the tough on crime stuff is a bandaid fix and not nearly enough to solve anything that well in the long run, because it's far too late by the time someone reaches that stage. The US already has a very, very high incarceration rate compared to the rest of the world. It also happens to be very expensive for the taxpayers and doesn't "rehabilitate" many. It's largely a revolving door system, and there is a huge profit motive to keep it so re the prison industry. So perhaps we actually need far more "wokeness," not less.

The fact is, regardless of how people like to dismiss it as "excuses," when huge numbers of children are brought up with nothing, poor education available in their low income/low quality schools, in crime-infested neighborhoods, with generational poverty etc., (because those at the top are very invested in squeezing those at the bottom just as tight as they possibly can for their own benefit while trying to convince everyone there's something noble about it), a large number of those children will end up in the justice system. For ex., statistics show the foster care system to prison system to be a very solid pipeline. JMO, soapbox rant over.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I remember a poker game I participate in....a bunch of guys who've known each other for many years.
Half of the players are white, and the other half guys of color.
I remember speaking with my buddy Ronald about Guiliani/Bloomberg "Stop and Frisk" policy. This was back when Bloomberg was Mayor.
It seems to make sense I argued.
"How many times have you been stopped?" Ronald asked me.
"Never"
Ronald (a man of color) " I get stopped almost every week."
Imagine how that must feel.
Point is, it's not such a simple issue to fix. Some solutions that sound simple and reasonable may create more problems than they solve.....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth, I'd rather NYC than LA. The homelessness problem in LA is EXTREME. Combine that homelessness with mental illness and drug/alcohol addiction issues - and you're off to the races in LA. Obviously I'm not a New Yorker, but I lived in Westchester County for 13 years and my husband worked in the NYC finance district for all of those years (which means he was there All. The. Time.) and so we got a pretty good feel for it. I loved it. And I miss it. But I also agree it's changing - and not in ways for the better.

But given that I think the push of this thread is about violence against women, and that NY is just the setting for this latest example - @monarch64 - I'm with you on this. When is the last time you heard of a systemic rash of random physical violence against women, perpetuated by women? Let me think... Uhhh...that would be...NEVER. This punching women thing seems to have become almost a "thing" - it's so common. I'm not saying it doesn't happen to men (of course it does!) - but in nothing like the same percentages. You go slog a guy in the head - a fair percentage of the time he'll slog you back. You do it to a woman - she falls to the ground like a stone.

I watched a movie called WIcked Little Letters Starring Olivia Colman the other day (highly recommend!) and, while it was funny and entertaining and enthralling, the darker undercurrent was the treatment of women. It didn't bang a drum on the issue, it just showed a reasonable reflection of what women went through at the time, and the truth is - the setting has changed, but the treatment is largely the same.

Men have more muscles and women suffer from biological determinism - periods, babies, and a larger altruistic center of the brain. That gives men a degree of power women will never have. It's not in men's best interests to give that power up and, while some will do so willingly, most will continue to enjoy the privileges it gives them.

On the other hand, I truly believe that women are, in general, brighter than men. The way our brains are constructed means me have a far higher ability to multitask - both tasks, but also concepts - which, to my way of thinking - is a measure of intelligence. I think that's evolution's gift to women - men got the muscles, women got the brains. We also got the heart. That biological determinism gives us a capacity for service and love and commitment that's linked to our biology, and our contributions are wider ranging because of it.

So after decades of thinking it all through, I'd rather be able to see the bullshit women are sold about their own inabilities, reject it, understand fully that it's not true, then use my brains and abilities to be....better. Do I believe all of this? That women really have greater capacity emotionally and intellectually? Oh yes! I do!

And this is exactly why women need to act in solidarity with each other. We can outweigh men's muscular superiority by sheer numbers. We are the biggest voting block, and we need to stick together. Women supporting women. It's a thing.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@mrs-b how can you take that position???
I mean, haven't women started all the wars in history...

wait...

( I hope a little levity is appreciated)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I see Missy? From my perspective, a variety of forces are destroying the city. And it's not crime.
Unless you consider building thousands of apartments and no new schools a crime.
Unless you consider it a crime to be building "pencil" towers for oligarchs to stash their billions while never even living in the apartments they buy.
Unless it's a crime to have a tax situation where giant companies can destroy entire blocks- leave them vacant for years while they decide which new unwanted skyscraper they put up.
Unless it's a crime to allow all the construction sheds to clog the sidewalks for YEARS.

And to those reading this from outside NYC...it's a safe place to visit. Take the subway...meet a bum! It's fun!!

There are many factors at play working towards destroying our cities. And fwiw @mrs-b i agree. No thank you to California. It’s not just LA. San Francisco is a very sad situation as well

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I think the tough on crime stuff is a bandaid fix and not nearly enough to solve anything that well in the long run, because it's far too late by the time someone reaches that stage. The US already has a very, very high incarceration rate compared to the rest of the world. It also happens to be very expensive for the taxpayers and doesn't "rehabilitate" many. It's largely a revolving door system, and there is a huge profit motive to keep it so re the prison industry. So perhaps we actually need far more "wokeness," not less.

The fact is, regardless of how people like to dismiss it as "excuses," when huge numbers of children are brought up with nothing, poor education available in their low income/low quality schools, in crime-infested neighborhoods, with generational poverty etc., (because those at the top are very invested in squeezing those at the bottom just as tight as they possibly can for their own benefit while trying to convince everyone there's something noble about it), a large number of those children will end up in the justice system. For ex., statistics show the foster care system to prison system to be a very solid pipeline. JMO, soapbox rant over.

I work in a high needs area with an EXTREMELY high likelihood that many of my students will end up in this system. We do our best as a school to keep them out but you're right, the entire system is in shambles and desperate need for help. I myself am done having children but I would absolutely be a foster parent when mine are older. Not many people are willing and it's a huge part of it all. So many of the Foster parents I deal with should NOT be foster parents. It's so difficult.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t find the story online, but another moron did this, and was immediately set upon by 4 men who kicked the sh*t out of him. Karma!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond I will never not love NYC. Out of all my travels, I met some of the kindest, most interesting folks there just roaming around Manhattan. 10/10 highly recommend!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That’s awesome @monarch64
Also wanted to add my unwavering agreement that any violence against women ( or men) is totally unacceptable

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

Or, you might get punched in the face or shoved under a speeding train! Good Times!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth, I'd rather NYC than LA. The homelessness problem in LA is EXTREME. Combine that homelessness with mental illness and drug/alcohol addiction issues - and you're off to the races in LA. Obviously I'm not a New Yorker, but I lived in Westchester County for 13 years and my husband worked in the NYC finance district for all of those years (which means he was there All. The. Time.) and so we got a pretty good feel for it. I loved it. And I miss it. But I also agree it's changing - and not in ways for the better.

But given that I think the push of this thread is about violence against women, and that NY is just the setting for this latest example - @monarch64 - I'm with you on this. When is the last time you heard of a systemic rash of random physical violence against women, perpetuated by women? Let me think... Uhhh...that would be...NEVER. This punching women thing seems to have become almost a "thing" - it's so common. I'm not saying it doesn't happen to men (of course it does!) - but in nothing like the same percentages. You go slog a guy in the head - a fair percentage of the time he'll slog you back. You do it to a woman - she falls to the ground like a stone.

I watched a movie called WIcked Little Letters Starring Olivia Colman the other day (highly recommend!) and, while it was funny and entertaining and enthralling, the darker undercurrent was the treatment of women. It didn't bang a drum on the issue, it just showed a reasonable reflection of what women went through at the time, and the truth is - the setting has changed, but the treatment is largely the same.

Men have more muscles and women suffer from biological determinism - periods, babies, and a larger altruistic center of the brain. That gives men a degree of power women will never have. It's not in men's best interests to give that power up and, while some will do so willingly, most will continue to enjoy the privileges it gives them.

On the other hand, I truly believe that women are, in general, brighter than men. The way our brains are constructed means me have a far higher ability to multitask - both tasks, but also concepts - which, to my way of thinking - is a measure of intelligence. I think that's evolution's gift to women - men got the muscles, women got the brains. We also got the heart. That biological determinism gives us a capacity for service and love and commitment that's linked to our biology, and our contributions are wider ranging because of it.

So after decades of thinking it all through, I'd rather be able to see the bullshit women are sold about their own inabilities, reject it, understand fully that it's not true, then use my brains and abilities to be....better. Do I believe all of this? That women really have greater capacity emotionally and intellectually? Oh yes! I do!

And this is exactly why women need to act in solidarity with each other. We can outweigh men's muscular superiority by sheer numbers. We are the biggest voting block, and we need to stick together. Women supporting women. It's a thing.

Thank you for this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happened again but this time a little girl. Yeah. NYC is very safe. :(2

"
Police are looking for a man who punched a 9-year-old girl at Grand Central Terminal on Saturday morning, according to police.

The young victim was standing near her mother near the dining concourse when the assailant approached and punched the child in the face in an unprovoked attack. The 9-year-old girl suffered dizziness and pain and was transported to NYU Langone Tisch Hospital for treatment, authorities said.

NYC teacher’s aide arrested again, sent illicit texts to students: NYPD
According to officials, the suspect is known to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority Police Department.

Police are now searching for Jean Carlos Zarzuela a 30-year-old male. Zarzuela is 5 feet 7 inches and weighs about 150 lbs. He was last seen fleeing Grand Central Terminal to parts unknown, police said. "

"Known to police"... because here we are. Another career criminal set free to hurt others again and again. Way to go NYC politicians...way to go

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We are right back to where we were in the late 80’s early ‘90’s. Criminals rule the streets and citizens suffer…..and we arguably live in one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. When we retire, we are done with nyc.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are right back to where we were in the late 80’s early ‘90’s. Criminals rule the streets and citizens suffer…..and we arguably live in one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. When we retire, we are done with nyc.

Yes I agree Rocks. It’s very interesting (fascinating really) to see others deny this. I think some just can’t acknowledge the reality. I’ve seen it with other current events too. Human beings are complex beings and capable of denying what’s right in front of them unfortunately

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I agree Rocks. It’s very interesting (fascinating really) to see others deny this. I think some just can’t acknowledge the reality. I’ve seen it with other current events too. Human beings are complex beings and capable of denying what’s right in front of them unfortunately

Until they, or someone close to them is the victim.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NYC does not make the top 10
If we were to monitor local news of pretty much any major city you’ll find terrible incidents.
The world? It’s completely messed up. NYC, at this point in time? Still pretty decent and relatively safe.
But for those afraid to walk the streets… it’s just sad. You get one life.
I miss quite a lot about NYC.

However, yesterday we went to Mamouns Felafel. Down in the Village. It was truly a lovely day. And the city was packed with people enjoying the day…. it was glorious. We used to pay a 1.75 and now it’s $8 for a felafel. But that’s life.
Where exactly is shangrila with zero problems???

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NYC does not make the top 10
If we were to monitor local news of pretty much any major city you’ll find terrible incidents.
The world? It’s completely messed up. NYC, at this point in time? Still pretty decent and relatively safe.
But for those afraid to walk the streets… it’s just sad. You get one life.
I miss quite a lot about NYC.

However, yesterday we went to Mamouns Felafel. Down in the Village. It was truly a lovely day. And the city was packed with people enjoying the day…. it was glorious. We used to pay a 1.75 and now it’s $8 for a felafel. But that’s life.
Where exactly is shangrila with zero problems???

First of all I realize there are more dangerous cities than NYC. That doesn’t bring me comfort however. Another’s misery does nothing to alleviate ours. Second of all since many crimes aren’t being prosecuted etc the statistics are skewed. In other words these stats are not trustworthy imo

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
First of all I realize there are more dangerous cities than NYC. That doesn’t bring me comfort however. Another’s misery does nothing to alleviate ours. Second of all since many crimes aren’t being prosecuted etc the statistics are skewed. In other words these stats are not trustworthy imo

You hit it right on the head, Missy. NYC crime would most likely blow other cities away, if it was recorded and reported. I always wanted to see NYC and it was on our list, no more though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You hit it right on the head, Missy. NYC crime would most likely blow other cities away, if it was recorded and reported. I always wanted to see NYC and it was on our list, no more though.

I’m sorry you never got to enjoy NYC. It was an incredible city. I hope someday it’ll be restored. But not if we keep going on the same trajectory that’s for sure

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So, the thought is that all hell’s breaking loose in NYC and all the news media, statistic takers, governments are hiding the mayhem???

My position is totally in agreement that politicians are screwing things up. Violence sucks. Anywhere.

But the city of New York is STILL an amazing place to visit and even live.

It’s sad- either people have been actual victims, in which case the disdain for NYC seems understandable ….. or, the news media is creating fear where needlessly. Which seems to be the case.
Having lived through here my whole life, I have been the victim of crime/ violence but many years ago.
The city is a different place today.
So where is a safe city?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My position is totally in agreement that politicians are screwing things up. Violence sucks. Anywhere.

David, this we are 100% in agreement about.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Second of all since many crimes aren’t being prosecuted etc the statistics are skewed. In other words these stats are not trustworthy imo
In IL which has the same garbage system the police are instructed in my area that if the prosecutor will not press that crime to not take a report at all. That way the crime and the criminal dont show up in the statistics.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@missy ....are you still riding? Central Park drive is such a great place to ride. I honestly believe you'd feel quite safe and at home taking a few tours around our amazing park.....

In IL which has the same garbage system the police are instructed in my area that if the prosecutor will not press that crime to not take a report at all. That way the crime and the criminal dont show up in the statistics.

I'm sure this is true here too.
I am not defending NYPD....my viewpoint is gleaned from my experiences. Just today I rode to our office- my route takes me directly through neighborhoods with terrible reputations......and I ride this way frequently. I never feel unsafe.

It wasn't like this back in the '70's and '80's. It was MUCH MORE DANGEROUS back then...again, based solely on my life experiences ..... although I'm, pretty sure stats back this up....for whatever stats are worth.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy ....are you still riding? Central Park drive is such a great place to ride. I honestly believe you'd feel quite safe and at home taking a few tours around our amazing park.....

I'm sure this is true here too.
I am not defending NYPD....my viewpoint is gleaned from my experiences. Just today I rode to our office- my route takes me directly through neighborhoods with terrible reputations......and I ride this way frequently. I never feel unsafe.

It wasn't like this back in the '70's and '80's. It was MUCH MORE DANGEROUS back then...again, based solely on my life experiences ..... although I'm, pretty sure stats back this up....for whatever stats are worth.

Yes we love cycling still. We cycle at the jersey shore now. It’s beautiful here. Great cycling. If you’re ever in the area (Monmouth County) let me know

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it’s definitely not just a NYC thing, even though that’s where things are going down right now.

It’s a worldwide epidemic of violence against women in every city, in every country.

Women: we are more than half the population. We have to rise up!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad they caught the guy. Suckage that he was on the streets.

Aside- yesterday I was an Arapahoe Basin, waiting for my kids who were skiing. I ran into two 80 year old guys who were coming off the slopes. Kudos to them!
So we started chatting.
They were from Dallas. When I mentioned where I was from the tsk’d. “Wow, I hope they get that place in order!!”
As if Dallas is some sort of crimeless paradise. They’re about equal ( chart I found online) IMG_5662.jpeg
But the fact they bought the BS that NYC is somehow hell on earth. So sad.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a peach:

And I bet he will be released soon (if he hasn't already been released)...We shall see

Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 6.18.44 AM.png

Here we go again @Rockdiamond maybe it makes you feel better but it sure doesn't make everyone feel better that Texas is up there in crime. Additionally we already discussed the warping of the so called "statistics". Our NYC politicians are not prosecuting crime/arresting criminals so the statistics are not accurate. Do you think 90 unprovoked attacks (and that is only what was reported and I am confident that number is unfortunately higher) is acceptable? Since January? No. If you do you are a victim too. Of desensitization.

Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 6.25.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 6.25.12 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 6.25.47 AM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results